[BTS] So much sugar ^_^ And the Re-Discussion on Numidians

I have only played 29,20% of this game. It could be very long.
Spoiler :

I saw the spoiler. Nice progress! But, @Gwaja - why would you start a discussion about numids and then basically give us a map where we can't use them???

That was a lighthearted jest, but I would love to demonstrate some things about the unit on a map good for them in the future (and if you have a map to post, I request BUFFY off or WB save next time...that would make life a lot easier with uncooperative versions of civ). I tried this map - https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/nc-clxxvi-hannibal.564863/ - and pretty much took over my starting continent with them, before realizing again the map was unsuited to a fast space win :(.

I saw the spoiler. Nice progress! But, @Gwaja - why would you start a discussion about numids and then basically give us a map where we can't use them???

That was a lighthearted jest, but I would love to demonstrate some things about the unit on a map good for them in the future (and if you have a map to post, I request BUFFY off or WB save next time...that would make life a lot easier with uncooperative versions of civ). I tried this map - https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/nc-clxxvi-hannibal.564863/ - and pretty much took over my starting continent with them, before realizing again the map was unsuited to a fast space win :(.

I apologize for that. I created this map intending to play strictly offline just for myself, but then saw all that sugar and thought it might be fun for someone to play. I didn't even play a single turn on the map, and I cannot even access the World Builder due to locked modified assets. I was hoping, with the map type and all, that we might get a good opportunity to see Numidians, but I guess not.

I want to like the Numidians. I try very hard to like them, in fact. Maybe the extra withdrawal chance, or even what AZ used to argue that AI just builds more metal units, etc... maybe they all come into play. I was looking to see if there were anyone who had a differing point of view than mine. It seems as though the forum is pretty much united on their opinion towards this unit.

Whoa... that map is old! ^_^ Another Hannibal map I could play for myself offline. Thanks for sharing.

I apologize for that. I created this map intending to play strictly offline just for myself, but then saw all that sugar and thought it might be fun for someone to play. I didn't even play a single turn on the map, and I cannot even access the World Builder due to locked modified assets. I was hoping, with the map type and all, that we might get a good opportunity to see Numidians, but I guess not.

I want to like the Numidians. I try very hard to like them, in fact. Maybe the extra withdrawal chance, or even what AZ used to argue that AI just builds more metal units, etc... maybe they all come into play. I was looking to see if there were anyone who had a differing point of view than mine. It seems as though the forum is pretty much united on their opinion towards this unit.

Whoa... that map is old! ^_^ Another Hannibal map I could play for myself offline. Thanks for sharing.

There are a few key points with numids that I think people are overlooking:

1. Withdraw chance + charismatic means that after a single withdraw, they get their second promo, and if they win once with stables + barracks, they get their third

2. Numid with shock + combat 1 beats spearman with combat 1 (with a difference of 0.1 strength, but still enough to cause you to win at 62% odds). This point is huge because it: protects you from spear counterattacks, lets you fight stacks directly on the open field without losing too many or even any at all, and lets you take cities by sacrificing an average of about 1 unit less per spear (which is massive in the early eras!).

3. Numids, especially with shock, totally roll over swords and axes. A shock numid negates walls + fortify bonus, and almost has winning odds against a fortified sword in a city with combat 1. If the city has no walls or the sword is not fortified, the numid WILL win against most swords and axes in cities, regardless of how holed up they are. And no sword or axe will dare attack out of the city based on how large the bonuses are.

4. Numids don't get much worse odds against units they're weaker against. Versus archers...you will often lose when you would normally lose with HAs. Versus chariots...you will often win when you normally win with HAs. The only major difference is fighting opposing HAs (and war chariots), which are super niche and stuff the AI doesn't even normally go for (or, for WCs, unique to a single civ). And of course you will die to elephants anyways with HAs, so why care about that?

5. As AZ said, the AIs will love to spam metal units the second they get metal. A bonus against the strongest and most common enemy units are well worth a lesser debuff against the weaker, rarer ones. Assuming they build them in about equal quantity, there may be about 3 melee units for every 1 archery one, as there are three types: swords, spears, and axes.

Applying the above, I managed to accomplish -

Spoiler :

upload_2022-7-5_2-21-36.jpeg

Taking out 2 civs with a HA replacement - almost unheard of on deity!

Attachments

• Hypatiabal AD-0580 t139 ASTRO.CivBeyondSwordSave
    220.8 KB · Views: 15
1. Withdraw chance + charismatic means that after a single withdraw, they get their second promo, and if they win once with stables + barracks, they get their third
That's a very good point. I can recall having success against Longbows in a follow-up war, due to crazy promoted Numidian Cavs.
It always bums me flat that Mongolia has AGG Keshiks... What in the world ?

BAH! Don't you give up now. ^_^
I'll come back to it, I just got a little distracted. I'm well on track to build my Academy before 1000 AD and I want to build more ships. Never give up, never surrender !
But now it's my time to go on a vacation.

Last edited:

Even though I have been undervaluing Numidians, this is THE one thing that I feel that places them above what some people call Numidians as "trash" units.

As for the rest of your points, well taken. ^_^ I am willing to give these guys some love. On water maps, Hannibal is still my favorite to play, nudging above even Ragnar an his Berserkers.

I'll come back to it, I just got a little distracted. I'm well on track to build my Academy before 1000 AD and I want to build more ships. Never give up, never surrender !
But now it's my time to go on a vacation.

Have fun in your vacation! ^_^ And keep that fighting spirit once you come back~ :p I love maps with lots of ships too.... especially during the Renaissance era.

I used to only watch absolute zero and believe anything he said while i was climbing up difficulties. And some of his points are true,

However, after learning how civ 4 combat works myself, I really began to question this judgement.

I used to only watch AZ as well when I was moving up past Noble only because he was the easiest to find and I didn't know anyone else existed. I did learn a few things from him but after time passed and I learned more about the game, I realized I disagreed with AZ on a few things. I then found Lain and really liked him. I do believe that Lain genuinely played the map on every single game. Each and every one of his videos were different and at the same time brilliant. I didn't see a common strategy that he followed. He looked at the situation and adapted his game to the map.

This led me to the below conclusion:

In the end I realized that playing the map is the best thing to do and that the really early game is the only "standard procedures" that can be replicated and applied universally. Everything else is subject to the map. Trying to replicate other players just doesn't work in my opinion and only leads to bad habits.

P.S. I enjoy your videos and live streams as well. Keep up the good work. @Henrik75

Last edited:
Top Bottom