1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So originally religion was planned for Civ5, but apparently they took it out.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by anandus, Sep 23, 2010.

1. anandus

anandus Errorist

An interesting article at Apolyton about the remnants of religions in Civ5 :)
    And no, it are not leftovers from Civ4's xml's or anything.

Have a look :)

Very interesting indeed!

It looks like they really were planning on including it, but probably couldn't make it budget- or time-wise (I don't believe the "it doesn't fit the diplomacy'-excuse).

Utterly interesting. Maybe they'll include it eventually in an expansion?

2. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

I called it months ago.

I'm betting it was a planned feature, but they decided not to implement and are saving it for the xpac.

I just want it back, I don't care how they manage to put it back in. Religious are cool in Civ, just for the immersion.

3. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

I bet they will offer it on a "DLC" and charge $10 for it. It's sad how Steam makes business.

4. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

And out of nowhere, this is how somehow Steam's fault...

What?

5. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

My guess is that they didn't find a way to implement it properly into Civ5, and shelfed it.

6. duxup

duxup Prince

Steam? You mean Valve? It is not Valve's call.

7. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Or they had it in their early builds, and decided it didn't really work with their new conception of diplomacy, so they extracted it.

They told us 6 months ago when the game was announced that religion was out. Hardly a lack of time.

8. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Shafer already told us they were trying to make religion work and scrapped it.

If it does show up in the future, it doesn't have to be due to some grand scheme. Let's see, you're trying to implement some features to your game and end up scrapping some of them... when it comes time for an expansion ~ where's the first place you're going to look for ideas? Oh, the ones that didn't work on the first try.

9. SirSaab

SirSaab Warlord

Sounds like expansion material if you ask me. If religion is handled as more than just an arbitrary vehicle for positive diplomacy modifiers and improved cash flow (as it was in cIV), then I'm open to it. As ciV stands now, I don't miss it. :dunno:

10. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

Ding ding ding. A winner is you.

Reasonable assumption? NAH IT'S STEAM, STEAM IS OUT TO GET YOU, STEAM DID THIS TO OUR FAVORITE SERIES AND NOT THE DEVELOPERS! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

11. anandus

anandus Errorist

Exactly. It happens often in computer games that planned features don't make the cut, because of time or money restrictions.

And once the game is out it's easier to implement the cut features for an expansion pack because there's more time (and money) to invest in it.

Oh, and if it does return: Yes, it will probably cost us money.

12. Venereus

Venereus This Is Streamlined!

Riiiight. Because companies don't ever plan what they will work on ahead of time...:rolleyes: They could've planned to put it into the game, and looking at the calendar (not the tech :p), they realized they didn't have enought time. Must not have been much of a let down though, with expansions and what not, like it's been said.

13. Shackel

Shackel Still a Settler D:

Don't worry, it'll be in the next expansion pack!

Preorder now, and you'll get Judaism!
    --
    It could have been scrapped at the last moment, but I find it more likely that it'll be in a DLC later due to budgets.

14. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Same shelf than barbs from ruins, it looks ( code is there but is never called ) ...

Good for modders :D

15. Iceciro

Iceciro Special Ability: Decimate

It looks more like leftover code from scrapped design elements than it does something waiting to be unlocked by DLC.

16. Gorey

Gorey Prince

More like "Shafer'd" it.

17. mystikmind2005

mystikmind2005 Prince

Religion in civ4 was a bit of a political hot potato, perhaps they don't want more of the same trouble with civ5?
    They could invent imaginary religions, but then that is not the civilization way!

ZimbuTheMonkey and a few others remind me of crazed knights of the round table charging around defending the honor of Steam and whack anybody that says the slightest negative thing! creepy!!

18. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

It's because those "slight negative things" are complete constructs and paranoid delusions.

The guy just said that Civilization V's lack of religion and future DLCs are because of Steam's (a program made by Valve) master plan. Valve offers a service, which is free integration called Steamworks. Developers can choose to take advantage of it.

Do you really think "Steam" (Valve) had anything to do with 2K's decision to adopt Steamworks?

Make sense, and I'll have no reason to "defend Steam's honor". If you don't like being forced to use a third party app when playing your game, that's cool I understand that. If you don't like digital distribution, I don't agree, but I understand that. If you don't like DRM and thus refuse to use Steam, I understand that.

When you say that Valve is actively ruining your favorite franchises and stealing your private data, that's when you start to lose me.

19. Cronos

Cronos Chieftain

Don't rage aimlessly. Try this, it will help you focus!

http://members.iinet.net.au/~jhenville/music/cpanneltest.html

20. Venereus

Venereus This Is Streamlined!