1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So what would the DX12 do for me?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by 3EchoSix, Nov 17, 2016.

1. 3EchoSix

3EchoSix Chieftain

I am currently running Windows 7 with a i7 and GTX 1070. What would DX12 do for me in terms of Civ? I get that it improves graphical performance, but will I even notice it with a GTX 1070? Already running on highest settings, but now I am curious to what DX12 would do for me, especially considering I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10.

Thanks for anyone who can provide some insight.

2. AmtrakQuebec

AmtrakQuebec King

You know that place by the other place...
    DX12 will do absolutely nothing for you in Windows 7... must use Windows 10 for any effect to take place.

3. tekjunkie28

tekjunkie28 Prince

You need to upgrade to windows 10 NO MATTER WHAT. Really, this is for your safety and windows 10 is way better then 7. Also you are limiting your hardware by running windows 7.

I can tell you that the directx 12 makes the game faster and smoother and I have a i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz and a overclocked GTX 1070. even though I just run at 60FPS the game feels more responsive and uses less CPU usage.

PS the graphics seem slighty 'better'? Something does seem different about the graphics almost like the color is deeper?

4. danhynes

danhynes Chieftain

I just ran some tests, put them in another thread. I got 0 performance increase on nvidia gtx980m :( I am running win 10

5. anandus

anandus Errorist

It looks the biggest change between DX12 and non-DX 12 is the possibility of multi-GPU setups.
    I don't think it'll make any/much difference in performance nor graphics.

6. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I played the DX12 version and didn't notice any difference. If anything it seemed slower. And then the game crashed due to a graphics driver error after about 30 minutes.

7. WileyWilson

WileyWilson Chieftain

As I mentioned in another thread, DX12 has stopped an annoying refresh rate flickering I used to see on the main menu and whenever leaders spoke to me. I've not noticed any difference in performance.

8. anandus

anandus Errorist

9. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I use Windows 10 with an (Asus) AMD Radeon graphics card. The Fall Patch installed on my computer last night before I went to bed. Is there anything I need to do on my end to utilized DirectX 12, or will it start working automatically?

10. Joch

Joch Warlord

Don't want to turn this into a Win7 vs Win10 discussion, since there are valid reasons to stick with Win7. I am still on Win 7.

Having said that, does DX12 improve anything graphically in-game over DX11?

11. ghost88

ghost88 Warlord

Update your AMD Driver they have a new one.

12. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

I can't bring myself to switch to Win 10 when Dx12 *might* be the only thing about it that's worth it and even that's debateable.

I run Civ 6 maxed on my win 7 machine with zero issues as it is.

For a game like Civ I'm less concerned with graphics anyways so the difference between "awesome" and "slightly more awesome" isn't something I'm going to sacrifice my (nonexistent) children to Microsoft to obtain.

CBE Player likes this.
  13. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Sounds easy enough! Thanks for the quick reply :)

14. anandus

anandus Errorist

No, DX12 is mostly about reduced overheads and improved performance.

15. CBE Player

CBE Player Warlord

The old adage of "If it ain't broke don't fix it" seams VERY relevant here... Just sayin'

16. Cymsdale

Cymsdale Prince

If you are using an Nvidia card, never bother with DX12. It makes performance go down more often than not.

Jabulani likes this.
  17. Hajee

Hajee Prince

I experienced it the other way around I saw a small increase of performance (shorter turn time). The biggest thing I saw from dx12 is better muti core usage. Under dx11 one core was over loaded all the time, while the other 3 weren't being used as much. Under dx12 the all cores are being used about 50% usage.

CBE Player likes this.
  18. 3EchoSix

3EchoSix Chieftain

Yeah I understand you must have Windows 10 to use DX12. That is what is holding me back, I don't want to upgrade. Too many driver issues still.

19. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

Yeah, this is basically my experience. I have a GTX 960m. Game performed well at max settings on DX11, only the leader screens would be slightly choppy. With DX12, the entire game becomes choppy. Not worth it. Sticking with DX11 for this one.

Jabulani likes this.
  20. Jabulani

Jabulani Warlord

DX12 basically slows the game down and add nothing. Nice marketing hype, even because dividing the load among the cores to have a slower and choppy game is useless and ridiculous.