Social Policy/Culture Questions

rover6695

Prince
Normally when I play, I fill out tradition, get the one policy from patronage to allow resting point with cs at 20, then go to rationalism and ideologoy.

I like being the Dutch, and read you should fill out commerce.
In this case, does it still make sense to fill out tradition first, and, I really like rationalism as I go for science usually, so in order to get yet another policy tree, I take it I am going to really have to focus a lot on my culture, correct?

Short answer:
No, there's no reason as Dutch to be more interested in full Commerce than other civ. It does however have a slight Right side Commerce bias.

Yes, Rationalism is better as a full tree, and your first top sentence strategy works very well for every single Civ as long as your not seeking cultural victory.

Long answer dealing with Dutch:

Dutch UA is to retain half happiness if you sell your last copy of a luxury. This tends to be most advantageous early, with less benefit later on.

Indirectly, that's still the right half Commerce (ONLY) for Freedom induced Spaceship OR filler Patronage policies for getting allies weather or not going for diplomatic victory.

Dutch UI: Unless you get a flood plains start (very rare since you have a Grassland bias as the Dutch), there's not going to be tons of tiles for your Plodder for your capital. Marsh isn't in large enough quantity to seriously impact Commerce opener bonus to capital.

Dutch UU: Cannot be upgraded from a previous unit just like the base unit but instead must be built from scratch. The right half of Commerce (ONLY) would help cash building them.

Would exploration be viable for Dutch in terms of Sea Beggar warfare?

Actually, filling out commerce with the dutch completely can be extremely beneficial to a diplomatic victory. With the last policy in the tree, you'll always retain four happiness from a lux even when you sell your last copy.

Would exploration be viable for Dutch in terms of Sea Beggar warfare?

Not really needed, but the Exploration Opener would help with this. Top left also adds hammers to all coastal cities if you are hand building them. Top right will give you a happiness boost both immediately and in the cities you capture, but you may have to rebuild them.
The rest of Exploration is more general economic benefits. (Giving you more gold from external cargo ships, minor bonus to the city with East India, etc.)

That is true. At times policies can feel rather precious, and there are many other policies you might want to invest in as the Dutch. Opening up exploration has the movement and sight bonus, but you have to remember Rationalism as well.

Top Bottom