1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[SoI] Samanid Religious Victory

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Jusos2108, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Chieftain

Yes and yes, blizzrd is up!

1. Jusos2108 >> Just played
    2. blizzrd >> UP
    3. rrosen >> On deck
    4. Power of Beer
    5. Science Rules

2. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

Downloading now.

So what are the short term goals that I should be focusing on please?

3. Power_of_Beer

Power_of_Beer Chieftain

Send Skirmisher west, contact civs and pillage stuff?

4. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

Turn 0: 844AD
    Set espionage to Abbasids.

Turn 1: 846 AD
    Archer in Merv promotes by taking out a Barbarian Tahirid Javelinman. Request 1gpt from Abbasids to level our economy at 50% science with no treasury but stable. Worker @ Merv begins to improve Wheat. Merv starts on a Settler.

Turn 2: 848AD
    Mazar finishes Worker, starts Barracks. This is a placeholder before the Stone is connected. Worker @ Mazar begins to improve Horse. Worker @ Khavakend starts improving Stone. Micromanage Mazar to maximise food so that it can reach 4 pop soon.

Turn 3: 850AD
    Skirmisher captures a Rebel Worker SW of Mosul, then heads towards Edessa.
    Spoiler :
    Turn 4:852AD
    What have we here? Skirmisher spots 2x additional Rebel workers @ Mosul who are working on the Marble tile NW of the city. I send the Skirmisher further west this turn so that we can sneak attack these 2x workers via the road on our next turn. Silk connected @ Mazar.

Turn 5: 854AD
    Skirmisher captures 2x workers. These should do nicely for road construction across central Persia.
    Spoiler :
    Turn 6: 856AD
    Worker completed @ Khavakend, start on Sunni Missionary for the future city of Gwadar. Also Merv doesn't yet have Sunni Islam. Horse connected @ Mazar. Wheat improved @ Merv.

Turn 7: 858AD
    Skirmisher approaches Edessa. Stone improved @ Khavakend. Mazar switches mid-production from Barracks (can wait until later) to Spiral Minaret.

Turn 8: 860AD
    Samarkand finishes Barracks, starts Horse Archer. Skirmisher pillages 17g from Hamlet and 13g from Cottage @ Edessa. Raise science from 50% to 60% (-4gpt but we can afford to leak these funds for now).

Turn 9: 862AD
    Workers start to improve Plains Hill to the S of Mazar.

Turn 10: 864AD
    Skirmisher pillages 8g from Hamlet @ Antioch then captures a worker on the Barley.

Turn 11: 866AD
    Skirmisher pillages 1g from Cottage (more cash would have been nice!) @ Antioch. Mazar grows to 4 population and switches to maximum hammers. Wheat improved @ Khavakend.

Turn 12: 868AD
    Skirmisher pillages 10g from Cottage NE of Antioch. Workers start to improve Gems @ Khavakend. Barley improved @ Merv.

To do:
    Send settler south to coast and found Gwadar. Spread Sunni Islam here also, then spread Sunni into Merv too. Send Skirmisher deep into Byzantine territory to do some more pillaging. Trade surplus resources with Abbasids for cash. Build a spy at some stage soon.

5. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

I really like how methodical is blizzrd with his reports! :) Do you take notes after every turn? Alt+Tab all the time?

P.S. Good luck with keeping those Workers alive! Barbs spawn out of nowhere in the dangerous world of SoI...

6. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

Yes, I keep notes as I go. I played on an extra 10 turns or so after posting the save and all of the four stolen workers were able to make it back to our cultural borders intact.

7. rrosen

rrosen Chieftain

I will be able to play later this afternoon. Will focus on the goals blizzrd proposed.

8. rrosen

rrosen Chieftain

Turn 1 870 AD: Started connecting the wheat. One worker sent towards Samarkand.

Turn 2 872 AD: Sunni missionary finished in Khavakend. Another one started. One free win used by spearman against a barbarian swordsmen (so now they have 6 exp). Meet the Byzantines.

Turn 3 874: First of the Blzzrd workers arrive safely at Marv. Skirmishers pillage a cottage for 8 gold in Anatolia.

Turn 4 876 AD: Pillage gives 6 more gold in Anatolia.

Turn 5 878: Generally uneventful.

Turn 6 880: Settler finished in Marv. Spy started (11 turns).

Turn 7 882: Another of our free barbarian wins are used up by the skrimishers in Anatolia against rebel peasants. Horse archer finished in Samarkand, another one started. Workers arrive from the west, starts building roads towards Gwadar.

Turn 8 884: Sunni missionary finished in Khavakend. Started a third, since they are good to have, and I want it to grow before starting settlers (still only three pop in it). Missionary sent towards Marv.

Turn 9 886: Abbasids cancel their 1 gold per turn tribute. War with Byzantines (for pillage).

Turn 10 888: Silk connected at Samarkand, so one surplus silk sold to Abbasids for dates. Skirmishers pillage for a total of 47 gold from the Byzantines.
    Spoiler :

Turn 10 890: 5 gold pillaged from the Byzantine iron mine.

Turn 11 892: Horse archer kill an archer in herat (67% chance, 6% retreat). The upgraded spearman only has 35% against their spearman, so I didn't attack. Our Javelin is also close. 26 gold pillaged from the Byzantines. The Abbasids now has 2 gold per turn available (previously zero), so I sell our only honey to them for 2 gpt.
    Spoiler :

Turn 12 894: Sunni islam spread in Marv. 17 gold pillaged from Byzantine cottages and plantation.

