So why does my game end so fast

robbyextreme

Prince
I can barely get my research done, I am like still having use for oil and then the game is like 2050....

what can I do to achieve my researching and all that stuff quick.

1) ensure all your tiles are roaded (brings in more money to use for reasearch)
2) build more cities (again, brings in more money)
3) monitor and use the science slider carefully
4) try to trade techs with the AI. (buy a tech, and then make your money back by selling that same tech to all other AI's.)

I'm sure someone more experienced than myself will provide more tips.

What clut said...

+ build science improvements in your non-corrupt cities (library, university, research lab).

If you are playing chieftain, you will often have trouble getting to the modern age in a decent time, because the AI won't be of much help to you.

Try playing a scientific civ, that will help to get a hang of it. And follow the advice given by clut.

another thing... Make sure you're not researching techs that are optional. (unless you want/need them)

If your not sure which are and whic are not optional... any tech with a little circle with a line through it on the top right corner is optional. you do not need to research it to progress to the next age... although some of them are usefull, so pick and chose which to research and which to ignore.

On last turn of research, you should be able to reduce the science, it'll give you more cash for the next turn

mastertyguy said:
On last turn of research, you should be able to reduce the science, it'll give you more cash for the next turn

Thasts like a rule of thumb, unless you have like high science slider right? cause you are using extra cash to make it faster. :confused:

try and take out a couple civs

More Territory
and
Money from cities captured

AnsarKing101 said:
Thasts like a rule of thumb, unless you have like high science slider right?
Not just a rule of thumb. Every time you finish researching any single tech, you just lose any excess gold invested in it. Always lower your science slider on the last turn before you learn a tech as much as you can and still get it in one turn, then raise it again to begin the next one. You'll save a LOT of gold over the course of a game.

just remember to raise the slider again afterwards, otherwise you'll be researching at a slow pace, which will only add to your original problem.

gmaharriet said:
Not just a rule of thumb. Every time you finish researching any single tech, you just lose any excess gold invested in it. Always lower your science slider on the last turn before you learn a tech as much as you can and still get it in one turn, then raise it again to begin the next one. You'll save a LOT of gold over the course of a game.

I actually start lowering my science slider when I have four or so turns left, and adjust it has needed.

Turner_727 said:
I actually start lowering my science slider when I have four or so turns left, and adjust it has needed.
Good idea, Turner. I guess that way you could save in increments smaller than 10%, huh?

You know, I don't know if I save more by doing it every time, or one big lump sum at the end....but it's nice to get a little extra cash each turn when I can.

Just for some perspective... there is no victory condition "get all technology." The technologies are there to help you get to the victory condition you are going for - so only go for techs that help you achieve your goals. Sometimes, players get so bogged down in getting techs and building wonders that they forget they are trying to win the game. Another thing is that the tech pace is dictated by the victory condition you are going for.

If you are making a race for space, obviously you need most of the techs, and so you are going to spend your energy trying to build your infrastructure. You trade techs to the other civs for gold, and you buy techs you don't have. This is all possible because you are peaceful.

If you are going for conquest, you enage every AI you meet in war and the world tech pace grinds to a halt as you all beat the ever loving you know what out of each other.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't worry about how fast the tech pace is, just worry about how far ahead or behind the AI you are and how the techs you are getting are helping you win!

Top Bottom