1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

So, who are the new "runaways" in G&K?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Grapa, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Major_Heartfire

Major_Heartfire Chieftain

Ethiopia can get big and powerful really quickly sometimes, so maybe that has something to do with it. When they get so powerful early, the AI decides, "Screw it lets just conquer the world!" or something like that, maybe.

2. Himmurabi

Himmurabi Chieftain

Funny because Ethiopia is the runaway in nearly every game I've played.

3. GhostSalsa

GhostSalsa Emperor

For that matter, why does Gandhi so often go wide? And why does Gustavus warmonger? Korea, I usually see him improvise a lot. The science bonus he just uses as cover to focus on other stuff. When I check replay he's not an early leader in BPT. Hasn't changed in G&K.

Catherine's been much more solid in my games so far. She seems to pace herself, wait until mid-game to gobble up neighbors, the get huge, like Siam.

To those who comment that any civ is good with a good start, that's true but false. First of all, the warmonger personalities put their whole future on an ancient era dice-roll, so they are inconsistent. As a personality thing, the game favors the patient AIs. Then there is seeding. Catherine and Harold get relatively harsh seeding (sometimes I've looked at Harold's empire and said: 'I can't conquer that, there's no luxes). Harold is made for rewarding human decision-making, like Elizabeth, and so he is at a disadvantage compared to the Civs that get seeded in food village.

Use your replay>maps to see seeding. the AI is not always in a corner. Some are very pinched and they definitely fall hard.

The main difference that makes a runaway I think is that some UAs are about clawing out of a hole and some UAs are about staying ahead. The computer starts ahead when you play on higher difficulty, so Siam and Greece are blessed. Same for Persia. One thing that put a check on him is that gg can't be burned for Golden Ages anymore, which is nice. Otherwise fighting him was like throwing water at an oil fire: every attack got him closer to a gg that he could use to power up all his units with super strength and speed. Horrifying.

4. Ulthwithian

Ulthwithian King

I'm not sure why everyone sees Ethiopia as such an exclusively tall Civ. The Stele is better than the UA, and the Stele encourages wide play.

It might also be explained by the fact that Ethopia is a very religious Civ, and it's entirely likely that if he chooses a Founder belief that more benefits a wide Empire (Tithe being the big one), he goes wide.

As for Gustavus, the UA may be peaceful, but Gustavus actually is not. Gustavus, historically, was a brilliant military mind. Sweden is given two UUs, both of which are quite good. Finally, half of the UA (the donating GP to CSs) can work with warmongering by gifting GGs and GAs.

5. crawf0rd

crawf0rd The One and Only

In all my games, the Maya get crushed into a 2-city empire.

6. theguy8882

theguy8882 Warlord

I've seen austria and ethiopia get extremely powerful. I have seen the huns get strong, but only through conquest. for me the Dutch were either really strong or really weak.

The Maya i haven't seen do much, same with the byzantines and the carthainians.

The celts seem to get kicked around a lot in the games i have played, i've seen the swedes get big, land wise, but not score wise.

7. Bakspatel

Bakspatel Prince

I've only once seen a Hunnic empire with more then five cities, some games they didn't even get beyond two cities. They just seemed to quit expanding and investing, waiting for someone to put them out of their misery.
    Given the opportunity the Dutch and Austrians become quite large empires and the one that tops them is Ethiopia. I haven't had them that much yet, but they've always got at least 20 cities. They just start to expand like madness. Religion might explain that feat but I wonder then why the Maya's aren't acting similar; they usually keep their empire small.
    Dido keeps her empire small until a certain point and Theodora just seems to have a liking of both slow expansion in cities and religion. One time in a huge map, she didn't even pass beyond the three cities and found her religion after she passed the industrial era. We were neighbors, and because we got so well along I decided to have DP's with her. Was just worried that she'd be wiped out by another civ.

8. PreLynMax

PreLynMax Your Lord and Master

Fraxis, because they have your money.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzing!

9. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Emperor

Russia. Always!

She always expands in every possible direction, plays an intelligent diplomacy game, has enough resources for fielding a huge army and gets quite agressive when someone is in her way.

10. Qinshihuang

Qinshihuang Chieftain

Sweden expanded pretty well in a game I played. Their diplomacy was pretty wily too... friending you up for a long time and then sending in a spy. They were active in controlling city-states across the map.

Huns built a lot of cities where they could and were scheming diplomatically from the get go.

Carthage expand to around 5 cities and annexed Geneva. They got behind tech wise or didn't have the money to upgrade their ancient era fleet though.

Celts stayed small, annexed Jerusalem and fought everyone which culminated in a world war against them and me puppeting their two cities.

11. mabalogna

mabalogna Warlord

Ethiopia, Ethiopia and Etiopia.

For a civ thats 'supposed' to favour tall empires, this one habitually becomes a runaway in every game i've played.

12. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

In my experience, runaway or not is a matter of starting position - both resources and space available, and neighbors. But not always. Fur Example: In one of my latest games Egypt and Denmark both ran away from the gitgo, Siam, Maya and India expanded fast and then ran out of room (next to Denmark and the ocean), while Celts, Dutch, Sweden and China all stayed small and vanished fast (to Denmark and Egypt, who were already big before they started conquering). As the Songhai (playing as the 'Sikh Empire' under Lap Singh) I fought one war with Denmark (lovely 0ne-tile city bottleneck on an isthmus, he threw units against it like throwing butter on a griddle), then hit Egypt while they were finishing off Dutch Willie and crushed them. After that, was going to settle down for a Science or Cultural victory, but with 5 out of 9 AIs already gone, polished off my artillery pieces and gatling guns and went for Domination. Dane Harry obliged by using most of his army against my CS ally until I had taken three cities and a citadel from him, and ruined his last defensive position. After that, a couple of centuries of mop up, which I didn't bother to play.
    Point is, when I restarted the map and replayed, by the Middle Ages Maya had conquered India, Celts and Sweden were the Runaways, and Egypt stayed at three cities in an interminable war with Holland! My diplomacy was a little different, but basically with the same starting positions, civs acted very differently. Makes me reconsider replaying maps I like with the same civs - seems to result in very different game outcomes...

13. PostConsumerWat

PostConsumerWat Chieftain

in my latest immortal game, Darius has twice my score and Austria has 4x my score.

Austria is beast this game. I am playing Sweden and it's kind of an interesting dynamic. I will probably just restart though.

14. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

Germany! He always builds a ton of cities, techs like mad (it must be his religion) and then builds 10,000 units. He is always a threat.

15. Flaviusx

Flaviusx Chieftain

I'm finding the Romans are a lot more dangerous now than in vanilla. There is no good answer for legion and ballista spam...

16. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Hiawatha loves to expand, attack, and cuddle up to every CS in the game.

17. Mark the Bold

Mark the Bold Warlord

Iroquois. Always. Always +1 in science. Always +1 in population. Always a force to be reckoned with. Always.

Funny enough. Sweden does well too. I can't for the life of me see why, but they do.

18. Grapa

Grapa Warlord

I think maybe because Ethiopia always manages to get the first religion in all of my games. If you get the first religion, it spreads a lot easier, providing wealth + science.

19. floppymoose

floppymoose Warlord

In my current King game Austria is the runaway on one continent and I on the other. Austria has already bought 5 CS, 2 of which were on my continent. I had to attack her to prevent a takeover of all the CS on my continent, which is how I now know that taking a CS from her does not allow you to liberate it. Once Austria absorbs a CS, that CS is out of the game.

20. Yzman

Yzman Deity

Iroquois are the runaway in my current game by far.