Social groups feature

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Regarding this social group feature, we are currently in experiment stage and don't really have much rules in place for it yet. We will need to setup some rules as we go, in order to make it a useful feature that contributes positively to the forum.

One thing is for sure though, since it's part of the forum, it's not going to have completely separate rules. Most things normally not allowed on the forum likely will not be allowed in those groups too.

The following groups probably will be deleted:

-- Off-Topic sucks and you should feel bad for posting in it.
-- Devoted Followers of Luckymoose
-- Azza's group for awesome people

I don't think we should allow personal worship groups, or groups that promote elitism. ;)

You guys are all welcome to post about how you think the social groups feature could be best used, and the rules you think we should have.

It's a major new feature, and we definitely want it to work out. :)

Last edited:
Azza's group is for people that are awesome. This is not elitism or personal worship, but rather a place for awesome people to gather and discuss things in an awesome manner, free from the unwanted interference of non-awesome people.

One thing is for sure though, since it's part of the forum, it's not going to have completely separate rules. Most things normally not allowed on the forum likely will not be allowed in those groups too.

You guys are all welcome to post about how you think the social groups feature could be best used, and the rules you think we should have.

It's a major new feature, and we definitely want it to work out. :)

Spam should be defined by the group. What's spam in public should be okay in private - pun threads (for example) might be spam, but people enjoy them and there's no reason to disallow them in private. Not to the point of allowing completely meaningless spam, but chitchat and "name your favorite" things fit the bill. Plus, the whole thing is private to begin with, so it's not like it's going to set a bad example.

Some level of user-specific threads, perhaps limited to members of the group, should be allowed. Nothing disparaging, but the whole thing is opt-in to begin with.

Abuse should not be allowed, but I think informality and goofiness (that's not allowed in public) should. I don't wanna see noncon's awesome photo essays shut down.

Since there is no post count, I can't see them getting much abuse,an to be honest, I can't see them getting any use (after initial bizz).. its just like a second forum imbedded into CFC.

Postcount spam isn't the only kind of spam.

I think it's more like a subforum.

The following groups probably will be deleted:

-- Off-Topic sucks and you should feel bad for posting in it.
Makes sense.

-- Devoted Followers of Luckymoose
-- Azza's group for awesome people

I don't think we should allow personal worship groups, or groups that promote elitism. ;)
Don't see any difference whatsoever between those two groups & the Fiftychat group.

And FWIW I don't think any of the three should be deleted but if you deleted 2 of 3 it would be biased.

No offence, but fiftychat isn't a personality cult like the other two, it's a legitimate chatroom.

Contrary to popular belief, fiftychat isn't a cult of fifty. It's just a chatroom (mafia notwithstanding). It makes as much sense as having a #civfanatics group, which isn't really objectionable.

I still don't see any difference between it & Azza's group. Azza's group isn't even about Azza, it's simply a group he created for awesome individuals just as Fiftychat is simply a group for chatty individuals apparently.

um, I don't see that as a significant difference anymore than one group for people who like blue & one for people who like orange. Luckymoose's group might be a bit overly silly (the "devoted followers" thing but Azza's & Fifty's are equal in my book.

Poland is Central Europe ftw!

I say we should have groups promoting sides to some of the bigger debates/convo's/arguements.

I promise to add more info. :)

It may actually depend on what type of group it was. I don't think an invite-only group for 'awesome people' would be acceptable: it makes it purely an elitest group.
By definition isn't any invite-only group elitist?

I don't anyone is going to cry if Azzaman doesn't deem them "awesome enough".

I still don't see any difference between it & Azza's group. Azza's group isn't even about Azza, it's simply a group he created for awesome individuals just as Fiftychat is simply a group for chatty individuals apparently.
Azza's group doesn't exist out of azza's group. Fiftychatters do exist as a coherent subcommunity of CFC.

Exactly, social groups of the sort Azza is making shouldn't begin by using CFC social groups feature.

Why not? Everything has to begin somewhere.

Top Bottom