Social Policy Costs Going Down?

I would like it if all the social policies might get reworked to where they combine trees but have them all open at the beginning of the game. They would have to get rid of some of the policies all together and combine some that overlap but maybe end up with fewer trees that go deeper. Combine tradition with freedom, liberty with order, honor and autocracy, have a faith one, a science one, a diplomatic one, trade. I along with others agree policies do not need to cheaper you just need to be able to choose from a bigger list. It gets kind of boring always starting off with either tradition, liberty, or honor. Reforming them and allowing choice from the start would lead to more strategy and decisions.

As far was we know, we're geting 9 policites trees as well as the 10th ideology tree meaning that we have
1. Tradition (Ancient)
2. Liberty (Ancient)
3. Honor (Ancient)
4. Piety (Classical)
5. Patronage (Medieval)
6. Commerce (Medieval)
7. Rationalism (Renaissance)
8. Aesthethics (Renaissance)*
9. Explortation (Medieval/Renaissance)*
10. Ideology (Industrial)**

* - Speculation
** - Said it starts with Industrial Era.

I think Aesthetics will unlock in the classical with piety,and Patronage/Commerce in the medieval, with Rationalisim, Exploration coming in the Rennaissance. Some of the greatest architecture achievements and sculpting arose in the classical era.

I think Aesthetics will unlock in the classical with piety,and Patronage/Commerce in the medieval, with Rationalisim, Exploration coming in the Rennaissance. Some of the greatest architecture achievements and sculpting arose in the classical era.

I also think that Aesthetics will unlock in Classical, but that Exploration will available at the start, and will include some of the benefits that are now available to everyone, like city state gold and natural wonder happiness. I can't see them putting in a Renaissance Exploration tree that would be useless when you play on Pangea and certain other map types.

You're nt obligated to take Exploration though, there are other choices. so it could still fit in the renaissance.

Exploration would also be tied to arqueology, so it could still be usefull on Pangea.

I think Exploration is trying to tap the spirit of 1492 and beyond, so I doubt it's a dawn of man situation. Could be wrong, of course, but I picture it doing things like increasing your trade ships, improving sea resources, modifying/granting great admirals, improving archaeology and finding great artifacts, etc.

...this one? Autocracy

You know, the one that gives you a 25% attack bonus when you complete it so you can ROFL stomp any Civ that's still in your way.

Some sources suggest that Autocracy/Freedom/Order are being removed and replaced with ideologies. Its not 100% clear though yet if this is indeed the case

Yup. I'm aware. I was answering Camikaze's assertion that a free Social Policy doesn't matter as much in the late game. I'm of the opinion it actually can matter more.

A free Rationalism tree ain't nothing to sneeze at, either.

My comment was directed at the supposed removal of Autocracy as a social policy.

I'm not saying that late game policies can't be important, just that early game policies are invariably more important. Sure, Autocracy in its current form makes it much easier to stomp on opponents, but how does one get into a position where that sort of domination is remotely possible? Through the help of other policies selected earlier in the game, whose benefits have compounded. In fact, I rarely need Autocracy to be dominant in late game warfare, because I've already put myself, through the use of social policies, in a position where it's entirely superfluous.

If you get to the late game and everything is even, then sure, Autocracy is going to tip the balance in your favour. But without those earlier social policies, you would not be in a position from which a tipping of the scales would be possible.

With culture buildings down to 1 culture each and great works slots replacing former artist slots, I think it is safe to assume the policy system is indeed getting changed.

Top Bottom