So I just saw the live action Mulan remake...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Joij21, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

It was horrible! Just finished watching it minutes ago. Why? Why?! Why even make this when the original cartoon had more soul to it? This was just boring, had horrendous CGI, and like no music for half the movie! Acting was horrible as well, bad jokes, bad dialogue/lack of dialogue (also didn't help that half the voices were dubbed over actors who's first language isn't English), and lacked the wit of the cartoon. Felt more like a B rated action movie made by a studio that makes rip offs of Disney related properties illegally. But no!! It WAS made by Disney!!

I think I hate my life more after watching it. Can Disney just like die of cancer or something? I'm sick of their greed perpetuating them to make soulless remakes of movies that never had to be remade in the first place.

Zkribbler and Kyriakos like this.
  2. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I'm sorry, I didn't realize Mulan remake killed your family.

That's the only reason I can think of for this much anger over Mulan. It wasn't a great movie that managed to make the grandeur of Imperial China drab and boring, with awkward plot elements nobody asked for and an overall poor execution across the board - from story beats to cinematography to storyboarding.

3. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I said something like this after they remade the movies from the '60s and '70s that didn't need remaking.

But I guess those decades are basically incomprehensible to anyone born earlier than the internet era.

Shame, since they miss out on so much good stuff.

GenMarshall likes this.
  4. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Walt Disney did die from lung cancer. He was a heavy smoker.

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  5. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

Mulan. More like Booolan if you ask me.

El_Machinae likes this.
  6. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Doesn't this movie suck because the studios bowed down to Chinese censors and altered the story accordingly? That's what I read somewhere so it's got to be true.

Big mainstream blockbuster movies (not that this is necessarily an example of one) have been trending in this direction for some time - attempting to appease the censors in the world's largest market. Can you remember the last big action movie in which the big baddies were Chinese communists? Neither can I. These days whenever China pops up in a big blockbuster Hollywood production, they tend to be the good guys. (Hmm I wonder why)

On top of the censorship.. Another issue with attempting to create a movie that appeals to the lowest common denominator in multiple markets that differ in culture.. is that you end up pandering to cultural artefacts that might not be so easily understood in the other market you're trying to sell the movie in. So you end up having to water everything down.

Isn't this a part of the reason why the new Star Wars movies were such a mess, with so many missed opportunities? Finn wasn't given the story that was initially planned for him because Disney ended up pandering to racists in certain markets that would have not accepted a black hero, right? I've also heard that force ghosts were excluded and rewritten in certain parts of the movie because ghosts are illegal in China.

Anyhow, that's why I watch less and less blockbuster movies. Anything written for the lowest common denominator right away has a high chance of sucking. But when you spread that out to include other markets, the chances of it sucking go up way more. Movies made by smaller and/or indie studios tend to be more interesting these days, since there are no censors holding anyone back.. and there are no racists to pander to, so you can tell whatever story you were initially planning on telling.

aelf and KaibaCorp like this.
  7. PhroX

PhroX Deity

Haven't seen it, but from what I've read, it doesn't even have the song does it? How could they leave out the best bit of the original?

8. stinkubus

stinkubus Emperor

Literally LOL'ing because I knew what was going to be said before I even clicked on the thread.

9. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

Probably because they'd have to pay the people who made it royalties. Which modern Disney hates because they want full control of all IP they sell.

10. KaibaCorp

KaibaCorp Warlord

Y’all all summed up the movie’s issues pretty concisely far. Too many cooks in the censorship kitchen: Disney’s current signature move.
    This video is a great watch for a deep dive into what’s so soulless about the remake and what made the 90’s animated one so good:

Birdjaguar likes this.
  11. stinkubus

stinkubus Emperor

I think the idea that women fighting in wars (which no one should be fighting) counts as empowerment might be "problematic" as the kids say.

12. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Reasons why this movie is bad:
    • Filmed in Xinjiang, not too far from concentration camps for Uighurs.
    • Introduction of the concept of chi in a way that undermines Mulan's merits as a person and a woman from the cartoon version.
    • Empty and Disneyfied, but without the aesthetics that make people like Disney stuff.
    Not reasons why this movie is bad:
    • Lack of Mushu. If it's intended for a more diverse global audience, then excluding Mushu is the right decision because the humour and character are alienating to some.
    • Lack of humour like the cartoon version. Same reason as above. Mulan is almost never a humorous story.
    • Lack of songs. Debateable because admittedly those are part of the Disney aesthetics.

Gorbles likes this.
  13. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

I guess I will have watch it now.

14. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

I think Finn's main problem was lack of planing.

They didn't write out out the trilogy scripts or even have a storyboard so the pushed Rey really hard with no coherent story.

15. Kyriakos

Kyriakos The Eternal

I haven't watched the animation, and won't watch the live action either, but comparing them (from the videos provided) it is impossible to miss that the heroine clearly now belongs to a different ethnic group.

16. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Don't do it!!! :run:

Birdjaguar and Lexicus like this.
  17. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

The movie was a resounding "meh", as all of the live action remakes have been.

18. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

I kind of liked the Aladdin one.

19. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I tend to think the last decent Disney movie was Robin Hood (1973) and the high point Jungle Book (1967).

Samson likes this.
  20. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Maleficent was pretty good.