1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So, if a type of luxury only good for up to 4 cities..

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by mzprox, Oct 25, 2016.

1. mzprox

mzprox Prince

..why does the ai buys each copy of it? Makes no sense..

2. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Each copy of a luxury provides amenities to four cities. If you have 5-8 cities, then you'll need two copies to give one amenity to each city.

3. mzprox

mzprox Prince

I keep hearing that this is not true. I'm too lazy to test it myself.. someone has probably done it

4. criZp

criZp Emperor

I gave away a bunch of excess luxuries and on the next turn my city amenities and happiness was unchanged, I had 16 cities when I tried.

So all your copies of one type is only good for 4 cities and some trading

5. isau

isau Deity

I think it's simpler than this but may be wrong.

As I understand it, basically your total amenities from luxuries = number of unique luxes you have x4.

So if you have 30 total population (no matter where they are located) and 6 unique luxuries you've got 6 x 4 = 24 total amenities to distribute to 30 population. You'd need 6 additional amenities from other sources (buildings etc) to make up the difference.

That's a simplified version of it. It's much more complex in practice because a single city can't have multiple amenities from the same luxury. Or at least I don't think they can. Possibly I am wrong about this. Where it would really matter would be like a hypothetical Venice one city challenge. A single city probably can't get multiple copies of the same luxury. So if Venice started with diamonds, silk, and spices, I think they would only get +3 amenities for that city, not +12. If they built additional cities and grabbed no new resources, each city up to the first 4 would also have +3 amenities from luxuries. I think.

6. Zuizgond

Zuizgond Prince

Pretty sure it's one type of luxury for 4 cities, no matter how many copies you have. But that's typically the type of things that should be clearly mentioned in the civilopedia.

7. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

I haven't actually investigated this. I'm just repeated what I've seen on YouTube. Has the implementation changed since pre-release? Does the AI know that? :)

8. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

It is just 4 amenities from a unique luxury. Extra copies of that luxury provide no additional amenities, regardless of how many cities you have.

As for the question posed by the OP (why does the AI seem to want to buy extra luxuries?), that is probably an AI trading glitch, and not any indication that somehow extra luxuries actually have value to the AI.

dexters likes this.
  9. esoba

esoba Warlord

Another AI trading glitch is that they want so much gold from you if you are trading for lux items at first. However, if you put a lump sum of 100, then ask to make it a better deal, it will drop the gold per turn to a reasonable 3-8 gpt instead of the 22 they insist on at first.

10. Heikki Mustonen

Heikki Mustonen Chieftain

I can confirm it is only 4 cities per unique luxury no matter how many copies you have them. I have a game where I have 15 cities, a ton of copies of each luxury and my cities only get 44 amenities total from 10 types of different luxury. Two of those luxuries are from Zanzibar and those give 6 cities each.

This probably is a smart way to avoid very wide empires.

11. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

Back to the OP, if the AI is buying copies it already has, you should report that as a bug. That's a great exploit for the player.

12. Returning Lurker

Returning Lurker Prince

Are you serious?! I thought the entire point of "Each luxury only helps 4 cities" was specifically MADE to alleviate the uselessness of extra luxuries by actually giving them a purpose beyond trading them away for of "literally anything at all". Are you certain that having extra copies does frick all again? If so that is so monumentally stupid and completely backwards.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  13. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Right, and this threw me for a loop for a long time. The AI also loves to sell you a copy of a luxury you already have for a copy of luxury they don't have. Totally not fair trade!