1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[vanilla] Social Policy: Liberty (vanilla)

Social Policy: Liberty

1. slobberinbear

slobberinbear Ursine Skald

slobberinbear submitted a new resource:

Social Policy: Liberty - Social Policy: Liberty

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2016
  2. Ellye

Ellye Warlord

I find it also worth mentioning that Representation works retroactively, contrary to what the policy text might seem to imply (i.e. it reduces the additional policy cost even for cities settled before you pick up the policy).

3. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

It's less 'retroactive' and more 'dynamically adjusted'.

You never get culture back, but the cost of every new policy will be reduced, including the current one.

4. KiffeLesBiffles

KiffeLesBiffles Do you like dogs?

5. mr_happyguy

mr_happyguy Chieftain

Thank God it's not exponential - forget about aquiring new policies with more than two cities :D

6. vexing

vexing knows

7. KiffeLesBiffles

KiffeLesBiffles Do you like dogs?

Really, you mean x->x² = x->exp(x) ? You are revolutioning all math!

More seriously, exponiantial would be "increase the next policy cost by 10% compare to the current post". For instance, if P is the number of the policy,
    Cost = Constant*(1+0,1)^P is exponential

contrary to that :
    Cost = (Constant1+constant2*P)^2.01 is polynomial (ok almost quadratic)

8. vexing

vexing knows

you're correct mathematically, but i was using the non math definition of exponential, ie "involving an exponent." i don't think anyone says "polynomially increasing."

9. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

No nitpicking please.

10. weregamer

weregamer Gandhi of the Mongols

Sadly, not a nitpick. The question of whether the increase was exponential (adding a city multiplies the previous total by 1.3, each policy costs 1.3 times the previous policy) vs linear (adding a city increases the amount by which the original total is multiplied by .3, each policy costs an additional .3 of the original policy cost) was a burning one in early strategy discussions, because it makes an enormous difference in what strategies work.

If policy costs were exponential, culture wins would be basically impossible with more than 2-3 cities. As they only increase linearly, the number of cities you want becomes part of a larger strategic calculation. I forget whether it was here or at Apolyton, but there was a lovely post analyzing the turns-to-next-policy affect of founding a new city based on all the variables - current number of policies, current number of cities, average culture per current city, culture output from the new city.

11. ggmoyang

ggmoyang King

Obviously he is saying policy cost is exponentially increasing with #of policy adopted.

And he is right about this also. 4-city policy cost 145% -> 130%, about 10%.
    If he thought it was exponential it would be 152.1% -> 133.1%, about 12.5%, or 1/8 - so he would rather wrote as 'about 10% at 3 cities'

So OP wrote nothing wrong. Plz read again carefully. (no sarcarsm)

Btw I think this is nitpicking - this is not a math class and people usually use term 'exponential' as 'skyrocketing' or similar terms.

12. elprofesor

elprofesor Pluri-editing poster

I don't think discussing whether *trying to correct someone using "exponentially" in an inappropiate way* is nitpicking will move this conversation anywhere, so let's just stop discussing it.
    As ggmoyang said, Slopperinbear refered to the cost of successive social policies, which do increase exponentially, so he used the term correctly in the mathematical sense.

13. vexing

vexing knows

the finisher should have [set_anchor=Finisher] instead of what it has.

14. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Thanks, fixed :).

15. skyclad

skyclad Prince

Sorry for perhaps a stupid question, but does conquered cities with courthouses get the decrease in policy cost from representation? Thanks for the clarification that it works retroactively.

16. mintcandy

mintcandy King

I understand that Gods and Kings placed a prerequisite Social Policy for Collective Rule...any chance that this article could be updated to reflect that change?

17. scheva007

scheva007 Prince

Question/dilemma. I always do the following: i go for citizenship and representation, to minimize the effects on policy costs when i found a new city. downside of this is that i achieve collective rule rather late, and so miss out 1-2 times on the 50% bonus when making settlers, and found cities not as early as i could have (missing out on hammers and gold)

so which is the best option of the two? go for citizenship-representation? and getting the free worker along with a golden age and reduced policy cost?
    or go for the republic-collective rule? being able to expand quickly but with increased policy costs?

thanks

18. vexing

vexing knows

representation only causes minimal differences in early policy costs so go for the settler first. also having more established cities prior to popping the golden age increases the benefit of that

19. Carl5872

Carl5872 Prince

Any ETA on when these War Academy articles will be updated for Gods and Kings?

20. ArchyDarky

ArchyDarky Warlord

I've overlooked this so long :(. I need to make it a habit to pick the free settler first.