1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So Islam is a religion of peace?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mouthwash, May 24, 2012.

1. salty mud

salty mud Deity

Notice how no one has replied to you lately? It's because you post silly things like this.

"Propaganda," that's a good one. Is that what you call facts and evidence now? Propaganda?

2. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

So what?? What I said last post was, no other group has reacted to AMERICAN violence as radically as Muslims. And, truth be told, even on a worldwide scale, radical violence and terrorism are the exception and not the rule. Many nations have brutalized various groups over the course of history; contrary to joakim's claim, most groups who are subjected to brutal military violence do not react with the radical zeal we see in Islam.

Because it's off-topic.

Large numbers compared to what?? The prevailing cultural attitude of Japanese towards the occupation was mostly a matter of "shikata ga nai". "It cannot be helped". The resistance, if any, was much smaller than what you see Muslims throwing at the United States, despite the fact that Japan got it worse than Islam ever did.

Of course. Is it aimed at the United States? No.

Smokers generally have a shorter lifespan. Violence against black people is committed by other black people. Asians generally score higher on standard scholastic tests than whites. Religious Americans generally vote Republican more often than atheist Americans.

Generalizing Islam as more violent than most other groups on present-day Earth is entirely legitimate.

3. salty mud

salty mud Deity

Why should I believe you can if you won't prove it? Christ almighty, it isn't hard.

I doubt Osama bin Laden or Hitler thought of themselves as evil. Am I denied the right to think of something as evil? If no one raises their voice and shouts, "hang on, that's not very good is it?" we'd have anarchy. A person can have a belief, but it should be judged by others.

4. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

Well I don't know much about the IRA. I do think though a catholic/protestant divide is probably the most important part of this conflict. I even heard that if you spoke the wrong "accent" in the wrong part of Belfast you would get beaten or worse. I don't think whether being a practicing catholic or protestant really mattered or whatever degree you associated with one side, it was just whether you personally identified as one side over another which was relevent.

Still as you noted, the religoous aspect is not the main cause of this crisis. So its not a good comparison with Islamist extremists.

5. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Look, I asked a question to the moderators. I'm not asking you to believe anything. I was not addressing you. I don't give a rats arse whether you believe me or not.
    You might have misunderstood me, but I wanted to know whether belief is left to the individual, except when determining whether it's evil. And if in that case it's up to you.

My point is, if belief is up to the individual, and differs per individual, how can you judge that belief in light of a select group of individuals while ignoring another vast group of them. It's the same procedure that makes me not judge Christianity by the West Boro Church's standards.

I'll not take extremist's words over my neighbour's word about what is and is not Islam. I'll dispute any sweeping generalisation with regard to Islam, including that it's a religion of peace. You were right. It's an individual thing.

6. del62

del62 Deity

I am interested in views of ex-muslims like Ayaan Hirsi Ali on Islam. She gives good insites but takes a lot of flack from so called liberals for what she says.

7. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Do I get to judge yours?

8. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Moderator Action: I've deleted links in several posts that serve only to inflame the discussion without adding any value to it. It is very easy to cherry pick quotes from holy books and real events from history and make either Islam or Christianity look like a terrible religion. Please do not use such hate oriented links to support your positions in this discussion. Thanks.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

9. salty mud

salty mud Deity

Sure, I'm not stopping you.

"don't use evidence to support your argument" is what you are roughly saying. Ok.

Moderator Action: PDMA won't be tolerated here
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

10. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

No. He saying to not link to hate speech.

Bigotry is of spite and spite often destroys the argument of the spiteful.

11. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

If you had anything approaching a coherent ontology I wouldn't have to.

What makes Ameri- sorry, AMERICAN violence different than British violence?

I don't see any "radical zeal in Islam". I see it in some Islamic extremists, but I don't see it in the majority of Muslims, let alone a grand, nebulous abstraction like "Islam". So I'm afraid that I don't really know what you're referring to.

Interesting answer. Did you mean it to sound like you were saying "sure I hate the Fenians, but right now I'm too busy to talk about it"?

12. salty mud

salty mud Deity

Don't you findthere's a whole lot more "extremists" in Islam than any other religion? And don't you find the extremists of Islam tend to be more violent than other religions' extremists?

13. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Even if we accept that as true, how does that make "Islam" violent?

14. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Never mind.

15. salty mud

salty mud Deity

America, as a nation, is fat. Africa, as a continent, is black. Islam, as a religion, is violent.

16. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

salty mud, as a poster, is a generalising bigot.

I am sorry but:

1) Have you read the BBC pages?

2) I can label the USA as violent for their wars and gun violence? That is your logic, yes?

3) Your taking observation from a vocal (violent) minority of Muslims.

17. salty mud

salty mud Deity

1.) Yes. What's your point? Have you read the links I posted?

2.) Why not? Many regard it as the most violent nation on Earth.

3.) Maybe so. But the teachings of the religion that is taught to every single Muslim alive are violent. The "minority" is certainly a greater minority that any other religion. Christianity has the greater number of followers. Surely if Islam doesn't preach violence, Christianity should have the greater number of "extremists" since we'll be going off numbers alone? And vocal is a bit of an understatement, don't you think?

You seem to be arguing the case that I am calling every individual Muslim violent; I am not, you've made that up yourself. I am calling the religion violent; the laws and rules they live by, the culture it promotes and the subsequent pain and anguish it causes.

Spoiler :
    inb4 Traitorfish its not a thing rubbish.

18. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

Islam isn't a thing.

19. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Looks mainly green, brown and yellow if you ask me.

20. salty mud

salty mud Deity

So this is what the discussion has resorted to; childish, "hurr look at me I can post something witty!" posts. Thanks for the confirmation.