So yeah ... build warriors

TravisATWA

Chieftain
I usually play Emp level but I'm working on Immortal. The first thing i noticed is that if you don't spend your first 2 or 3 builds making warriors your closest neighbor seems to declare on you. My first game was the Germans doing it, then the next game was the Native Americans. Is this a common thing? Only since the patch? Was i just unlucky? I should say though, the Germans started speaking Greek a few turns later and i was able to hold off the native Americans just fine. The only real problem with these early wars was they boned me because i wasn't settling and teching and making money i was focused only on defending myself.

Hmm.. I've found that at least in my games, the AIs are generally peaceful unless you start settling too close to them. A few random declarations here and there, but nothing chronic.

I'm sorry. As Songhai, I'm spending every extra gold piece and production point to spew out scouts, bowmen, chariots, horsemen, etc. to go barb hunting.

Always #1 military. No declarations (and I'm on Immortal also, with a few mods to make it harder - sorta halfway between Immortal and Deity).

ps - you know, with my guys scattered to the winds chasing down remote barbarian encampments, an AI rush on me would work - but they're not situationally aware enough to realize that huge army of mine would take 10+ turns to re-concentrate. :)

I'm sorry. As Songhai, I'm spending every extra gold piece and production point to spew out scouts, bowmen, chariots, horsemen, etc. to go barb hunting.

Always #1 military. No declarations (and I'm on Immortal also, with a few mods to make it harder - sorta halfway between Immortal and Deity).

ps - you know, with my guys scattered to the winds chasing down remote barbarian encampments, an AI rush on me would work - but they're not situationally aware enough to realize that huge army of mine would take 10+ turns to re-concentrate. :)

To be fair, talking about what you do early game as the Songhai isn't necessarily relevant to other civs. Barb-hunting as the Songhai IS an economy investment because of the gold bonus.

To be fair, talking about what you do early game as the Songhai isn't necessarily relevant to other civs. Barb-hunting as the Songhai IS an economy investment because of the gold bonus.

That's what I'm saying, "sorry, no help". They're pretty unique (along with Aztecs maybe) in that army investment IS infrastructure investment.

I'm noticing post-patch that the surrounding civs don't all start off "friendly" though, and they're going to "guarded" quicker, so I wouldn't be surprised if they declared an early war on one of you wimpy white-men. :)

So i thought id try that chinese xbow rush from another thread. on turn 79 (the turn before my RAs pop my needed tech to upgrade my army and begin my offensive), The native Americans DOW me. Those bastards broke the RA and kept me 17 turns from having a force of doom and left me with 4 archers and a horseman. I was so mad i quit (the map kinda sucked anyways)
Also its worth noting in that game, that the 3 ai on my continent never went friendly they all coveted my lands from the get go. I also had only one city lol

I usually play Emp level but I'm working on Immortal. The first thing i noticed is that if you don't spend your first 2 or 3 builds making warriors your closest neighbor seems to declare on you. My first game was the Germans doing it, then the next game was the Native Americans. Is this a common thing? Only since the patch? Was i just unlucky? I should say though, the Germans started speaking Greek a few turns later and i was able to hold off the native Americans just fine. The only real problem with these early wars was they boned me because i wasn't settling and teching and making money i was focused only on defending myself.

This is a change from the last patch.

Top Bottom