So is Civ5 better than Civ4 yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobeBrown

Warlord
Hey guys,

I've been reading the various threads in the forum, but I thought I'd just ask the question straight. Is Civ5 now better than Civ4 with its expansions?

I'm an old Civ4 player and I play my own mod on Civ4 that has so many features that have been created by the Civfanatics community and I've always been skeptical whether if Civ5 is good.
Thanks in advance for your kind advice!

I can be of no help to yah, as I was sold over a long time ago by G+K.

I don't if any of us could convince you with an avatar like that.

Lets hope that this thread doesn't degenerate into a troll fest by either side.

As to the answer: Yes and no. It could have been had all the announced changes worked as they were supposed to and the frigging AI instead was fixed permanently instead of been switched with multiple personalities after each patch/exp/update like a person with schizophrenia. But as of right now I lean towards no. It can be though with the upcoming 3 to 5 patches.

I vote yes, Civilization V with all expansions is preferable to Civilization IV with all expansions. Although at the launch, and for some time after, Civilization V had very serious issues, it is now of premier quality and an excellent game.

The religion features, the world congress, city states, the ideological system, the overall unit and military system, trade routes, and several other features of the game operate in a highly satisfactory fashion (though improvement can still occur).

I like both games, but Civilization V now has the edge.

Been playing Civ 4 BTS on and off for a few years, and I was waiting for a "complete edition" of Civ 5 before buying, but last Friday I couldn't resist when I saw the flash sale on steam (got all DLCs + BNW for 30$).

So here's my (biased) 2 cents. Overall I like Civ 5 better, in no particular order:
- Better graphics, yet running fine on my 5 years old computer
- Less micromanagement (less cities, less workers), but what you micromanage is still very important (be careful with roads)
- No need to build transports to move your units oversea
- Hexagonal tiles
- Better interface, I really like the event list where you can click on each event one by one to miss nothing
- Trade routes, a good example of an interesting mechanism that doesn't require too much micromanagement
- Strategic resources limiting the number of units you can build

I'm not sure about 1 unit per tile. It's a good idea and it works well early game, but late game when you have a lot of units with different range, and you have to move on hills or in forests, it's a big mess.

Also some people think that Civ 4 has deeper strategy, but I think that it is more about carefully planning everything, micromanaging workers and cities, and knowing every mechanism by heart (for example overflow). In Civ 5 you still have to think, but it's just less "hardcore", and for me it's less "painful" to play (never liked having to micromanage 30 cities and 30 workers late game).

Anyway, I don't think I could go back to Civ 4 and enjoy it as much as Civ 5 now. The game just looks better, requires less micromanagement (yet there's still a lot of important decisions to make), and overall I'm having more fun. But then it's all new and fresh to me so I'm biased.

Moderator Action:
Moderator Action: Utter freakin' hell. We don't need a thread like this every month.
People who don't like Civ5 and prefer to play Civ4 should please stay in the Civ4 forums.
God damnit.
Thread closed.

...and that was just 4 days ago *sigh*.
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom