1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Social Groups and inquiry into whether it could be possible for their return

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Ailedhoo, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

Greetings

Forgive me if this appears to come very, very late but I will like to ask about why social groups ended and whether it could be possible for them to return.

Now I wish to ask about the full nature of their leaving as it were.

Would their return be possible?

My intention is for the forum games in relation of alliances and organisations within for intention of more than 5 player interactions in it, allowance of multiple talking and to keep things in CFC + GM moderations.

Apologies if the inquiries on social groups have been answered before now.

2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

About the best I know of that's possible with XenForo is to use the Conversation feature that allows multiple participants. It's inadequate, but better than nothing.

Unless there is a way to create opt-in groups and that feature just hasn't been enabled... (not sure).

3. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

there are third party addons that are being sold to add social groups (such as this one). So it is possible although it adds a new layer of administration and could conceivably generate security vulnerabilities and incompatibilities with updates down the line so I do not know how much interest there is with site owners/admins to go that route - but maybe if there is real interest by forum members they could be convinced :dunno:.

4. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

Social groups have been quite useful to a great many members so I think it'd be worth to look into that.

5. Valka D'Ur

That looks perfect, and includes a feature vBulletin's groups didn't have - a group photo album with comments, and also an event calendar.

From my observations when they were first offered, some social groups were created for a lark, and quickly abandoned. But there were others that were used often and were quite active. Those include some related to NES/IOT; I was asked to help with adding a group picture (group avatar?) when the members were having a bit of difficulty.

One of the largest, most active groups was Ideas Are Like Stars (IALS). We've started an off-board forum because we missed our social group. There was also a Depression Support Group, started for the benefit of those CFC members who have identified as living with this illness, and wanted a safe place to offer support to each other. It was beneficial and free from trolling and micromoderating, and those of us who participated in both these groups have missed them. We wouldn't have had to go off-board if the social groups had been retained. Those old conversations are gone forever, and I still don't understand why Thunderfall didn't give us some warning that the migration was going to happen so we could have saved some of this content.

I had a social group called Dunefanatics (a place where Dune fans could discuss all things Dune). I guess I could try to re-create it in the A&E forum with the help of the people who participated, but again, it's aggravating that the old content is permanently lost.

The Off-Topic permanent opt-in group was an enormous help for those OT threads and events that would normally have required a separate opt-in (agreement to participate) for every single time. With that group, it wasn't necessary to go through the rigamarole of asking if Person A wanted to participate in avatar switches or other threads where specific people are involved in ways other than the normal kind of posting. Just take a look at who's in the opt-in group and what they're interested in, and go from there. We don't have that anymore, so it's back to piecemeal and being uncertain of who is interested in which activities or events.

So I would appreciate the admins installing this add-on. It would be very helpful to the people who relied on social groups before and miss them now.

Would it be possible to post an announcement in OT and Other Games (the areas I noticed where most of the social group users post) that this add-on exists, so others can offer their views?

Tolina, Ailedhoo and Robert Can't like this.
  6. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

There was also, for IOT, social groups for alliances and United Nations, plus a group I participated for LGBT users to talk about LGBT stuff. The fact that these groups got purged without me being able to archive any of the information on it, imo, still pisses me off near a year later.

Could have said something, maybe?

7. Takhisis

Takhisis Would-be overnight hero

We used to have a Gallery function but it was separate from the groups.

8. Valka D'Ur

It's my impression that the gallery is only for Civ-related things.

Back when TrekBBS was vBulletin, anyone could make photo albums and they didn't have to be Trek-related. I had lolcat albums (granted most were Trek-related).

I haven't made any Civ-related lolpics, and if I did, they would be about the original board game.