1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

So sad Lost Disc 1 any hope?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Lochleinn, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Lochleinn

Lochleinn Chieftain

I lost disc one of civ 4. Is there any hope for me short of buying a whole new copy of the game? Is there a customer service number to appeal to? Also, I'm 8000 miles from where I bought the game, so appealing to the store is not possible. Any ideas?

2. lkjggfs

lkjggfs Chieftain

Isn't there a patch that makes it so you don't need the disk?

3. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Chieftain

You can get Civ IV Complete from Amazon for thirty-five bucks new or fourteen used. Apply the 3.19 patch and you won't need a disk.

4. nbcman

nbcman Chieftain

Assuming the OP already has Vanilla Civ installed, he could patch it to the latest patch which removes the requirement to have the Civ disk in the drive to play (no DRM). But if the OP needs to install the game, he will have to have disk 1 to install it again.

5. Lochleinn

Lochleinn Chieftain

How do I email customer service? It's not installed. I have a new computer. Will it even work on this one? It's the Game of the Year version, and my new computer is a Vista machine.

6. Willem

Willem Chieftain

Why not just get Civ Complete? That also comes with Colonization so you'd basically be getting Civ 4 for the price of a new game.

7. Jerh9e1k5

Jerh9e1k5 Chieftain

I bought Civilization 4 Complete online through Ebay brand new for $17 Canadian. That was with shipping included! :D

It was sent out here from England... came from afar but it was still well priced!

Try checking out EBay before resorting to Amazon.

8. synergyUT

synergyUT Chieftain

Steam has Complete for $40. Not a huge deal, but you'll never need another disc.

They also have Civ4 single for $20.

9. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

Moderator Action: Piracy discussion posts deleted - don't repeat it, please
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

if the disc is lost you might not get a replacement via take 2 since they officially only replace damaged discs - but contact them anyways - maybe they can help out.

10. Lochleinn

Lochleinn Chieftain

Okay, so I broke down and bought civ 4 complete (whole game only one disc and more content... weird) and now I want to know if I can get the old music back, which I liked better, and if there is really a patch so I don't need to use the cd. the disc drive makes an awful sound and sometimes I want to be running a music cd while I'm playing. I tried a patch called 3.19, as suggested earlier in this thread, but I think it was a different 3.19, 'cause it did nothing for not needing the dvd. Also, whose voice it that reading that's not Leonard nimoy, and where's the neat-o introduction by nimoy?
    I miss my game...
    ):

11. ori

12. deanej

deanej Chieftain

You're probably running BtS now. You'll have to start vanilla manually if you want it. The new techs in BtS are narrated by Sid Meier and the introduction only appears if you don't skip any of the opening movies/ads.

Not sure where you bought complete from but it looks like you don't have the US version (which is the one that removes the disc check).

13. ori

If it is the EU version of Complete: the most recent patch for Colonization should remove the disc check, the most recent patch for BtS (3.19) does remove it for sure - for Civ4 and Warlords unfortunately the disc check remains.

14. sabo

sabo My Ancestors were Vikings

You know what's weird? On my Vista machine I never need the cd's to run any game, the only exception is Civ 4.

15. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Are your other games newer? Many game manufacturers are abandoning disc checks, mostly in favor of online activation and online checks (similar to Windows Genuine Advantage, but whenever you play the game).