[SoI] Samanid Religious Victory

Guys, that barb invasion will start around ~1000, we need way more HAs in Samarkand and Merv! Please dont send any HAs south for now.

I'd say make peace asap, and deal with the Seljuks first. Maybe the road to Iraq should be pillaged, to stop the Seljuk HAs from reaching Merv fast. Trade with Gwadar is interrupted anyway.

That's what I have been saying all along, after looking at the save I would say that pretty much every city should build a barracks and then HAs. The barbs will spawn in twos, so we should've 4-5 HAs in Samarqand, 2 in Marv and 2 in Mazar.

Gwadar can sent troops to take Zaranj (Cata, Sword and HA will probably do) and complete the Greed. Meanwhile our workers should connect Mazar-e Sharif to Herat, Herat to Zaranj and finally Zaranj to Gwadar. This has already been started and we have so many workers and pretty much everything improved that we can easily achieve that before the Seljuks spawn.

Turn 0 978: Redirect Marv, Khavakend, Farghana, Herat to build barracks, Mazer-e-Sharif to build horse archer.

Turn 1 980: Some workers are kept in the north, as I expect alot of pillaging from the Kara-Khanids. Nothing really happens.

Turn 2 982: Horse archer in Samarkand finished. It is sent to Marv. Catapult-Fairground in Gwadar.

Turn 3 984: Ghaznavids spotted.

Turn 4 986: Ghaznavids builds Farah.
Spoiler :

Turn 5 988: Barracks -> Horse archer in khavkend.

Turn 6 990: Fairground -> Blacksmith in Gwadar. Barracks -> horse archer in Marv and Herat. The Kara-Khanid invasion has begun in Transoxiana and Sogdiana. Zaranj has a single promoted archer with city defense. Our horse archer have 28.5% victory, 14.3 % retreat, so it waits for reinforcements.

Turn 7 992: Herat and Farghana barracks -> horse archer. We meet the Fatimids, but can't trade anything.

Turn 8 994: Samarkand horse archer -> horse archer. A Ghaznavid group of a horse archer and a great general approach Zaranj. We could take the city with 28% chance, but I guess they will just kill us and take it without we hooking up the resource first. I attack at 32.9% to win, 13.4 to retreat against the horse archer. Our horse archer is killed :( Should have sent more troops south, but had kept them for Kara-Khanids.

Turn 9 996: Zaranj captured by Ghaznavids anyway. Farghana Khavkend horse archer -> horse archer. One Kara-Khanid killed outside Marv.

Turn 10 998: Mazar e Sharif horse archer-> horse archer. It seems independents are fighting the Kara-Khanids for us mostly.
Spoiler :

Turn 11 1000: Lost a horse archer outside Mazar-e-Sharif.

To be honest, I'm rather dissapointed in my turn set. The Kara-Khanid pressure has been lighter than I expected, and another two horse archers could easily have been spared at 978 to help keep the Ghaznavids from Zaranj.

Attachments

• Ismail Samani AD-1000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    336.3 KB · Views: 55
I'm not sure that we actually need to build a Mine on the Copper and connect it to the city to win the quest? Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

I suspect that "contol" the copper means to have it within the BFC of the city of Zaranj, which obviously needs to be under our control.

But the great general (who was attached to a swordsman) and horse archer would have captured it the next turn before the BFC could have expanded, and now once they have taken it the quest has failed, right?

If the Greed quest is similar to the Holy Mountain quest, then I would expect that the quest is resolved by a city being controlled which has the target in its BFC - and by that I don't mean its cultural borders, I just mean its BFC. If the city hasn't reached 10 culture, that shouldn't matter.

Can we maybe have a vote as to whether we should redo the turn set? Is that in the rules of this SG jusos?

I think we should go back to the start of rrosen's recent turn set and have another try. Happy for rrosen to replay if this can occur.

I case of a another try, I can play in ~14 hours from now. Probably best to let them kill the defending archer, and attack them when they are weak.

I vote for redo as well and it is in the rules (op).

We should destroy the Ghaznavid stack before it takes Zaranj. We can also hire mercs to counter the barbs. I checked out the save and there are mercs to be hired and more to come. Turn science to 10-20% and hire mercs.

You know what, I'm not sure that we actually need the 7 Axemen from completing the quest (I went back and managed it by 1012AD).

I've changed my mind about the redo.

You know what, I'm not sure that we actually need the 7 Axemen from completing the quest (I went back and managed it by 1012AD).

I've changed my mind about the redo.

