So why do people use drugs?

Why do people use recreational drugs?

• Total voters
It was legal and pharmaceutical when the SMU kids introduced it at my Pac-10 school. ;)

Do current ecstasy users know who their chemist is? I would suggest that substitution today is probably a fairly high percentage of MDMA.

Hmm...where I am, pure MDMA is usually only referred to as MDMA Molly. X or Ecstasy is used when its cut with something.

I'm sure the problem is that many things advertised to be "ecstasy" now are not in fact pure MDMA, but instead contain other substances. Nonetheless, the other substances advertised as ecstasy are rarely dangerous. There's one exception: a substance called PMA caused several poisonings, a few of them fatal, in the early 2000s. But in many people's estimation, taking ecstasy is still a decent bet.

If there's anybody reading this who doesn't get why someone would take MDMA, it causes feelings of profound connection with everyone around you in addition to a stimulant effect and a heightening of tactile sensation. This makes it especially good for raves and the like. I've personally never really been a fan the few times I've had it, but some people swear by the stuff.

Oh by the way, I'd recommend erowid.org to anyone who's legitimately interested in why people might take drugs and what they do. Its slant is obviously pro-drug legalization, but it's got far and away the best information about drugs on the internet, including extensive experience reports about substances by people who have used any drug you can imagine.

It was legal and pharmaceutical when the SMU kids introduced it at my Pac-10 school. ;)

Do current ecstasy users know who their chemist is? I would suggest that substitution today is probably a fairly high percentage of MDMA.

According to the drug testing sites and centered on my area, about 1/3 of ecstasy is pure. Bringing it up to half is a good enough (caffeine mixes or other non-scary substances). A popular next portion is cut with extra amphetamine/meth. The remaining is utter wackness and shouldn't even be called ecstasy. Everyone trusts their dealers and believes they are taking "molly" though. If they're right, then while the majority of types of pills are questionable, the total volume of ecstasy is mostly pure.

People do drugs for a million different individual reasons.

By the way, with you guys talking about Ecstasy and Molly, y'all would probably be interested in this excellent documentary on MDMA's history, narrated by the late Peter Jennings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjvNCijeYlI

EDIT: how the hell do you embed youtube arggghhhh

[ youtube] the part after v= (XjvNCijeYlI) [ /youtube]

Hence

[ youtube]XjvNCijeYlI[/ youtube]

Link to video.

Thanks for the help!:)

Especially interesting is the segment from 7:42-9:44 with the lady who was raped and tortured, and found success in therapy sessions with MDMA that she couldn't find without. I've also been reading lately how doctors are using MDMA in therapy with Iraq/Afghan war veterans, often with great success.

But the DEA no likey teh extaseez.:nono:

Probably not.. the currently accepted "be safe" paradigm is "Always know your dealer!".. it should really be "Always know your chemist!"

I think its because life is depressing, but its easier to get wasted than to try and change things, life is often so unpleasant escapism is needed, can be films, books, computer games, sadly its also often drugs.

I think its because life is depressing, but its easier to get wasted than to try and change things, life is often so unpleasant escapism is needed, can be films, books, computer games, sadly its also often a bottle of beer, a glass of wine, or a cocktail after dinner.

No offense Clem, but would you agree with the same statement given the transposition above? I'm just curious.

No offense Clem, but would you agree with the same statement given the transposition above? I'm just curious.

you know thats a tough one, i honestly don't know, i still think that many people use drugs as a form of escape, but of course when you put it like that, it's obvious there's nothing wrong with enjoying a beer or a glass of wine, the danger is of course in going overboard, but knowing where to draw that line can be very difficult and is different for each person.

Top Bottom