1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So is there going to be a sequel?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by JasTiger, Dec 2, 2018.

1. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

Not yet. We know they are working on a new game. We just don't know if it will be BE2. Could be fantasy themed...

2. Makenshi

Makenshi Ahoy, ye salty dogs!

This news about Civ 6 on consoles... to me it sounds like its develpment cicle is over and the Civ 6 team will/has start/ed working on whatever those dudes from CivBE have been working on for the last fews years after Rising Tide.

I hope it is BE2, so much potential...

DefiantMars and legalizefreedom like this.
  3. Darsnan

Darsnan King

Echoing what Lord Shadow said in the "Why Alpha Centauri is in a league of its own" thread its like visiting a grave here.

Anyways, looking at the Steam numbers BE pretty much flatlined after its first year of release (BE being represented by the blue line):
    BE comparison.png

Bottom line here (specifically the financial bottom line) BE never engaged the greater public and therefore probably didn't become profitable, and although I'd like to see something in this realm (i.e.a planetary 4X TBS) I'm not sure why they'd want to chunk more money into a sequel when the original didn't perform that well. Maybe they come up with a variant (i.e. a different formula to better engage the public/ get that "just one more turn" feeling really percolating), or maybe employing the 33% old / 33% changed / 33% new formula they revamp the leaders and the backstory to become more engaging to a broader spectrum of the public?

D

DefiantMars likes this.
  4. vorlon_mi

vorlon_mi Just One More Turn

Looking just at that set of charts, they would have an incentive to develop a "Civ 6 in space" game, more than a successor to BE(RT) based on the Civ 5 mechanics. I'm a latecomer to BERT, but I am having fun. I miss the depth of the strategy resources and community from Civ 3 and Civ4... feel like I need to keep a journal in-game, so that I can remember what I did and learn from it the next game.

5. Darsnan

Darsnan King

Since games in this niche (sci-fi planetary 4X TBS) are few and far between I purposely eschewed the community forums (strategy, general help, etc.) and manual so I could prolong interest/enjoyment in the game, something like what your doing (only I don't bother keeping a journal or log for any of the games I play).

The more I think about your comment, the more I like what you said! Here's my thought process based on your comment: if you recall when Gathering Storm was announced it specifically mentioned the Great Mistake, which is a direct tie-in to BE:

https://www.2k.com/en-US/blog/civil...w-expansion-release-date-pc-february-14-2019/

And then the victory condition for the recently released Red Death scenario has the same spaceship from BE departing Earth (or "Leaving the Party Early", as its said in Red Death):
    Red Death victory.png

So this could be a natural lead-in/ premise/ backstory for a "Civ 6 in Space" game (i.e. the Great Mistake--> Red Death and how the survivors departed Earth) using a different set/style of colonists departing Earth for parts unknown, which these factions would hopefully engage the public moreso than what was presented in BE. Might be pretty cool playing as Mutants or one of the other groups depicted in Red Death (or a different variant of these types of survivors).

D

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  6. Darsnan

Darsnan King

And just to add fuel to the fire for you conspiracy theorists out there I did a search for "Red Death" on 2K and look what popped up:

Red Death.png

legalizefreedom likes this.
  7. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

I wonder if those words are used in the games' description. Or maybe the search is strictly from key words, which would certainly be interesting if 2K had Red Death as a key word for these.