1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So many leftist on these boards?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aapo, Jun 3, 2009.

1. aapo

aapo Chieftain

Hello, I see many guys have very leftist economical views on this board. Why is that?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see too many good things about the Left.

* Separating people by their income or class status. Reverse racism. Progressive taxation, yet regressive benefits.
    * State-intervention to natural businesses e.g. saving failing companies, "benevolent dictatorship"
    * View that those in charge of government know better than people in free market.
    * Individual's attributes seem like taboo subject.

For example, we consider that health care is such a human right that is should receive funding no matter what. First problem we have is estimation: how many patients need health care in our area? That is easy question to solve in free market -> more patients mean more personel, carrot here is reputation (based on results). If funding is received a priori it doesn't give incentive to better results. On the other hand if funding is based on political decision and not public's needs, staff on public clinics are often overworked.

2. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

You're new here, aren't you?
    A few pointers:
    1) Don't start threads like this, you'll get flamed. :(
    2) A lot of our posters are European -> Europeans are more liberal than Americans -> the boards have a liberal slant.
    3) There are many vocal conservatives on the boards, so don't worry about that.
    4) There are a few threads dedicated to different parts of this discussion, so just search them (though they tend to be on the front page anyways)
    5) Welcome to Off-Topic! :goodjob:

3. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Ever considered taking a census?

4. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Hello, likely double log in. Welcome to the boards. If you're wondering why this forum seems to have such a strong slant to the left, you might wish to take note of where many of the posters live.

5. Bei1052

Bei1052 Emperor

You know the problem with universal health care? It's that the rich will pay a disproportionate amount more in raised taxes compared to everyone else. In other words, the rich get too little health care for what they pay into it while the poor get too much health care for what they pay into it. This is why I more or less like I current system. Everyone should get the bare minimum health care and anything more than that should be payed for by the person who wants more than the bare minimum coverage.

6. emzie

You know what this board has never seen? A debate about universal healthcare! Let's get on that!

7. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

brb revolution

8. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

That's how a progressive tax system works. There's no problem with it. They derive more benefit from the state, anyway.

9. emzie

Shut up with your well-thought-out arguments. 'merica needs a flat tax.

10. JollyRoger

Someone argue the fairtax.

11. emzie

fairtax still gives a rebate to those do-nothin' types at the bottom. :mad:

12. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Because we're mostly European, Canadian, or like me, from the Heathen Democratic regions of the US.

13. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

Define "bare minimum coverage."

14. JollyRoger

Less than that poor person just got.

15. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

So the state has to make people sicker?

16. Bei1052

Bei1052 Emperor

Oh shush. I don't really look at off-topic. Sue me >_<

Yes, I know that's how a progressive tax system works. I'm not arguing against all such systems, since they're in large part unavoidable-- Health care, of course, is one of those instances in which it can be, and should be, avoided.

17. Defiant47

Defiant47 Peace Sentinel

This is done to ensure that the rich do not get richer and the poor do not get poorer without a chance to go to a higher class. The entire idea of such social reform is that a person born into a poor house is not confined to it no matter their talents and abilities. It's still prevalent today, so it needs to be improved more.

This was done to prevent the economy from collapsing. It is silly to allow the economy and the way of life crumble to the ground simple out of principle.

The government is tasked with only helping out the people. The free market desires only profit. I'd rather have someone who tasked to watch over me do so, rather than one who only cares to take as much money from me as possible.

I don't get this one, and I don't see how it is confined to the left.

The idea behind universal healthcare is that no-one has to suffer ill health because of their social and economic status. To be against universal healthcare means that you'd rather have 2-5% more income for yourself and have poor people suffer illnesses and death. Anti-universal healthcare is nothing but the most selfish of positions, perhaps even a definition of selfishness, as you'd rather have people die and suffer than give up an proportionally inconsequential amount of your wealth.

The fact that the system is overworked means that the healthcare needs of the people aren't being met. To presume that the people in a higher social and economic status deserve the healthcare more than the poor people is nothing short of elitism.

18. JollyRoger

The state makes me sicker every time they help a non-CEO out.

19. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Yay to strawmen and generalising.

Ignoratio elenchi is the sine qua non for right-wing talking points. And talking about a priori, isn't it funny that this same paragraph posits some opinions a priori as if they were a given. Methinks there's some petitio principii going on here.

20. aapo

aapo Chieftain

- I'm from Europe too. In particular I would like to separate economical left and social left. Economical left is what I'm criticizing.

- Yes, but how many of those people need health service? Government in Soviet Russia tried to estimate even things like how many nails the populace needed in the next four years. Poor estimations caused great distress for the people. Grain was left to rot in barns because people didn't need that much. Meat was under the table privilege reserved for the communist party members. Smaller interval gives more accurate information, but this also makes centralized economy difficult.

- How companies receive benefit from state besides laws that inhibit competition?