1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So no new great people?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Redaxe, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

I would have thought we might see a new type of great person but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Possibly
    -Great Entertainer (more amenities?)
    -or even better a wildcard Great Person (basically a random selection of great people that do more varied things , i.e food bonuses (agriculturalist), social policy/government bonuses (philosopher) , civic planning (more housing) etc...

Maybe in an expansion, but considering how many great people were introduced in Civ V BNW, I thought we'd see something new

2. Captain_Barbarossa

Captain_Barbarossa Chieftain

Well, there may not be any new Great People, but considering how Great People as a whole have changed, both in the way they're earned and in the way they work, I'd say that it's not really necessary.

3. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

I think the new Great People system is good. I'm not sure we need one just for amenities.

It's also hard to settle on what a "Great Entertainer" even means. Surely Writers and Musicians are foremost in that category? Also since each GP is unique this time, maybe there is scope for some to provide amenities (we know that there's a Merchant/Engineer (I forget which) that generates the Toys luxury resource).

4. MarcosQuadros

MarcosQuadros Chieftain

It's a great merchant, and there's also another great merchant that provide two sources of jeans luxury resource

5. dturtle1

dturtle1 Prince

Great Entertainer = Athletes, Illusionists, Comedian's and Russel Crowes Character from Gladiator :)

George Abitbol and HF22 like this.
  6. Brackenspore

Brackenspore Prince

I want to see a Great Doctor: more amenities, food (?), some science.

7. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

I was thinking more along the lines of JarJar Binks & Ruby Rhod ;)

8. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

At first I thought you were meant Dr Who (maybe you can teleport back in time 50 turns).
    Actually that reminds me of Master of Magic (I'm sure you've all heard of it). If not think Civilization, Warhammer and Magic the Gathering in 1 game. There was a sorcery spell called Time Stop that would give you ownership of each turn until you run out of mana - if you had enough it was basically an I win button - more infuriating was when the hardest AI which cheat like crazy cast it and they can lock you of game by dozens of turns at once and win the game.

Anyway back on topic - perhaps more a WildCard Great Person
    It could have its own unique point generation system (maybe triggered from golden ages?)
    It would be a more mixed group of great people. As it would be difficult to come up with a lot of different great people that could boost amenities or agriculture etc... you'd have a variety of bonuses from this pool without having to scrape the barrel to come up with mundane bonuses.

-Some Entertainers for amenities
    -Some Agriculturalists
    -Some Philosophers for unique policy/government bonuses

9. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions.

10. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

That would be created as a Great Scientist. I don't really see any ideas for Great People on here that wouldn't already be included in one of the existing categories, to be honest. Why make it more complicated for the sake of being more complicated? The different GP already have a giant variety of "powers" in the new system..

11. dturtle1

dturtle1 Prince

What about Athletes, Illusionists, Comedians and Gladiators? I'll give you Comedians, maybe, but that is not taking into consideration of the delivery of the art. :cool: I am not saying we should actually have great Entertainers though Gladiators and athletes definitely fit with the Entertainment District theme. I mean the Entertainment district is literally Arena's Zoo's and Stadiums. AKA Gladiators, Illusionists and Athletes. It could work... The Great People effects would have to quite diverse though IMO, a mix of tourism Gold, culture and GP pr

12. masda_gib

masda_gib Warlord

With the system now where Great Persons can have any effect, I don't think it is neccesary to create new categories.
    If you have a guy that gives a food bonus it can either be a Great Engineer (invented a new irigation system) or Great Scientist (invented gene-manipulated super crop).
    For entertainers the category might be a bit more difficult... Great Artist for Illusionist and Comedians. Athletes are diffucult, yes.

EDIT: At least in Germany the army is a big supporter of pro-sports and some athletes for olympia and so on are soldiers. So theres always Great General for athletes. :p:p:rolleyes:

13. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Actually as far as entertainers go, I always thought the Artist/Musician/Writer thing felt a bit too forced (though varied "powers" was a good thing). In this case I think they'd actually benefit from merging them back under a generic "Great Artist" umbrella.

14. UnknownHuman

UnknownHuman Chieftain

I’d like to see Great Diplomats if they add a Diplomatic Victory.

15. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

Civ rev had Great Humanitarians, which aren't the worst idea.

16. Civciv5

Civciv5 Grand Emperor

How about a "Great Leader" great person? Like Nelson Mandela and Aung San Suu Kyi.