1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So Obama may not take troops out of Iraq

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zarn, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

Linky

He says that he remains opposed to the reasons for the police action, but now he is backtracking on leaving so soon. I understand that leaving is a bad idea, even if you are opposed, but one of his nomination gaining positions is his opposition to having any troops there.

I will not be able to discuss this with you guys, since I'm leaving for Long Island for a few days. I'll catch you guys later.

2. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

3. Trajan12

Trajan12 Chieftain

What was the timetable for withdrawal before?

4. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Actually, he has always called for responsible withdrawal. Don't see any change in his position here.

5. Zarn

I don't know the specifics, but apparently the 16 month thing was a fairly recent position. I do recall a shorter withdraw rate before. I just do not know what.

6. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

:lol: But, but....what about the CHANGE we can believe in? You mean Obama might just be like everybody else?

7. Zarn

He did say he was willing to build bases. He gave a condition for it; however, that is still a radically different stance.

Edit: Okay, I have to go guys.

8. Merkinball

Merkinball Chieftain

16 months has always been peddled as responsible. Let's be honest, this is the only place where his position was different than Clintons. Now he's got the nod, and he's shifting policy? What a joke.

9. JollyRoger

x-merked

It's not a radically different stance. It's the same stance he gave when Timmah asked him about it in one of the first debates.

10. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

If his position is a responsible and phased wirthdraw of Iraq, I'll applaud him on that. Just removing all troops from one day to another would be childish and would have catastrophic consequences.

11. Merkinball

Merkinball Chieftain

Stop lying:

Obama will immediately begin to remove our troops from Iraq. He will remove one to two combat brigades each month, and have all of our combat brigades out of Iraq within 16 months.

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/iraq/

No mention of responsibility there. Mostly just...he will do it no matter what.

12. woody60707

woody60707 Chieftain

@ JollyRoger

You know, I know, everyones knows Obama was the get out of Iraq ASAP guy. Not that it's a bad thing. I'm for getting out of Iraq now. But really dude, when it was Obama vs Clinton. Obama was the "get out of iraq as fast as possible guy". There is no getting around that.

13. Patroklos

Patroklos Chieftain

So his plan has always been exactly the same as Bush and the Republican Congress?

BUSH THIRD TERM!!!

14. Joker85

Joker85 Chieftain

It's JR what do you expect. Biggest dishonest Obama apologist on this site.

15. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    W..... T..... F.....?!!!?!??????!!?!!!

16. Norseone

Norseone Chieftain

yeah...all my friends who voted for Obama are having heart attacks.

17. Princeps

Princeps More bombs than God

It's suffiecently 'responsible'. Mainly as in "get out and let the Iraqis take care of themselves".

18. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Rofl....the miracles of Obama-aid. It even makes attorneys ignore the truth.

Hey..waitaminute....what am I saying? Since when did that require Obama-aid?

Heh.

19. zjl56

zjl56 Chieftain

I don't know if Obama will actually have the backbone to do this. The rest of the Democratic Party has had the ability to end the war, by cutting funding, but they have not done so out of simple reelection fears. Obama, not wanting to offend anyone..., would simply gloss over and ignore Iraq, and just slowly reduce troop levels.

20. JollyRoger

Merkinball fails to quote the remainder of the paragraph pn Obama's site. Kudos to him for actually going there though. Here is the rest:

Well lookie there - he has a provision for keeping troops in Iraq and carry on militarily in the region. It was apparent to anyone watching one of the early debates in September 2007 when Tim Russert asked about complete withdrawl by the end of the candidates first term that Obama was not a withdraw-completely-at-all-costs kind of guy. That he would listen to the militarty leaders on perhaps revising his timetable is something you guys should be applauding, but not necessarily acting shocked and awed about:

http://www.cfr.org/publication/14313/