So what is the best UU in the game?

I am far, far from the best player here (In fact, I have only ever 'finished' one game in over 1500 hours); but IMHO the best UU in the game is the Eagle Warrior. No comparison. Ancient era unit with high strength and ability to create free workers? There is no competition.

Last edited:
I am far, far from the best player here (In fact, I have only ever 'finished' one game in over 1500 hours); but IMHO the best UU in the game is the Eagle Warrior. No comparison. Ancient era unit with high strength and ability to create free workers? There is no competition.

You're probably right. I avoid the Aztecs for this very reason - you know whether you're going to win in the first few dozen turns.

Eagle Warriors.

They're much more profitable than their cost, thus can snowball...

For ranking

1: Eagle Warrior (too strong, just wait and capture scouts)
2: Warcart
3: Legion (Can chop forests and fix improvements)
4: Nubian Archer
5: Jong (so early frigate)

Last edited:
The eagle warriors are very similar to the Jaguar warriors of the Aztecs in Civ V

Perfect for some early game warmongering...

:spear:

Redcoats are excellent, they belong to Vicky's ability so they have synergy with colonizing around the world, popping in new settlements in industrial era.
They have bonus outside England's continent, and can battle it out even with infantry.

War carts are super strong early units, another top uu.

Rome's legion dominates it's era as well.

Mamluke is probably the best UU. You can beeline the Minas Geraes and dominate the whole planet pretty easily though. I don't have the DLCs, but I imagine some of them could compete. The Nubian Pitati are definitely up there.

Excluding the DLCs which I don't have....

1.) War Cart. Strong, fast, cheap, cost no maintenance. Available at the start. No disadvantages. Upgrades to knight (!)
2.) Eagle Warrior. Strong, available at the start, can be useful throughout game, capture builder perfect synergy with rest of Aztec ability
3.) Legion. Extra strong swordsman, can be upgraded straight from warriors without worrying about iron.
4.) Mameluke. Guaranteed free upgrade from Heavy Chariot

You're probably right. I avoid the Aztecs for this very reason - you know whether you're going to win in the first few dozen turns.

The Aztec are rather overpowered in general. I always play on Epic or Marathon, usually using a mod to make research take longer or 8 Ages of Pace... and using longer than standard game times, and especially using such mods, the Aztec ability to use workers to finish districts is simply far too powerful. The worker charge cost should be increased...

You combine the UU with the UA and... well, that's why I always manually choose what civs I play against so they don't pop-up.

I think the Brazilian Minas Geraes is one heck of a UU. Replaces the Battleship, but comes a whole era earlier and is still only just a little worse than it's sucessor (the missile cruiser with 80 vs. 85 ranged strength). You can use this unit practically in 4 out of 8 eras of the game! of course, in late game there are more viable options to attack cities (bombers) but still...
Naval domination for half the game is ensured!

Excluding the DLCs which I don't have....

1.) War Cart. Strong, fast, cheap, cost no maintenance. Available at the start. No disadvantages. Upgrades to knight (!)
2.) Eagle Warrior. Strong, available at the start, can be useful throughout game, capture builder perfect synergy with rest of Aztec ability
3.) Legion. Extra strong swordsman, can be upgraded straight from warriors without worrying about iron.
4.) Mameluke. Guaranteed free upgrade from Heavy Chariot

The order might be debatable, but these are hands down the best UUs. If I were to add a fifth, I'd say Immortals.

I've always listed Aztecs as the Civilization with the most explosive potential in the game in all aspects; be it military, economic, religious, cultural, scientific or industrial endeavours.

You can see how Eagle Warriors equate to free districts both in the cities they can conquer and the free builders they provide.

No other UU provides infrastructure capability and at the most crucial part of the game at that.

Sumerian Donkey Carts come in second in terms of their overpowered capacity and complete lack of real counters.

Last edited:
Eagle Warriors are the bomb. 28 base strength, the ability to capture workers, and are buildable Agoge. If you can save enough long enough to turn em into Armies, you can even use them to capture weakened troops. If you don’t win by then anyways.

War Carts are next. 30 strength, and pretty effective against everything in Ancient (including Barbs). Only real downside is that do require quite a bit of production and are silly.

I like the Saka Horse Archers next. They synergize really well with the Horsemen spam that is Scythia, as they have the same movement. Being ranged also helps, even if only range 1. There really isn’t anything bad about these guys.

Haven’t gotten Legions to work for me. Anytime I play Rome, my immediate warring is already done and they are just too slow. They hit like trucks when they fight the barbs though, and the forts are nice I guess.

I’d probably put the German U-Boat next. Germany already has a reason to go for Electricity, with their Hansas and all, and Privateers upgrade directly in these monsters. You basically own the high seas with U-Boats.

I usually try to avoid wars after I wiped out one or two of my closest neighbors, so it's either the Eagle Warrior, War Cart or Nubian Archer for me.

Top Bottom