Socially responsible 2kgames

Newsflash, there's ALWAYS going to be some group in the local area that could use charity work. There's ALWAYS going to be someone who needs help in the neighborhood. If you refuse to offer any assistance to anyone who doesn't live nearby until the locals are taken care of, you'll always be able to employ that excuse to avoid ever helping anyone.

Buying a war game is a lame and very lazy attempt at aiding people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_social_responsibility

Under Criticism:

"Some critics believe that CSR programs are undertaken by companies such as British American Tobacco (BAT),[19] the petroleum giant BP (well-known for its high-profile advertising campaigns on environmental aspects of its operations), and McDonald's (see below) to distract the public from ethical questions posed by their core operations."

Civilization, the game that asserts that there is a civilization called "Native Americans" with a city called "Poverty Point", with wonders of the world like "Copernicus Observatory" and Pyramids that unlock political thinking (and social policies that come from Monoliths) is perhaps the last game anyone sane enough would consider "educational", but Firaxis and 2k have been running (for a long time) the charade that the highly entertaining game is also educational.

The first assessment, that the game is highly entertaining is by all means true, the second... more or less debatable (although it may lead to gamers to eventually become interested for popular history, if they aren't already fans of it).

"At Firaxis our motto is that we do the research after we make the game."

-Sid Meir

http://www.strategy-gaming.com/interviews/sid_meiers_pirates/

Is Civilization doing this to give the appearance that they are an educational game?, yes, are they doing it because they are involved with education? sort of. Do they want to give the appearance that they are involved with education? by all means!

there are basiclly 2 issues here, one that this for PR, and they could have done it better, you don't have to go far far away to help the world, you can be good by helping around those who live close to where you work too, and the second one is that it is lazy for gamers to act all high and mighty for this. You didn't saved the world here, you bought a game that was 50 dollars and you chipped a bit for 2k's PR stunt.

I think the real question should be: does ANY aid ever help? This is a pretty contested topic.

That's a good one.

You people are getting mad that people might choose to give to those in their own community? The ones complaining here probably have given nothing to those other countries. US citizens give a huge amount of aid by their own choice all over the world. Instead of griping and whining, try giving more yourself to people in need.

I'd help those in my community in this manner before the others, because I prefer to donate to overseas operations and centers that I know are trustworthy and will spend the money well. It's smart to research who you give money to, and what will happen to it. Not tough to be even semi-informed in the information age.

Furthermore, picking an option probably doesn't mean 2K is required to give to that place.

You people are getting mad that people might choose to give to those in their own community? The ones complaining here probably have given nothing to those other countries. US citizens give a huge amount of aid by their own choice all over the world. Instead of griping and whining, try giving more yourself to people in need.

I'd help those in my community in this manner before the others, because I prefer to donate to overseas operations and centers that I know are trustworthy and will spend the money well. It's smart to research who you give money to, and what will happen to it. Not tough to be even semi-informed in the information age.

Furthermore, picking an option probably doesn't mean 2K is required to give to that place.

I entierly agree with this.

Anyway, as a UK player I wasn't given any donations options when downloading the game.

i dont think people have an issue with giving to your own community, if you give money/help/aid to your local community, good on you for making your own backyard a better place

2kgames is an international company that releases product to an international audience so i think any kind of donation to charity should be an international nature. There are many children in southeast aisa that have no, or very limited access to any kind of education, with the catholic church educating most of the children being educated

and surly a country like america doesnt need international aid to educate your children? i did think everyone in america had access to a school? (and also the money goes much further in a 3rd world country)

but the thing i am concerned with is that 2k games have advertised their game (1 of many things) as a socially responsible game and as to date have not said boo about this issue since release date

No, its a more complex issue, it's about a gaming company that ignores their own communities that they live in and decide to give a hand out to communities that are extremely far away, likely because it's better press.

