1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So, is Consulates still that good?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by arand86, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Muskie

Muskie Warlord

I was a long time big advocate of Patronage but I too like Commerce, buying the pikeman is fun. I still open patronage as now I think it is possible to build forbidden city, before the AI used to always build that now that I am probably playing a difficulty level down I can build it. Those extra two votes are big even if you never finish off Patronage.

Opening social policies to be able to build the special wonder seems a viable tactic to me.

I generally go all Tradition. Then my next one is often commerce, but I usually go back to Patronage at some point prior to opening Rationalism. Once I have rationalism open I usually industrialize and choose my ideology.

I then cherry pick based on the situation in the world and what victory condition I think I can achieve. I want to optimize more for science or possibly play against type and go for domination, but most of my victories are diplomatic, patronage helps.

Choosing the first ideology actually hurts diplomatic victory, usually the AI goes against you to get the two free traits. Sometimes I take the sea ideology as the AI player in the lead if I'm not the first to choose an ideology. Losing one trait is a small price to pay for gaining a friend and trading partner.

2. casualplayer

casualplayer Warlord

If I do finish Patronage it's usually into the part of the game where I'm getting my GPs through Faith rather than points, but the Patronage finisher can really bust up your timing with some random GP if you beeline it.

A free 20-25 influence is still helpful because it puts you one quest away from a alliance. I'm fond of finding half of the Great Barrier Reef then running away until I pile up a bunch of CSs that want me to find a Natural Wonder.

I definitely don't miss the Consulates tactic being a no-brainer though but I do agree that Commerce is currently the superior "Until I Can Open Rationalism" SP tree.

I would be bored of this game in a blink if there was an undisputed one-way-to-win so that aspect of the patch was a welcome one. Now if they could just introduce a reasonable alternative to Rationalism....

3. Deau

Deau Emperor

I don't miss consulates being OP but I miss having enough culture on a normal game where I don't stretch all my gold to retain some culture CS allies.

Maybe it's me but with the number of buildings they added in BnW without increasing hammer yield until order, assuming you pick that ideology and assuming the game isn't already won by then, it felt like the culture yield from consulates allowed me to ignore amphitheaters/Opera Houses/museums/BCT throughout or at least until late industrial for CV. Their yield to cost ratio is awful and it's really impossible for the human player to fill all great works to turn them into pre BnW quality culture buildings.

So anyway long story short, unless I'm isolated with culture CSs where I get easy mode early game barb quests or get an absurd faith yield to get pagodas/mosques/monasteries for additional CPT, SP feels extremely boring for all but CV.

Either that or I have to give up expansion of a few city as all the gold I dump into culture CSs would have to be burnt on later cities infrastructure fot nat wonders/science/growth etc. It's been bringing me back towards 2-3 citiy trad instead of a push to 4 or 5 cities.

/rant

4. casualplayer

casualplayer Warlord

As it is right now, Amphitheaters are just terrible. I feel cheated even when I get a no-maintenance one from Legalism.