So, is this dead?

The Almighty dF

Pharaoh
Nobody seems to be doing any new modules for it, there hasn't been any updates... so what happend?
WoC seemed pretty promising.

I agree. I still play WOC as my primary modpack, but there is nothing new happening and now nobody even answers questions. I think the mod is dead and only hope it comes back alive in Civ 5!

The issue was (and is, if there's still work going on) that the scope of the mod was too big. They tried to do too much with too little support and went completely overboard with what they thought modular loading could do. Making things like techs modular was never going to work - techs need to be carefully planned and having people be able to change them on the fly doesn't make for good gameplay.

However, the good things about this have been retained in other mods, such as Rise of Mankind (a complete modpack) and RevDCM (which gives you much more freedom). All of your favourite modules should work in either, so if WoC is still causing you issues, I'd recommend a switch. RevDCM is almost completely stable, and jdog and glider do their best to keep it so.

However, the good things about this have been retained in other mods, such as Rise of Mankind (a complete modpack) and RevDCM (which gives you much more freedom). All of your favourite modules should work in either, so if WoC is still causing you issues, I'd recommend a switch. RevDCM is almost completely stable, and jdog and glider do their best to keep it so.
Actually WoC modules probably won't work in Rise of Mankind directly just because my modpack has completely redesigned techtree and everything... however the good news is that there's hundreds of modules (WoC style) made for Rise of Mankind already and more is made on daily basis and even some WoC modules have been converted to my mod's settings so in essense WoC lives :)

Actually it is simple, we lost mrgenie who did almost all of the coding....

Bits and pieces were picked up with other people but nobody was able to dedicate the time like mrgenie.

Now with Civ 5 coming out, I don't think it wise to continue WoC Core development. We will just have to see what Firaxis does with modding....the WoC Team worked with Firaxis, mostly in private, so they are well aware of what we have done and the limitations they need to fix.

Top Bottom