1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

so you can't take a city with just archers?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Minmaster, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Minmaster

Minmaster Prince

i spent like 30 minutes trying to take a city with 3 archers but realized the last bit of the city defense wouldn't go down despite my bombarding....

so you need at least 1 melee unit to enter the city to finish the job? it would've been nice if archers can still do the final melee attack needed to take the city, even if it is super weak.

2. Viatrix

Viatrix Chieftain

I think it is nice how the game encourages more realistic ways of gameplay.

In this case, for instance, you should have melee units in your army as they were the main part back in the days. Archers were supposed just to give support fire.

3. Minmaster

Minmaster Prince

ok but i just wanted to be sure that archers can't take cities... can you confirm this?

4. Neuro

Neuro Warlord

Correct, ranged attacks cannot reduce a city below 1 hp. Since archers attack with ranged, they cannot take a city by themselves.

5. PrAyTeLLa

PrAyTeLLa Chieftain

Its in the manual.

6. Balkor

Balkor Chieftain

I find archers great for taking out barbarian camps though ^^ After you kill the occupying barbarians you just need to move onto the tile and you get 50 gold for free ^^

However... ive never really played a game with barbarians before in Civ 4, i just find them too annoying but do they advance in technology as other Civs do or will they always be using low level troops?

7. Dalnor

Dalnor Chieftain

I'm pretty sure I took a city with a archer, press the move button then select the city.

8. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

Your pretty sure? In other words your not sure at all.

Anyway, no you can't do that ^. I also like that strong cities don't take any damage from weak units, towards the end of my first game on the demo, i had my chariot archer desperately trying to damage Seoul to no affect, army = gone.

9. Junuxx

Junuxx Emperor

Manual says they can build the units of the most advanced civ.