1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So, is that heavy this mode or my PC is slow?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by conmac7, Aug 18, 2014.

1. conmac7

conmac7 Chieftain

Hey everyone.
    I extracted the last version (35) and i put in in \BtS\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos
    PS. This is the first time i use a mod in fact i didnt know that the civ 4 has mods.

So, i opened from advanced menu. When the mod loaded (it takes about 2 minutes!!) i tried a gigantic map. Ofcourse game crashed (no error messages, it just exit to desktop) and then i tried Medium. Again the game just exit with no error screen or some message.
    Then i tried tiny and voila! The game loaded but when i pressed the science button (Top left) the game again exit with error message this time, something that i had no memory.
    Last i tried duel. And yes. It worked. I mean it loads, it runs, all the menus are ok and the first turn ended up just fine. I didnt went further.

Oh! And All this with 1024X768, all setting at low, no antialising (0X).
    The game itself -with no mod loaded- runs just fine in 1920X1024, with all setting high and antiallizing 16X

PC:
    AMD Phenom 9550 (Quad core 2.2GHz)
    4GB RAM
    PCIE Nvidia 650SE with 2GB RAM
    HDD 250GB with 20GB Free
    Windows 7 Ultimate

Any sugestions?

2. GT Ranma

GT Ranma Slowest of the Slow

The mod is 2.07 gigabytes. I don't think it loads the -entire- mod into ram, but it does up the ram requirements a wee bit I think.

With that being said, you do fulfill the min-requirements to run it. Though the only 4GB of ram is a little low. Let me see how much mine costs just to run it.

Edit: I am running :
    AMD FX - 8150 Eight Core 3.6 GHz
    16 GB of Ram
    760 Gforce Nvidea
    with a 550 mb/s SSD hard drive

And it still takes me 1-2 minutes to load it. Depending upon the cache. (I believe it will load faster the... 3rd time? The first is ok, the second is long, then the 3rd+ is fast again. I am not sure why...)

Yeah, only using 335m of ram so far.

I am 100% sure your computer is not fast enough for Gigantic, ever. Medium, ram wise should be fine, but quad 2.2 might be a little low, not sure.

Edit Edit: It tried to load a Gigantic map, and it has been sitting there for 5 minutes doing nothing, will try again...
    Edit Edit Edit: Nope, still cannot create a Gigantic Map, just sits at Initializing.

Should we assume you are running XP 32bit Windows?

3. Stormwind

Stormwind King

Depending on the mapscript gigantic maps can take 10 minutes or more to generate.
    @conmac7: Try loading C2C through a shortcut, loading up Civ4 first may lead to problems when having less RAM. Your PC in itself is not too slow, but don't expect short turn times from Medieval onwards. Closing all other programs beforehand may be needed too. If you run Win 7 Ultimate in 32bit you have to change userva to use more than 2gigs. Forum search should dig up threads on how to do that.

4. conmac7

conmac7 Chieftain

I tried from shortcut too. Again the same things :(
    Damn :(

5. Yudishtira

Yudishtira Spiritual/Creative

How much memory do you have free before you start BtS? 4gig is plenty, but how much does Win 7 Ultimate chew up and do you keep your browser running?

6. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Main thing is 2.2GHz and 2GB RAM as indicated above.

Have you done a file fragment lately? Also called: Defragment

Only do it just before you go to bed or have time though, it can take up to 8 hours, depending on your PC.

7. GT Ranma

GT Ranma Slowest of the Slow

Wow... Towards Modern Era, turns on 'Large' takes a minute or two, how long will the turns take on a gigantic map?

Also, Winblows7 32 or 64bit? If you are running 32bit, you only have 3.4gb of ram. Unless of course you have a program to unlock said ram, then you will also have to unlock the exe for Civ too. Wait, if you only have a total of 4gb of ram, you don't have to unlock Civ, der.

@Yudishtira: Well, I have Win7Ult64, and have Firefox open, and nothing else. I am using 2gb of ram to just idle.

8. conmac7

conmac7 Chieftain

About 800Mb Used. All other are free

I have nothing open when i play games. Nether antivirus

No need for this. I have ssd disk. SSds not need defragment in fact if u defrag ssd with time have problems.

9. Stormwind

Stormwind King

As said before, having 64 or 32bit Windows is an important info. What do you have?

10. conmac7

conmac7 Chieftain

Oh, sorry.
    64bit

11. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Maybe it's not liking the ssd? I dunno... everything suggest to me it should be working just fine.

12. Stormwind

Stormwind King

Please open up Windows Explorer und navigate to "C:\User\<username>\appdata\local\my games\beyond the sword\cache" and delete all files in there.
    If that does not help I'd like to see screenshots of your Game and Graphics setting tabs in Civ4 C2C and a DxDiag file would help too.

13. conmac7

conmac7 Chieftain

Ok. as soon as i do it ill post it.
    (About an hour or 2)

14. Crusader2010

Crusader2010 Chieftain

@conmac7:

i had the same issue when i first installed this mod for Civ4 (i.e. crash when clicking the research button, with "no memory" error message). But i also had every graphic option at maximum. Having a 4GB VRAM Gtx770 card, and 8GB RAM, this seemed strange, but i put AA at 2x, and changed postprocessing to medium instead of high (fullscreen resolution of 1440x900). The other options on the right were left "maximized". After playing a few turns and saving the game, i changed the options back to the highest - and it worked!

So i'm guessing it was a problem just at the first loading of the mod, but actually the graphic options should not really matter. Something else might be happening in your case, so try the following:

1. set up a fixed paging file size for the HDD where the game is running. You said you have 20GB free. Are these on a normal HDD or are you using a SSD for both Windows and everything else?

Try putting 8192 MB or 4096 as the value (right click my computer -> properties -> advanced system settings -> performance -> settings -> advanced -> change). Don't restart yet.

1'. press WinKey+R, type MSConfig, go to Startup and uncheck every unnecessary program you see there. Restart the computer.

2. get CPU-Z and GPU-Z, start them both before running Civ4, and make sure you enable logging.
    3. note the time interval between starting civ and getting the error/exiting the game (if you're able to play a bit).
    4. check the logs and see how much % your processor is getting used; same for the RAM, VRAM and such.
    *5. google a program that also monitors your physical memory usage in real time. You can use the task manager -> resource monitor thingy but it's a little cumbersome (to me at least).

If the processor stays at 100% (or very close to) for quite long then you might need an upgrade, but that doesn't mean the game has to crash. If the VRAM steadily rises to around 2GB then something is overloading it. Same if the RAM reaches your 4GB limit (but I THINK it should default to using physical memory when it gets full - and maybe that's the problem). See what happens to the physical memory too. I'm sure the answer will come to light.

PS: you can also try playing around with the game graphics settings on the right (e.g. disable particle effects, disable animations,etc).

15. conmac7

conmac7 Chieftain

Hey. I was sleeping yesterday Sorry.

Here are the screenshots.
    I tried t crash the game and show me the dx error but until now it just exits to desktop. if you want i can shoot a video and post it to youtube.

16. Stormwind

Stormwind King

I don't see anything wrong in the screenshots. The only thing that will cause problems is having animations frozen, please remove that tick otherwise some units won't display quite right.
    The only thing I know for certain is that DX error popups in civ4 are caused usually by a too high graphics settings or running video software/video portals (youtube) in your browser at the same time as C2C. In my experience Civ4 does not like having other graphics related stuff running at the same time.

Did you delete the cache? What happens if you start a Play Now game with Planet_Generator_68 (because I know this map works) and a standard map?

Edit: In DXDiag please use "save all information" add attach the file here. Is it correct that you do not have Service Pack 1 installed on your windows?