And yes, I volunteer several times a week and I have a history of volunteering as well, I have helped my community as much as I can, but that's besides the issue. This was obviously a PR stunt (it certainly wasn't annonimous) and I feel that there are smarter ways to give back to the world. You don't have go all the way to Africa to help, or just give out a large amount of money to prove you are very good. You can provide a steady amount of little help back, Firaxis for example volunteers work hours back to maryland, something that we can all agree is less "adventurous" but that provides far more help in the long run.

Corporations (and remembering that a corporation is made for personal profits without personal responsability) often do this sort of thing when they've grown extremely wealthy. Mcdonalds, BP, Brittish American Tobacco, Wal Mart, etc. They all "self regulate" themselves in this sort of way. They run businesses with extremely unprofesional tactics to then wash away it all away by stating that they are "giving back to their community". It's akin to an extremely irresponsible father taking their kids to Disney once a year (we need you to be responsible all year long, not just try to make up for it once a year).

Firaxis and 2k just released an extremely buggy game for a price that was probably not the true price of the game. There was probably some shady business tactics in releasing this game (probably EA style tactics), to get it release by the Holiday seasons, to get more bang for the buck. So when then they prompt you to choose a generic charity to give back, I just really can't buy it, you guys are not good, you guys are evil, don't use charities to try to wash this away!.

That this is also for "education" doesn't really make it better, Civilization is a game that celebrates Military History to it's fullest, which makes it weird and unusual that they would be trying to give back in this way. To put it in another way, it's borderline psychotic: to rush an overpriced, buggy, war game made in one of the worst areas of the United States and to make it all up by giving back 250k to the needy.

It basiclly boils down to the interpretation that I give to this PR stunt, I felt that to give players just 4 options under the cryptic guise of "for education" is just half assed. I do not see my opinions reflected in any of those 4 choices (and it's kinda cruel to run a sort of contest about it too). I really really wish that 2k and Firaxis, if they decide to be socially conscious, please do so by making your day to day work as a corporation being responsible : pay decent salaries, give back to the places you guys work in, release games in a responsible manner and don't try to make it all up by just giving back peanuts to Africa.

2k and Firaxis don't have to travel too damn far away to find starving illiterate black people. Try Maryland, it's crammed with them, you guys work there!. Why does it make more sense to them to help black people far far away than to help black people here? (There are billionaires in South Africa and Pakistan as well, they are not entirely helpless, most of the countries have the same socio economical issue of inequaltiy in distribution of wealth).

Thank you OrsonM, you're giving me hope that humanity can't be easily fooled by corporate arsewipes like they think.

Also, let's not forget that to help in 3rd World countries is definitely cheaper than to help communities in America. Not to mention it looks pretty!

One final note: why not help those who are really in need in America? The answer: "We covet their lands". Socially approved genocide, and you wankers gloat because of buying books or supplying discarded office PC's from 1990 for some people.

This aid thing is very fitting to Civ5: shallow, underdeveloped, made at least effort possible while purposefully avoiding core issues.

This is why the money should go to Africa and not Baltimore :

WARNING! EXTREMELY SHOCKING VIDEO!
Moderator Action: ...and such videos are not appropriate for this site. *snip*

It is people being burned alive because they were thought to be witches. Im sure a bit of education would have helped these poor people, and I bet this kind of monstrosity doesnt happen in Baltimore even with the highest crimerate.

It is people being burned alive because they were thought to be witches. Im sure a bit of education would have helped these poor people, and I bet this kind of monstrosity doesnt happen in Baltimore even with the highest crimerate.

LOL at attempt to create consciousness. America is just as full of people who believe in stupid stuff, and yeah, some people kill for it.

Also, money won't fix what your video shows.

It really has nothing to do with choosing one over the other, I believe you when you say that it's likely worst in Kenya. It just goes into what being socially responsible for a corporation really means (and how much in contact they truly have with society).

I am really not interested in engaging in a discussion over semiotics or the power of images and the emotional response they produce (mainly because I've studied them up and down in college and it's a messy topic).

This aid thing is very fitting to Civ5: shallow, underdeveloped, made at least effort possible while purposefully avoiding core issues.

Wonder if it'll get fix in a future patch...

Top Bottom