So... is having more than 1 religion in a city a GOOD thing?

Maybe I'm missing something here... why would you want to remove a religion from your city when it's giving you good benefits?

For instance, let's say CityA has Buddhism (a religion I founded), and another civ has spread Christianity to CityA also. If one of the follower beliefs is 'guruship' (which gives you free production per citizen) why would I want to remove it? Do multiple religion effects stack with each other or do cities ONLY follow the benefits from the more dominant religion?

While I'm on the subject, i really hate how you cant choose a state religion. It would've been great to have holy wars. Oh well.. next expansion pack I suppose...

Maybe I'm missing something here... why would you want to remove a religion from your city when it's giving you good benefits?

For instance, let's say CityA has Buddhism (a religion I founded), and another civ has spread Christianity to CityA also. If one of the follower beliefs is 'guruship' (which gives you free production per citizen) why would I want to remove it? Do multiple religion effects stack with each other or do cities ONLY follow the benefits from the more dominant religion?

While I'm on the subject, i really hate how you cant choose a state religion. It would've been great to have holy wars. Oh well.. next expansion pack I suppose...

Hmmm, I think the issue is one of *scarcity*. So, unlike Civ4, religion will have a number of followers in each city, so if a city is already maxed out with Christianity, then you can't get Buddhism into that city-which is important if you're the founder, as you might miss out on the Founder Belief for that city. Also, as you pointed out, if you have a founder or follower belief that is a per citizen thing, then you might want to clear out followers of other faiths in order to maximize your own belief benefits. Hope that makes sense. It might also be possible that using inquisitors might improve relations with AI civs (i.e., clear out followers of an enemy Civs religion to improve your standing with them-if not, then hopefully in a patch ;-) ).

I too am disappointed with the lack of the ability to "Choose a State Religion", but I'm hoping that this will be fixed via DLC or Patch, rather than via an entire expansion ;-)

Aussie.

O

I think that you should be able to choose a state religion if you take Piety or some authoritarian policy tree. Free religion is pretty cool.

Another question... Ceremonial Burial (a founders belief) gives you 1 happiness per city following the religion. Is this only in YOUR cities or ALL cities?

All cities.

In the couple games I have done I may take a city where the faith allows me to buy mosques/cathedrals/pagodas that my faith doesn't have. Then I may convert if afterwards to my religion and then proceed to buy my faith related building as well.

Had a couple of byzantine cities that I was able to get monasteries, pagodas, and mosques in them all.

Top Bottom