[NFP] So much land!

whyidie

Emperor
Is it me or has the spawn logic changed significantly ? Seems like more often than not there is a ton of land between me and AI. Quite a dramatic change from before (was it before Heroes and Legends ?) when I felt most maps gave me a neighbor or two to conquer.

Must say I'm struggling (but enjoying the change of play) to build an empire without having close by neighbors to war against.

I forget which patch it was but civs are now more likely to spawn in the middle of continent if they are the only ones who would spawn on that continent.

The annoying moments where two civs or city states spawn too close to each other are less and less frequent, and that's a good thing : early expansion should be enabled without invasion.

However, AI is a tad too cautious in my opinion : after having settled 4-5 cities and bumped into neighbours, it doesn't expand anymore...

I see quite the opposite, but then again, that's Deity with their 1-2-3 initial settlers (not really 3 settlers, but one free two times for any district built, a.k.a. city). They tend to fill each and any gap quickly due to that huge frontloaded advantage.

Which contributes to the overall pace of the game at higher diffs to be completely out of whack... so what I do is always use High Seas, and lately pack 10 civs and 10 CS in a Standard map. Much better pace, same or higher difficulty given the frontloaded AI advantage, more tension, a little more fun. A little.

Would be more than a little if the game had an AI, but oh well... too late for that.

The annoying moments where two civs or city states spawn too close to each other are less and less frequent, and that's a good thing : early expansion should be enabled without invasion.

However, AI is a tad too cautious in my opinion : after having settled 4-5 cities and bumped into neighbours, it doesn't expand anymore...

Yes, if no war in the early game we run into the problem of peaceful mid-late eras resulting in a very builder oriented phase of the Civ6 play cycle. If they can solve for mid-late game "sameness" that would be a great way to end...assuming AI fixes (I'm looking for more variety in AI play and effectiveness) are out of reach.

I see quite the opposite, but then again, that's Deity with their 1-2-3 initial settlers (not really 3 settlers, but one free two times for any district built, a.k.a. city). They tend to fill each and any gap quickly due to that huge frontloaded advantage.

Which contributes to the overall pace of the game at higher diffs to be completely out of whack... so what I do is always use High Seas, and lately pack 10 civs and 10 CS in a Standard map. Much better pace, same or higher difficulty given the frontloaded AI advantage, more tension, a little more fun. A little.

Would be more than a little if the game had an AI, but oh well... too late for that.

Haven't tried deity since I picked the game back up but spawning with 2 or 3 on my porch forcing me into early war was definitely my experience.

Last I played I had to cook the settings to get space, good to know I'm not going crazy and will likely need to adjust to create less space now if I'm not playing deity.

I've always felt like there was a bit too much space. I wish there was generally a little less room to settle. I've played around with adding an extra civ or two to games but typically that results in the AI being even more aggressive because the map generator doesn't always do the best job of spreading them out evenly - I'd get 6 civs on one continent and 2 on another.

I think that's mostly just my own personal preference though.

Top Bottom