1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So is ancient/classical great admiral b-roken! Or not?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by jg4444, Jun 26, 2012.

1. jg4444

jg4444 Chieftain

Ever explore your continent have tons of extra luxuries to sell and no one on your continent will buy them? Never fear the super explorer great admiral is here. Just get a great admiral in any number of ways in ancient / classical era and you too can explore all the oceans , find new civs, get the discovery CS gold/ faith bonus, centuries before discovering caravels. Be first every time.

Is this broken or working as intended . Should ancient great admirals be able to cross oceans?

2. civnoob13

civnoob13 King

It's probably not intended but to me that's a much needed buff and an interesting new way to use a great admiral.

3. MaximusK

MaximusK Warlord

My question regarding this . . . is the GA vulnerable to barb boats?

Otherwise, I think it is a great aspect of this particular great person. I would prefer the ability to build a coastal naval station that boats can enter for rapid healing (two on either side of an isthmus = canal?)

4. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

this needs corrected because it makes polynesia less good if anyone can do it.

5. Calouste

Calouste Deity

* Offer does not apply when Polynesia is in the game.

6. fromar

fromar Warlord

I would think he would be vulnerable* to the barbs, but as long as he stays in ocean tiles, he will be safe. Galleys can't travel into the deep waters to kill him.

*Untested theory

7. jg4444

jg4444 Chieftain

Haha forgot about them. Never played them much

8. cuc

cuc Warlord

If this is intended, it actually makes for a good reason that the sea explorers like Columbus should be moved from Great Merchants into Great Admirals.

9. Ulthwithian

Ulthwithian King

thadian: I would actually think this is an unanticipated buff to Polynesia if they can get their opponents in a Sea game to burn, say, their GP from finishing Liberty on a GAd rather than something that helps their own strategy. Remember, free GP now increase the cost of future GP.

About the only Civ this doesn't apply to is the Maya, and even they have to wait-ish.

10. Lugh

Lugh Prince

Yep. My 'learning experience' admiral was first damaged by a galley, and later finished off by a barb archer ranged attack.

11. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

It's not that easy to get a Great Admiral early in the game... you might do so by giving up a much better Great Person, but that's a lot to give up just to be able to explore the world early.

12. Babri

Babri Emperor

Definately a bug. Need to be fixed.

13. Brichals

Brichals King

I don't know actually, it's a long way to caravel and they are often unwanted techs at the time but necessary for exploration. Great Admiral if it can go in oceans so early does seem wrong to me. It seems more powerful than a free wonder or tech now there are less beelines in G&K.

14. Draskar

Draskar Warlord

Agree!

15. draaibaar

draaibaar Warlord

Great Admiral should be renamed as Great Explorer

16. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

If you work that hard to get one or if you can choose one that early then go out and explore the oceans, isn't that pretty much all he can do. Polynesia doesn't have to work for it to be able to do this and they can also take a scout or a warrior and alternate ocean/land.

IMO, this is a storm in a teacup. But it should be reported in the list of possible bugs anyhow (is there an official thread for that yet?).

17. merubhanot

merubhanot Chieftain

It occurs to me that I got one of these and started exploring with it without really realizing that it was somewhat OP in a Fractal game, and actually got kind of frustrated. Without some sort of buff, he's kind of slow and doesnt see very far, so even on a small or tiny map he's not very efficient at scouting out territory. I think by the time I'd seen half of it or so I'd already semi-beelined to caravels anyway..

So I don't think it's OP or that they really need to change it unless this is not an intended ability of the Admiral

18. fenwayb

fenwayb Chieftain

that would be really cool...

19. Ghonasiflaids

Ghonasiflaids Warlord

If this is true, its ABSOLUTELY broken in marathon games.

20. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

I think this must have happened the other way around. The Great Admiral is a civilian boat, like a Work Boat. It has no defense and just gets hoovered up by enemy ships, as your Great General would be on land.

In my experience, getting the Admiral from the capital (or wherever) to the front of the naval battle has been the hardest part. Especially if it is born in an inland sea! :lol: