1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So what am I doing wrong re: peace treaties?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Kyroshill, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

So I see a lot of folks talking about civs giving up cities and all their cash in exchange for peace.... yet in my experience no one will ever give me more than a straight up peace for peace...

The only exceptions are in early wars on paper.... if I agree to DoW a civ way across the world and then never engage the enemy, at some point they'll come to me and offer cash and luxuries to end the war....

But when I'm destroying all their units, capturing cities, etc... they'll give me the old "the end is near..." speech but then never offer anything in exchange....

So what am I doing wrong?

2. Solver

Solver Mohawk Games Designer

You kick their ass too hard, basically.

There will be a point in the war when they'll be happy to give you money, resources and perhaps cities if you're winning. But if the war goes on for even longer and you're still absolutely owning them, they won't give anything more than a white peace.

3. Smote

Smote Emperor

^^

They basically hate you so much they will never give you anything, ever. No matter what. This is actually more like a real player than any other peace option, actually.

I find it happens very often if I DoW the same AI twice.

4. oawiefga

oawiefga Warlord

Generally for the first war that you get in with each leader if you are giving more of a whipping than you are getting they will sue for peace and in most instances they will offer you all their money, income, and resources. In some cases they will give you most of their cities too.

However, once you are labeled a warmonger or you fight the same opponent for the second time they will not offer any more than a straight peace treaty regardless of their predicament.

5. Solver

Solver Mohawk Games Designer

Yeah, essentially at first they are in the "you can have anything, just leave me alone" mode. When they see you're a ruthless warmonger, they change to "okay, I'm going down, but I'll make it do what I can to make it hard for you".

6. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

That's kinda what I figured.... but it would be nice to get some tribute now and again :king:

7. vexing

vexing knows

it depends on how outmatched you have them. when you've destroyed all their units they'll sometimes offer everything they have for peace.

later in the game, if you're in position to win, they switch to a "destroy you at all costs" mode and won't give you a nickel.