1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[SoI] Samanid Religious Victory

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Jusos2108, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Science Rules

Science Rules Chieftain

I usually build Kunduz with my initial settler, but perhaps that doesn't fit well with Mazar-e-Sharif (I usually keep my captial in Balkh).

2. Power_of_Beer

Power_of_Beer Chieftain

Yes HoW is probably too risky. But Spiral Minaret would be really useful, I guess. The city won't flip to the Khwarezmids (only Timur), produces quite well, and the gems are very useful for our early economy. Maybe found Gwadar with another settler a bit later? I guess your decision in the end :p

Agreed on both capital and tech choice.

3. rrosen

rrosen Chieftain

I agree with not lose a city/provinces as the two goals. I've only ever settled in Balkh, but you make a persuasive case.

4. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Chieftain

I have generated the save, and we immeatidely found one relic (+2 exp per unit built in city) in our province!:D I also revolted to Vassalage and OR.

I am still undecided on the second city, so others might give their five cents too. I would favor Gwadar simply because we don't have to defend it at all basicly. Also we'll flip Samarqand, which can make the settler for the Stone/Gem city.

5. rrosen

rrosen Chieftain

Agree with choosing Gwadar.

6. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

This is a very lucky save! Most Muslim relics found on the West side of the map :)

7. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Chieftain

Lurker's comment: this is going to be a loooonnnnng game.:D

8. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Chieftain

Most definetly.

BTW, here are some details of my Samanid domination game.

9. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Chieftain

Okey, since it seems that we are going to found Gwadar. That means that we need to tech shipbuilding and Astrolable asap to get it in our trading network via Abbasids. Astrolable is a good tech for us anyways, since we can trade it to the Abbasids for Botany, for example. However, I would still sacrifice couple workers to connect Gwadar via land. One from Gwadar and one from Mazar-e Sharif.

Merv will be our early economic center with the capital. Samarqand can build units (HAs) along with Mazar.

BTW, I checked the spot that Power of beer talked about and I got admit that I wouldn't found the city there, (because it will later overlap with Fargfana, which is total beast after we can chop and build windmills) unless we prioritize the stone and Spiral Minaret. This depends on the fact that whether we think that we beat Abbasids to the SM. I run another test game and they completed it in turn 82.

So please give your opinions before I continue to my set.

Spoiler :

10. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

1579 is such a long shot for right now :).. Does anybody know about what year karimi family starts to operate on the map?

11. Power_of_Beer

Power_of_Beer Chieftain

We can complete it in turn 58 (886 AD)! If you let Mazar grow to 4 (farm 2 flood plains) it can work the horse and plain hill mine. One worker is sent to quarry the stone in the meantime (or build one in Samarkand). No way the Abbasids will beat us that early.

Anyway, I'll bow the majority ;)

12. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Guys, don't you think that running test games, checking what will happen at the end of the turn, etc is a little bit ... cheating? :) How is it really different from hitting Ctrl-W :p? Most of the time SGs run very smooth, the team walks from the victory to victory. It's not what happening in the real life and during the regular private game, isn't it? How is it fair if you know what will happen in advance in your particular game (as opposed to the general knowledge, like Mongol spawn dates and places)...

13. Power_of_Beer

Power_of_Beer Chieftain

I don't think Jusos or me used our save.

14. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Chieftain

The test game was with Byzantine...

15. rrosen

rrosen Chieftain

Yep, we'll have to weight the risk to try to go for spiral minaret compared to when the average build time of spiral minaret is (sample size n=1 :)). I feel ambivalent on this issue. If I were to play myself, I would probably not try to go for it, but that's not a very strong opinion.

Did we come to a decision regarding the Portugese, were we allowed to win even when they exist, provided we conquer all their cities? Otherwise, expansion will have to be very quick

16. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

I just played a game as Sultanate of Rum and built the Spiral Minaret in Tarsos, after capturing the city on my 2nd turn and making it my capital.

17. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Chieftain

Okey, I played twelve uneventful turns (turns 24-36), so I am not going to post a detailed report. Basically all cities started with workers and I decided to for the stone city, just not in the spot Power of Beer suggested. I settled the relic in Samarqand, which is building a barracks now.

Oh, this was the highlight of my set: :D

Spoiler :
    Excellent event for us!

18. rrosen

rrosen Chieftain

Excellent! Should we go for spiral minaret then?

19. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Chieftain

Yeah, we can settle Gwadar soon anyways.

20. Power_of_Beer

Power_of_Beer Chieftain

That relic is so nice :). Lvl 2 HAs will serve us well....

So, playing order is like the list in the OP?