so if i leave my civ and play independent

deviant devin

Chieftain
i know i will lose the techs where i was not the MVP. so do i lose the units for those respective techs?(would my legions turn back to warriors?)

if i use science to learn all of the old techs, will i get my buildings back(like library, iron forge etc). it is still pretty early in the game, we have learned 11 total techs.

can i invade other civs if i am independent? will i have to make a new country and use closed borders? i assume the old country will keep all of the techs where i was the MVP. i am doing all of the work for my civ, it is getting boring.

edit, before you say i am a prick etc, this will just make the game more interesting for the rest of them, and for me. it is quickly becoming a game where my country squashes the rest of the world and i am far and away the #1 player

Your legions wont be there until you discover iron crafting. If you got an army of 100 legions and you go independent, you wont have an army at all.

I dont think you will lose your buildings, but you cant build any new iron forges until you got iron crafting.

You cant attack civs when you are independent. If you want a solo-civ research masonry and create your own civ.

yeah i left and i may have messed up. my legions were on a battlefield. even when i unlock iron crafting, i may not get them back, because they were not technically in my army anymore. will see soon enough.

the techs cost a ton. i mean even pottery was 3600 science, i cant creat a civ just yet, it is making me wait 1 hour.

You do keep your units, and can use them in fights. However, you can't build/buy/sell units that you don't have the techs for.

You keep all your buildings, even if you don't know how to build them. You can't build new ones unless you know how. I haven't experimented with "moving" an existing building that I can't build.

You can continue researching whichever tech you were researching before you left, even if you no longer have prerequisites. 20 hours after you form your own civ, you fill in your tech tree from winning a battle.

In my experience, mid-late game people are very reluctant to switch civs, and the ones that do are the active ones. I have in three separate games now formed my own civ late-game. (Actually, I join a civ which consists of one inactive player, and immediately boot them with meritocracy). No one joins me until after I win a few eras. Even then, the people that join me are the sort of people that I'd rather have been playing with since the beginning.

Civics are incredibly powerful when you have your own civ. In particular, you can choose something like religious freedom when you harvest (+1 happiness), while having something else the rest of the time. Also keep in mind the wonder events such as secret weapon only need two great people, and you have excellent power in timing when it gets built.

If you like fame, you can get a bunch of medals all over again. You may have for example 10 economic medals, and the goal for your current civ may be 1,000,000 gold. If you only have a couple thousand gold when you join the new civ, the goal starts over again. Similarly, you may have already received a medal for building a ginormous bank. As long as you don't have one when you join the new civ, you can get credit again in the new civ. Fortunately, this makes it easier to get king promptly in the new civ, allowing you to enact meritocracy right away to get rid of the previous occupant.

You do keep your units, and can use them in fights. However, you can't build/buy/sell units that you don't have the techs for.

You keep all your buildings, even if you don't know how to build them. You can't build new ones unless you know how. I haven't experimented with "moving" an existing building that I can't build.

You can continue researching whichever tech you were researching before you left, even if you no longer have prerequisites. 20 hours after you form your own civ, you fill in your tech tree from winning a battle.

In my experience, mid-late game people are very reluctant to switch civs, and the ones that do are the active ones. I have in three separate games now formed my own civ late-game. (Actually, I join a civ which consists of one inactive player, and immediately boot them with meritocracy). No one joins me until after I win a few eras. Even then, the people that join me are the sort of people that I'd rather have been playing with since the beginning.

Civics are incredibly powerful when you have your own civ. In particular, you can choose something like religious freedom when you harvest (+1 happiness), while having something else the rest of the time. Also keep in mind the wonder events such as secret weapon only need two great people, and you have excellent power in timing when it gets built.

If you like fame, you can get a bunch of medals all over again. You may have for example 10 economic medals, and the goal for your current civ may be 1,000,000 gold. If you only have a couple thousand gold when you join the new civ, the goal starts over again. Similarly, you may have already received a medal for building a ginormous bank. As long as you don't have one when you join the new civ, you can get credit again in the new civ. Fortunately, this makes it easier to get king promptly in the new civ, allowing you to enact meritocracy right away to get rid of the previous occupant.

The only time I did this, I followed the exact same takeover process of an existing civ with a single member, but as I was not the cultural minister I couldn't finish any wonders to become the minister. Everything required two but I could only put in one GP. How do you get around that?

As the only member, you can switch civic any time. "Freedom of Speech" gives "unlimited wonder construction", which allows any player to contribute any number of great people. It's one of the civics available right from the beginning. I haven't ever seen any other civ claim it.

There's also a special auction item you can get, some cave painting thingy, that makes you the minister of everything in your civ.

I've noticed that. Does it at least always give you a ministry that you don't have? (Assuming you don't have all six already...)

Nope. It can give you a ministry you already have, making it more worthless than it already is.

Also keep in mind the wonder events such as secret weapon only need two great people, and you have excellent power in timing when it gets built.
A 3 player civ also only requires 2 great people for all the wonder events. I think it's when you add the 4th person that it adds 1 more great person to the requirement.

Plus with 3 players you can take turns being the minister of the interior to gain additional harvests. Roughly every other harvest the MI uses will grant a free harvest to one of the other two members. Then there's the bonus science and moves when one of you completes a maze and the bonus culture from puzzle double swaps.

Me, my wife and a friend of mine have been running a 3 person civ for the last two games we played. We did well the first time. In our current game, we've been winning a lot of the science victories, because we can easily build the Voyage of Discovery event to double our science. Most of the time when it comes up, one of us ends up having to switch off the era winning tech so when it's built we don't waste several thousand science. After it's built, that person sells off the excess science, including what we'll get from completing the maze at least once each from all the bonus moves VoD gave us. That person then rejoins the era winning tech, we all complete the maze and the tech, start the next tech and buy back all that science we just sold. This gives us a significant jump-start on the next era winning tech. Therefore, IMO, a 3 person civ is the way to go. You'll probably have to keep closed borders up all or most of the time, but the -25% gold income is well worth it.

Top Bottom