Turn summary:
    All the workers from Blzzrd have survived.
    Economy is stable thanks to Byzantine pillage, and now we're running a surplus of 1 gpt at 60% science.
    Settler and missionary making their way are somewhat exposed. I kept them close to the military, but they got stuck at Herat. Should we wait until the horse archer is healed or press ahead?

Spoiler :

We will probably be able to capture Herat the next turn, if they don't build a unit. The javelin is at 36.8%, 12.6% retreat, the spearman at 35.3%. Furthermore, the damaged horse archer is within range.
    Spoiler :

We are two turns away from finishing the Spiral Minaret.

To do:
    Continue pillage the Byzantines.
    Send the spy towards the Abbasids (finished in two turns).
    Capture Herat.
    Decide on the future course of expansion. Do we build more settlers?

9. rrosen

rrosen Chieftain

And as always, I forgot to attach the save. Attached here.

Attached Files:

10. Power_of_Beer

Power_of_Beer Chieftain

Turn 1, 896 AD

Khavakand finishes Missionary, starts granary. The Missionary is sent to Samarkand for now, as Sunni is spread in all cities. Skirmisher pillages paved road&pigs. Javelinman from Samarkand sent to India, Swordsman from Mazar to Merv.
    Javelinman withdraws from Herat, Spearman attacks at 50% odds and wins. 13g plundered and Zoroastrianism purged for 2g. HA heals in Herat.

Spoiler :

Turn 2 898 AD

Mazar completes Spiral Minaret! Starts granary and works food tiles, as we are far away from happy/health cap. Merv finishes spy, builds sunni mosque for 1 turn then settler after it has grown to 5. Spy heads to Iraq.
    I decided to stop the settler for 2 turns and let the missionary do the risky moves ;).

Spoiler :

Turn 3 900 AD

Uneventful

Turn 4 902 AD

Long Distance Trade is learned; free caravan in Herat, heads towards Abbasids. I decided to trade LDT to Abbasids for Shipbuilding, Botany and 60 gold, as there is no danger of them doing trades with other civs - they should all be hostile (mb except Makuria). Research set to Crucible Steel.

Spoiler :

Turn 5 904 AD

Samarkand finishes HA, he gets cI and Shock as there is a barb Axeman approaching Merv, and I don't know if we have any free barb fights left. Build another HA. Skirmisher pillages cottage in Anatolia. Herat pacified, starts Granary.

Turn 6 906 AD

Pillage a Hamlet in Anatolia (near Rhodos). We are at 173g -15gpt (80% science), with 15 turns remaining for Crucible Steel. Worker improves sheep at Herat.

Turn 7 908 AD

HA kills Axeman near Merv at 95% odds. HA from Herat heads to Kerman.

Turn 8 910 AD

Khavakend completes Granary, now Sunni Madrassa. We want to make the Spiral Minaret useful as early as possible, dont we? Since we have some unit supply costs, no units from Herat were sent to scout.

Turn 9 912 AD

Our coins already get devalueated and we have the choice to implement tax reforms for 50g (-5% inflation) or dont care (+5%). I took the tax reforms for long term profits, but I have no idea how big the influence of 5% is (and I didnt want to get my calculator ;)). Skirmisher pillages quarry.

Spoiler :

Turn 10 914 AD

Gwadar founded, starts work boat. It's obviously a blow for our economy, we're at 61g -11gpd (60% science).

Next, settler should be ready soon, where should we send him? There's a spot N of Khavakend with camels, silk, and some flood plains. It won't flip to anyone and gives us another province. 1 worker from Herat should head to Gwadar soon so we can improve the iron when borders pop. And maybe meet Makuria? Cash cropping would be useful.

Hope you're fine that I only have screenshots as attachments. Have yet to figure out to use it from imageshack.

Attached Files:

11. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

Once you have loaded your images (either directly attached or via imageshack or similar website), you need to copy the hyperlink address of the image and then click the "Insert Image" button from the advanced post editing options. The button looks like a yellow postcard, and will generate a popup window which asks for the address of the image.

I use spoilers around the images that I post as a courtesy thing because they may be too wide for some people's browsers.

12. Power_of_Beer

Power_of_Beer Chieftain

Alright, edited. Thanks alot!

13. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Chieftain

Lurker's comment: cutting down inflation is probably the right move.

14. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Chieftain

I agree.

1. Jusos2108 >> On deck
    2. blizzrd
    3. rrosen
    4. Power of Beer >> Just played
    5. Science Rules >> UP

15. rrosen

rrosen Chieftain

Where to and at what pace should we expand? I see several possibilities:
    1: Iran.
    2: The far off Buddhist city in the Himalaya.
    3: Ghaznavids. Before or after Ghorids spawn?
    4: Sindh.
    5: Mount an expedition to Mecca.
    6: Build settlers and settle more cities in Afghanistan.

16. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Chieftain

I wouldn't expand anywhere except for around Lahore and Delhi. All the other areas you mentioned will eventually flip or are contested. I would play the Ghaznavids against the Ghorids. Mecca might be useful but it would be a major drain on your economy.

Grow Lahore and Delhi so that you'll be ready for the Ghorids and Delhi sultanate, not to mention the Mongols.

17. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Chieftain

Okey, if Science Rules doesn't show today, I'll play tonight.

18. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

I think preparing to mount an expedition to Mecca is not a bad idea. As we start to accumulate Great People, we don't want to have them sitting around idle in our cities when they should be settled in Mecca and producing stuff.

19. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Chieftain

Naval or land assault?
    I would go naval, because that would leave some navy around Mecca, which will let us concentrate production on its economy, instead making war galleys to protect the fishing nets.

20. rrosen

rrosen Chieftain

I agree with a naval assault.