1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So Islam is a religion of peace?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mouthwash, May 24, 2012.

1. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

It's one of the Forms. Derail over.

2. Global Skeptic

Global Skeptic King

Not wanting to derail the derail, but what is the Forms?

3. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

You're one of the worst offenders, champ.

4. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

I'll elaborate in a PM.

5. Global Skeptic

Global Skeptic King

Thanks. :)

6. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

The fact that it occurs in America. And also the fact that the IRA is not big on suicide bombers, is not calling for a holy war or jihad, and demonstrates nowhere near the level of insane zealotry that Islam does.

I do. You don't see it because you don't want to. Explanation forthcoming next paragraph.

No, I meant it to sound like "I'm not going to let you take the bullseye off Islam". When Islam's crimes against humanity are brought to light, there's always the same textbook response: the apologists for Islam don't want it to be discussed and try to change the topic. It's only politically-correct to hate on American and Western culture--so, ironically, the very same human rights advocates who should be taking Islam to task are instead bending over backwards to forgive it for its crimes, while flaming Western culture to a thermonuclear crisp for far lesser offenses.

When people bring up Christianity or the IRA or whatever, they're trying to change the topic. Not gonna happen. If you want to argue about the IRA or Popery or Fenians or whatever it's supposed to be called, start another thread.

Same way drunk driving is dangerous even though most drunk driving incidents don't end with somebody getting hurt or killed. Get smashed and get behind the wheel, you've actually only got about a one-in-three-hundred chance of actually killing somebody. However, even though this number is low, it's far higher than your chance of killing somebody while driving sober.

The "level of violence" in a thing is entirely relative. The Earth today is relatively peaceful compared to Earth in the past--and the further back you go, the more violent our history generally is. Islam is not hugely violent, but the fact remains that Islam is a lot more violent than everybody else on this planet.

7. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

Islam is not a organisation. America is not the centre of the universe and once had many supporters of the IRA within that only ended after realising the taste of terrorism we Brits endured with the IRA and the Irish by the Organge militant movements via 9/11.

"I must be right! The only reason why you not agreeing with me is that your denying!"

Sorry mate but bad tactics are bad tactics.

For starters: Islam is a person now?:confused:

We who are attacking Islamphobia are not supporters of the violent fanatical organisations that claim to serve under the banner of Islam, just as those who attack those who discriminate against Christins are not supportive of the Crusades or the Lord's Resistance Army. Defending protestents from protestantphobia does not involve defending the KKK, nor does attacking catholicphobia involve defending the IRA. Fanatics kill; religion does not.

But we are not changing the topic but rather using comparisment. Shame they tend to go against your argument...

A good describtion of fanatics. Not reflective of religions.

Not only your bending back on your own argument (you said Islam kills, let now "Islam is not hugely violent" you say?) but your ignoring the true causes of conflict. I think we already examples in this thread before but since your going to say your won't read the thraed... I am just going to say this: I suggest you read the BBC's religion section on Islam. Before we continue I suggest you read it. It might take some time but it is some time for a worthy cause: the cause of knowledge.

8. salty mud

salty mud Deity

9. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

Did you not get done for brining up more hate speech?

10. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

What's the moral content of that distinction?

The PKK does, and they're secular nationalists like the IRA. To a certain extent, the use of suicide tends to map to desperation rather than ideological affiliation.

Do you believe that anti-American terrorism really is a holy war? If not, then it's just an ideological narrative, and doesn't appear to possess any obvious moral significance.

I've never met a Muslim who I would described as an "insane zealot", so I'd be way about attribution that to "Islam" rather than to, y'know, "insane zealots".

You see the owls hiding in your toilet? No? Of course not- you don't want to!

It's a valid analogy. Small part of group does violent thing; claims to represent entire group; is used by certain people as grounds to attack entire group. If you object to the analogy, then you actually have to provide some reason why it doesn't function, which you have not as yet done.

Also, please, please, please give it a rest with this "politically-correct to hate Western culture" crap. You sound like a Nazi, and, no, that's not a Godwin, so don't go screeching about it, that's just me being blunt.

11. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Also, "It's only politically correct to hate on American and Western culture" is something quite rude to say to actual human rights/culture-changer organizations such as Amnesty International who are pretty busy with enforcing human rights in undeveloped countries right now - contrary to their culture - it's infact quite ridiculous to claim that it's only fine to bash westerners. To claim that makes it seem like you never left a coffee house of uneducated hipsters.

12. del62

del62 Deity

Hmmm, nice little trick there, to paraphrase you

13. Traitorfish

Eh, call it a Godwin if you want, anyone with two brain cells to rub together can see what I mean. Whiteboy paranoia speaks for itself, doesn't need my commentary.

14. salty mud

salty mud Deity

:lol: As soon as I show what some passages in the Quran say it's, "Hate speech." Is this how the people of the world have become, so afraid to admit what is written in black and white in front of them? Sad state of affairs.

15. del62

del62 Deity

I think its fair to say that you can't be critical of the ideology of Islam without a fair amount of mud being slung at you from certain quarters.

Of course if you criticise Islam in a lot of muslim majority countries, then your fate can be worse than a bit of mud slung at you.

16. Traitorfish

Bugger Islam. It's as ridiculous and offensive strain of god-bothering nonsense as any other. What I object to is narrow-mindedness and xenophobia, and I'm not going to pretend they aren't what they put on a bad drag of theological critique. You want to talk about "political correctness", that would be a place to start!

17. del62

del62 Deity

The problem is if you try to shut down legitimate crticism you actually play into the hands of the xenophobes.

18. Traitorfish

The ontologically confused mumblings of embittered whiteboys is not "legitimate criticism".

19. Global Skeptic

Global Skeptic King

As a catholic priest once taught me: "How far in the name of tolerance do we tolerate the intolerant?"

20. J. pride

J. pride King

Maybe you should shuffle through the Old Testament or ask the the godless Sodomites or Philistinians how they feel? I really don't understand the double standards here. Some of you bigoted idiots can't seem to wrap your head around how human society or civilization works. Who could have imagined that Timbuktu, one of the richest cities in the world would someday turn into a backwater? Or that women in Algeria (a former French colony) had better rights to divorce and inheritance than French women for 800 years?

You would like to think that Islam is some kind of extraordinarily barbaric religion (meaning more so than Christianity or Judaism) but it is not. You can try to simplify an extremely complex situation for the pleasure of your simple mind but reality speaks otherwise. If you really are worried abound the effects of Islam than why don't you compare Indonesia to other Asean (south east Asian) countries, or Senegal with Ghana or Turkey to Bulgaria. It is very easy to pick the most volatile region in the world to the most stable and prosporeous and then blame Islam for everything that is wrong but if you compare two similar countries (interms of their history, economics and culture) of different religions, the difference becomes very minimal. 70 years from now if people would be looking at this, I am certain that they would laugh at your ignorance.

To sum it up name a genocide, misogynistic viewpoint or violence that the Quran advocates that the Bible already hasn't covered?