1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

So it begins - historic nk summit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Perfection, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

2. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey Lord of Misrule

I think they will succeed tremendously and have tremendous success.

Aleksey_aka_al and Kyriakos like this.
  3. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Tremendously Bigly Yuuuuge Success! With Tremendously Bigly Yuuuuge Hands of a Tremendously Bigly Yuugely Stable Genius!

4. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I mean, I'm glad he is no longer threatening fire and fury or throwing shade over twitter.
    Even if we make a stupid agreement with Best Korea, it isn't like they are going to be able to use a loophole to secretly develop a nuclear bomb. All we need is for this agreement is to make His Trumpiness feel like a Big Boy! and go away so Best and Not-So-Best Korea can carry on with quiet diplomacy to get things under control.

I seriously think the "fire and fury" stuff got them seriously spooked. Posturing and the odd artillery shelling on disputed islands is all fun and games when you know it won't escalate into war. Once it starts seriously looking like it might escalate, that scares people quickly.

5. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Question: when the participants in a conversation are Donald Trump and Kim Jung Un, and afterwards they have vastly different accounts about what was said, who do you think is more credible?

6. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Best Korea got busted twice with their own nuclear program, by most accounts they already have or are close to cracking nuclear tech so like Australia have the ability to build nuclear weapons in the very near future and at short notice.
    Stupid Korea isnt going to give up its Nukes just for some paper guarantees from the US. It wants US forces at the DMZ gone, It wants sanctions from the West lifted, it wants US Navy gone from its waters.
    I suspect US will get an embassy reopening and some vague peace agreement at best.

7. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

8. Gori the Grey

Rodman

9. Timsup2nothin

You left out US nuclear capable bombers removed from Guam. Someone on CNN was saying that's part of what DPRK means when they say "denuclearize the Korean peninsula" since they have range to reach Korea.

I have to ask though, what does "cracking nuclear tech" mean? The tech knowledge to build nuclear weapons isn't in need of 'cracking.' You can get it from any first year university physics student, or from the internet. I think it may have been on the back of a cereal box once or twice. Having the material and the equipment is challenging, not having the know how.

10. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Best Korea, obviously. Their anthem is strictly superior to our off-key British drinking song.

Just to add to this, building a uranium bomb is comparatively easy. We know South Africa was able to do it with a half-hearted nuclear program under international arms sanctions. It is going to be physically large and thus too big to give a useful bang on the end of a missile.
    That Best Korea was able to quickly proceed to apparently being able to detonate miniaturized plutonium warheads is the scary bit. Figuring out how to work with enriched plutonium and getting the explosive lensing right is very, very tricky.

11. Gori the Grey

Here's how I picture Trump talking about the meeting:

I had a very good meeting with Kim Jung Un. I have a very good relationship with him. He wants to give up his nuclear so that his country can be very prosperous, very wealthy. He told me he will be giving up his nuclear. He will be giving up his nuclear. It will happen over a period of time, you understand. But I have a very good relationship with Kim. He’s an honorable man. He wants his country to be very prosperous. He will be giving up his nuclear. We had a very good meeting.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    yung.carl.jung likes this.
  12. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I assumed it was just a less accurate way of referring to nuclear latency.

13. Berzerker

Berzerker Chieftain

If NK wants nukes, so what? We should sell some to SK and Japan, see if they like them apples

so we leave in exchange for a peace treaty... If NK will give up their nukes, eh, okay.

14. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Hint #1: Third world countries with Nukes tend to sell tech on the black market
    Hint #2: It cost money to maintain something that Third world countries are bad at
    Hint #3: NK lies a lot, and likes to assassinate people, kidnap people, state sanction drug trading, slave trading
    Hint #4: If you believe NK will give up its Nukes for a paper peace treaty I have a Wall that Mexico will pay for, Healthcare that will be so easy and tax cuts that will pay for itself to sell to you.

15. Berzerker

Berzerker Chieftain

they already have them...and I dont think they will give them up, I dont care if they do or dont

16. innonimatu

innonimatu Warlord

Between drones and special forces operations I bet they have a lot to learn on assassination from the US. And drug trading. As for slaves, do those banana plantation peasants in central and south america count?

Pot and kettle meet...

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  17. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

While the US can learn a lot from NK when it comes to stifling any form of dissent and running a full blown personality cult. Dorkus Rump and the Kimsbury Doughboy have so much in common!

18. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

He just said he would have Kim over to the white house. My jaw is on the floor.

"He's a very talented man and he loves his country very much."

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  19. Timsup2nothin

And there's a special spot in hell for the prime minister of Canada. The US has clearly switched sides.

20. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Comrade Kim wants to travel and see first hand more of his new found real estate?