So What Happens When Multiple Players Go For The Same Victory?

coolbrez

Chieftain
Okay, so I've been wondering about this for a while. It has come to my attention that each victory (excluding domination, obviously) requires a world wonder to be built. This means that once one is built another cannot be built (while it exists? Can it be destroyed and another one built?). So how does this all work, if two civilizations attempt to pursue the same victory? For example, if I'm trying for a Promised Land Victory, and someone else is doing the same but builds an Exodus Warp Gate first, what do I do then? Do I have to capture the gate/destroy their gate and build a new one? Or am I left to try to go for a Domination or Contact victory?

Also, on a totally unrelated note, does anyone know exactly how the Promised Land Victory will work? Is one settler equivalent to one population in the Earth Settlements, and they stack? Or does one settler create an Earth Settlement and they grow in population to meet the 20 settler requirement?

Alright, if someone else build the exodus gate, you have a few options: you could conquer the city in which it was built, or you could attempt a different victory (contact and domination are the most obvious choices)
As for the promised land, each settler can settle a sort of mini-city. These cities can grow in population like any other city, but their max population is six. So, it takes at least four of these cities to win

It's possible that the Planetary Wonders might be like Projects, able to be constructed multiple times, but I would guess not. In the latter case, if someone beats you to the Exodus gate, then you'll either need to stop him, or win some other way.

Also, on a totally unrelated note, does anyone know exactly how the Promised Land Victory will work? Is one settler equivalent to one population in the Earth Settlements, and they stack? Or does one settler create an Earth Settlement and they grow in population to meet the 20 settler requirement?

About this, it seems like a certain number of settlers will come out of the gate (probably not all at the same time, though), and you have to found cities with them, but you can "settle" extra settlers on the same spot; up to six, actually. You win when you've settled 20 settlers, which means at least 4 cities.

This is what I could glean from some interview, don't remember which. It might have changed since then.

I can't talk about what happens when more than one player tries to go for the same victory, that seems like a good question.

Okay, so I've been wondering about this for a while. It has come to my attention that each victory (excluding domination, obviously) requires a world wonder to be built. This means that once one is built another cannot be built (while it exists? Can it be destroyed and another one built?). So how does this all work, if two civilizations attempt to pursue the same victory? For example, if I'm trying for a Promised Land Victory, and someone else is doing the same but builds an Exodus Warp Gate first, what do I do then? Do I have to capture the gate/destroy their gate and build a new one? Or am I left to try to go for a Domination or Contact victory?

They stack, they don't grow

I thought not? I thought they act more like improvements?

I thought it was a one tile city (sort of like a refugee 'station'... it only claims the tile its on and you don't get any output.)

In affinity stream by Pete, the earthling settlements were built away from other cities. If there's no restriction, why would he just settle them next to the gate? So...

I would guess the same restrinctions apply to the earthling settlements as those for normal outposts. Afterall, where's the conflict otherwise? Finding a place to settle the remains of the Human race in an already claimed planet leads to interesting decisions. Adding them to the slums of your cities? Not so much.

It's possible that the Planetary Wonders might be like Projects, able to be constructed multiple times, but I would guess not. In the latter case, if someone beats you to the Exodus gate, then you'll either need to stop him, or win some other way.

Yeah, I guess you will get locked out from that particular VC.

Yeah, I guess you will get locked out from that particular VC.

Conquer that city to make the exodus gate / entrance gate your own?

Conquer that city to make the exodus gate / entrance gate your own?
Might be possible. We've never seen "wonder" improvements before, but it'd make sense if it worked that way.

Top Bottom