[SoI] Samanid Religious Victory

Jusos2108

Deity

This SG uses the Sword of Islam modmod by embryodead, version 0.4.0

Settings:
Samanids on Sultan (Monarch) difficulty, spawn in 819 CE.

Goals:
1. Win by Sunni Unique Religious Victory (URV).
2. Complete 2/3 UHVs
3. Become Shahanshah, Sharif of Hejaz and the Commander of the Faithful
4. Settle all Sunni Relics in Mecca
5. Convert all surviving nations to Sunni
6. Control all Religious Shrines

Sunni URV:
1. Shahadah: Spread Sunni to 50%
2. Haji: Settle seven different Great People in Mecca.
3. Jihad: Become a Royal Saint

Other goals/restrictions are very welcome!

Samanids:
UU: Dihgan Archer
UB: Pottery Workshop (Racing Track)
UP: Power of Legitimacy: +2 stability per each city conquered
UHV:
1. Be the most culturally advanced civ in 1000AD
2. Never lose a city before 1070AD
3. Gain control of at least 8 provinces before 1140AD.

Players:
1. Jusos2108
2. blizzrd
3. rrosen
4. Power of Beer
5. Science Rules

10-12 moves each. Replays if majority votes yes.

lurker's comment: I will watch :D

What kind of turn-around time are you looking for? I'd have to take it home and bring it back every time I play.

Roster updated!

Any ideas for the goals/restrictions?

BTW, blizzrd I ruthessly exploited your op in our Byzantine Conquest, so thanks for that!:D

I have a suggestion about the additional challenge (the real Shahadah :mischief:): since Sunni Islam is the main protagonist in SoI let's ensure that all the surviving leaders profess Sunni Islam during the turn the current URV would kick-in. With the current 50% goal Sunni URV is the easiest among all the Religions (one gets 40% just thanks to the natural developments in the mod). Muslims always see Victory as a conversion of Dar al Harb (land of war) to Dar al Islam (land of peace). It only makes sense in a mod called the Sword of Islam...

I have a suggestion about the additional challenge (the real Shahadah :mischief:): since Sunni Islam is the main protagonist in SoI let's ensure that all the surviving leaders profess Sunni Islam during the turn the current URV would kick-in. With the current 50% goal Sunni URV is the easiest among all the Religions (one gets 40% just thanks to the natural developments in the mod). Muslims always see Victory as a conversion of Dar al Harb (land of war) to Dar al Islam (land of peace). It only makes sense in a mod called the Sword of Islam...

So we should convert all leaders to Sunni, that sounds rather difficult, but not impossible.
What do you all think?

About spreading Sunni, I think that the threshold could be increased to 60%?

BTW, here is a spelling tip for Shahanshah: it is just Shah-an-Shah = King of Kings. :D

So we should convert all leaders to Sunni, that sounds rather difficult, but not impossible.
What do you all think?

Some leaders won't convert -- Byzantium, KoJ, Portugal. Obviously Islam cannot win when Byzantium and Crusaders are around. In case of Portugal one should either try to win before they spawn and kick a new era, or ensure they exist in Europe only (no cities on the map, like we have it for conquest). Collapsing a civ helps with the real Shahadah goal. Plus you guys don't have to keep them Sunni all the time: it is enough to have all Sunni scoreboard at the moment you win by regular URV.

With the focus on Religion in mind you guys might want to relax historical and title requirements. With URVs I was always thinking: is it possible to achieve a team victory with AI's help, or human civ must do everything herself, as always? With no particular deadline it is even possible to collapse and still win...

Okey, I am still waiting for others to comment.

If anyone doesn't have any other ideas, I'll play the first set tomorrow evening.

So... maybe we should discuss some things before Jusos plays the first turns.

Where to send the second settler? I'd suggest not to found Bukhara, wait until we have dealt with the Khwarezmids. We won't have iron, but we don't need it for now. Rather found a city NE of Samarkand, which grabs wheat, 2xgems and stone. Spiral Minaret will be ours pretty surely this way giving us the much needed gold boost and Great Priest points.
What about the House of Wisdom? If we research Religious Philosophy right away we can grab it i think, but it will somewhat pollute our GP pool. Still, a powerful wonder.

What UHVs to go for? I'd suggest no city lost obviously, and the province goal.

I haven't played the Samanids enough times (can count on one hand in total) to have a strong opinion about strategy here. I'll be happy to go with the suggestions of others to start, might develop my own ideas as we go.

lurker's comment: Abbasids almost always get HoW first, Samanids would be hard pressed by barbarians from very early on.

So... maybe we should discuss some things before Jusos plays the first turns.

Where to send the second settler? I'd suggest not to found Bukhara, wait until we have dealt with the Khwarezmids. We won't have iron, but we don't need it for now. Rather found a city NE of Samarkand, which grabs wheat, 2xgems and stone. Spiral Minaret will be ours pretty surely this way giving us the much needed gold boost and Great Priest points.
What about the House of Wisdom? If we research Religious Philosophy right away we can grab it i think, but it will somewhat pollute our GP pool. Still, a powerful wonder.

What UHVs to go for? I'd suggest no city lost obviously, and the province goal.

I would say Gwadar. Sure, it is a long way, but the spot is superior compared to everything else. It has great production, surplus food for GPs, iron, fish, crabs, (dates) and it won't flip to anyone ever, plus barbs rarely touch it. Together with Kerman, it makes a strong presence in the barb free(er) zone. BTW, I'll found Mazar-e Sharif as capital, it is much better than Balkh.

I personally wouldn't go for HoW. I trust that Long Distance Trade will be our first tech?

I like the Idea to convert (or collapse) everyone.
What about "Control all religious shrines during the turn of URV"?

Why not, that shouldn't be too hard considering that we will most likely detour to Constantinople anyways, if we are forcing everyone to Sunni..
I have also added another requirement that we must gather all Islam Relics to Mecca.

Top Bottom