I thought we would get HAs, but now that I think of it, the reward must depend on the resource.. I kind of agree, they are pretty useless. So no redo needed? Imo Power of Beer can play/post!

Turn 1 1000AD

One HA killed outside Merv.

Turn 2 1001AD

Peace with Ghaznavids for Astrolabe, as a HA is approaching Gwadar. They become pleased.
Engineering learned, trade it to Abbasids for Cash Cropping, Education and 90g. Guilds next, as I dont think we can beat the Abbasids to Algebra. Cancel Silk for Dates, so they cant build the Kutlug Timur. Also cancel cotton for gems, as we dont need happiness right now.
3 barb HAs killed.

Spoiler :

Turn 3 1003AD

Meet Makuria, sell Horsemanship for 20g and open borders.
Lost one HA near Khavakend.
Sell Astrolabe to Buyids for 40g.

Turn 4 1004AD

Killed two HAs, lost one. Gwadar finishes blacksmith, starts madrassah. Khavakend finishes HA, proceeds to finish blacksmith (2 turns)

Turn 5 1006AD

Herat HA->blacksmith. Sell gems to Byzantines for 7gpt.

Turn 6 1007AD

Killed 3 HAs, lost 1. Khavakend blacksmith->HA.

Turn 7 1009AD

Indy Spearman hijacks 2 of our workers in Afghanistan. HA near Samarkand pillages plantation, he is killed.
Gwadar madrassah->trebuchet.
Merv market->blacksmith.

Turn 8 1010AD

Farghana HA->blacksmith. Pillage 30g in Palestine. Deal with Byzantines gets cancelled :(

Turn 9 1012AD

Khavakend HA->market. Killed two HA near Samarkand, lost 1.

Turn 10 1013AD

Revolt to Slavery+Agrarianism. Open borders with Ghaznavids for now, as our route to Gwadar passes their territory. Barb invasion seems to be over.

Next:
Build more HAs for the Seljuks. Their HAs are pretty strong with 1-3 first strikes, so we will have some losses (also probably due to units flipping)
Pillage road to Iraq, once the road to Gwadar is finished
Techs? I'd suggest Castle Building->Ass.Warfare for the free spy. After that, straight for cavalry tactics.
Buyids would trade Textile Arts
Build Kutlug Timur

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 240
  • Ismail Samani AD-1013.CivBeyondSwordSave
    371.6 KB · Views: 42
In terms of units flipping to Seljuks, we should build a stack of 8 javelinmen or whatever our cheapest unit is and park them in Marv. Then they will be flipped one at a time after we refuse the flip for the next 8 turns and our HAs should be fine.

Turn 0: 1013 AD: Nothing

Turn 1: 1015 AD: Kill HA near Marv without losing a unit. Instruct workers to rebuild farm near Samarkand

Turn 2: 1016 AD: Refuse Ghanzavid invitation to declare war on Buyids. Earthquake destroys mine near Mazar-e-Sharif. Road to Gwadar is complete.

Turn 3: 1018 AD: Order workers around. Watch Abassids capture Tripoli.

Turn 4: 1019 AD: Switch Marv Scholar to Priest.

Turn 5: 1021 AD: Capture rebel worker in Asuristan.

Turn 6: 1022 AD: Gwadar finishes swordsman; begins Kutlug-Timur. Ferghana & Mazar-e-Sharif finish Blacksmith; begin Javelinmen. Great Merchant born in Marv.
I send GM towads India because Greater Persia is about to become a dangerous place. Kill Turkoman Horse Archer near Marv; but it takes 2 of our HA's (the first one died with 70% odds). Meet Armenia.

Turn 7: 1024 AD: Abassids want us to cancel trades with Buyids. Khavengand finishes market, begins javelinman.

Turn 8: 1025 AD: Mazar-e-Sharif finishes Javelinman. Rebel Buddhists are sending an axeman & Javelin our way so I give our newly recruited javelinman guerrilla so he can protect the hill to the south for a turn or two.

Turn 9: 1027 AD: I switch Samarkand from Horse Archers to Javelinmen.

Turn 10: 1028 AD: Rebel invaders south of Mazar-e-Sharif are destroyed.

BTW, the Buyids might want to trade their cows with us.

Attachments

• Ismail Samani AD-1028.CivBeyondSwordSave
    397 KB · Views: 54
Looks good. A quick question: when we refuse the flip, the Seljuks will get a stack of units. Will it be in the province which we refused or anywhere in their core area?

Top Bottom