1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] So...How's R&F?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Wingednosering, Feb 12, 2018.

?

Has R&F met your expectations?

1. Even better than I expected

74 vote(s)
    29.8%
  2. It's good, as expected

123 vote(s)
    49.6%
  3. It's good, but I wasn't expecting much

28 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. It isn't very good, no surprise

22 vote(s)
    8.9%
  5. It is terrible. I had such high hopes!

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. Roald Amundsen

Roald Amundsen Warlord

It's still a buggy game. In my last game I had my ally declare war on me while still being my ally. That's quite a gamebraking bug in my book. So I've had enough already. Waiting for patch.

2. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Prince

Eras and loyalty: I really enjoy the eras and loyalty system. I like watching the AI lose cities due to placing them too close to another civilization and greatly enjoy watching cities flip. In my first game with the expansion, the Zulu were eliminated because its citizens were disloyal and caused their last city to flip. I do find it a bit too easy to get to obtain golden ages though.

Governors: I really enjoy the governors but have concerns about overall balance. I find Reyna, Amani, and Pingala to be indispensible. Magnus is very powerful and Liang is quite useful. I rarely employ Victor since I'm usually not being attacked. Moksha just can't compete with the others and needs to be buffed.

Emergencies: While I like the idea, in practice they are too far and few between. I'm actually surprised they are not declared more. In my last game with the Cree, I was leading in all four victory conditions and never had one declared against me.

Alliances: I am very happy with the changes to the Alliance system but I do think they grow a little too slowly. I have yet to ever have one grow beyond level 2. Still, I appreciate the changes and the fact other civs are willing to enter into an alliance with me.

Government Plaza: I also enjoy the plaza and utilize it frequently. The extra governor point is useful and the various buildings are all interesting.

Overall, I am very pleased with the expansion. Now if they could only fix the music bugs...

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I enjoyed my first game as the Mapuche, although I barely got to use Swift Hawk and I won before the Chemamulls could generate Tourism. They do help you rip through the Civic tree though. As a habitual tile pillager, The Malon Raiders were fun. I knocked the Zulus from 2nd in Science to 5th without even taking a city after they attacked me.

I'm currently playing the Dutch and the Grote Rivieren is quite nice. I got a jungle start and my Campuses are all +4 or more despite a general lack of mountains. Theater Squares are producing above average too. I haven't gotten to Industrial Zones yet, but I am eager. I was able to forward-settle Japan a little and kept the city from flipping with a governor and Radio Oranje until it gained enough population to resist Japanese loyalty.

Thormodr and ChocolateShake like this.
  4. Ever Adrift

Ever Adrift Warlord

If you spawn near a good system or set of close and twisty rivers as Wilhelmina you are set to become a cultural/industrial powerhouse. She generates enough science to keep pace with most civs and the immense adjacency bonuses to theater squares in particular are better than any other civ's for focusing on culture victories. The powerful industrial district bonuses allow you to ramp production for wonders. Meanwhile, you'll be getting great people of all types in numbers only beaten by Pedro, Mvemba and perhaps Peter.

Her bonuses to trade routes shouldn't be overlooked. They help improve loyalty (making a lot of internal trade routes can make surviving a Dark Age considerably easier while helping to promote population growth - it can also help when forward settling) and culture (which gets boosted by the very cultural alliances they'll push you to establish). Polders are not the most useful UI due to placement restrictions, but they do help make lakes more attractive and can improve the overall usefulness of coastal cities.

She's definitely an overall favorite of mine and one of the best cultural civs in the game.

Thormodr and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  5. Timothy001

Timothy001 Prince

I voted better. I was expecting problems with the new systems. The only issue I have had, is I have not seen an emergency. Love the new Civs, love the new mechanics.
    Hoping for more DLCs in the future.

Thormodr likes this.
  6. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

Well, it CTD's repeatedly after turn 200. So I'd say it's not too good.

7. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

There are several large lakes in my region that I am looking forward to Polderizing, including a 6 tile rectangular lake right next to Amsterdam. Huey is going to go there.:smug:

Ondolindë likes this.
  8. valerislysander

valerislysander Chieftain

The late game is much improved, which I am so glad about. A lot more interesting things going on in mid-late game to keep the game interesting and the whole game feels much better balancedr. Science has had a hit so my games dont feel like things are moving to quickly anymore

9. Sven

Sven Chieftain

How about the "City Screen". Can you sort it now?

10. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

No. The interface has remained essentially unchanged - they've replaced the 'Reports' tab with an icon, but there have been no changes to the actual report screens.

I'm always confused as to why Firaxis insists on making its interfaces progressively worse, and must be aware of the complaints this generates, and yet never does anything to improve them when the code demonstrably exists to do so. We still have the city screen divided into pieces, we still have unsortable reports screens, there is still no clarity in the culture victory interface regarding how domestic tourism is calculated etc.

ZubieMaster likes this.
  11. Smity2k1

Smity2k1 Warlord

New mechanics are nice. After some bug fixes and balancing it should be a superb addition to Civ!

Thormodr likes this.
  12. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Yeah, with all of the nice new changes I don't know why we can't sort by columns.

ZubieMaster likes this.
  13. Sven

Sven Chieftain

Agreed.

14. MaximusPlatypus

MaximusPlatypus O.O

The trade route interface is still a hot mess. Anyone got a good mod for that?

15. ChocolateShake

ChocolateShake Prince

Would you mind sharing which aspects you dislike? Is it the number of systems that the expansion adds in addition to the ones in the base game?

16. Ever Adrift

Ever Adrift Warlord

That is one of the current in-game systems I hope the next expansion addresses (I would really like to see them figure out how to do an economic victory which would likely require a revamp of trade). The trade system feels more important and useful than in previous games, but it is not designed in the most user-friendly way.

I also still believe the tech and culture trees need a real, significant revamp. There needs to be another era before industrial (most likely add the Enlightenment as an era between the Renaissance and Industrial eras). There are still some sizable holes and neither tree feels complete. I've seen a few mods that try and address this which have been decent, but I'd like to see Firaxis tackle it. Also, they do need to sync the trees a bit better - I find it unenjoyable when I'm in the Medieval era in the tech tree and industrial era in the culture tree... and I play with 8 Ages of Pace on!

17. Zike

Zike Chieftain

Honestly quite a fail expansion tbh. It doesn't really address any of the issues the base game had.

Even the so called 'tall' tier 1 government building is completely great when you're going wide, while the AI still is utterly crap. Religion is still fairly bad, bar a few beliefs, but now it's a full on currency. You can just get the tier 2 building to buy land units or a dedication and it's basically the same as gold. Still don't see why we need another currency in the game.

Every Deity game I play is won long before the game ends, primarily because the AI refuses to build campuses most the time.

Unless every CS gets wiped off the map, wide will always be better than tall in this game. You could go tall all you want, and I would always be able to beat you wide because of how crappy tall is.

Sadly the game chock full of bugs and exploits, and I really don't see much point in all the new systems when the AI has no clue how to use any of them.

Everything is even easier now that oligarchy legacy card stacks with oligarchy, and AI loves you to have trading posts and other crap in their cities. Easy +4 +4 +3 combat strength every time.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    ZubieMaster likes this.
  18. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Your spies have names too. :p And also your diplomats (the ones that give you gossip).

Thormodr likes this.
  19. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

My rose-tinted glasses insist that II was, is, and always will be the pinnacle of the civ series.
    Don't tell the old girl, but VI is rapidly becoming my new favorite...

Thormodr likes this.
  20. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I loved Civ II, as well. cIV is definitely the pinnacle of the series, IMHO.

However, Civ VI is really a lot of fun and I am thoroughly enjoying the expansion so...things could change...:love:

Something about Even numbered Civs. :thumbsup: