Solar collectors do not work in canyons

wayneb64

Prince
I tried out the new feature with the latest patch to work canyons for two production, but when I use a solar collector over the area, the canyon hex did NOT get the extra energy. Is this a bug or working as intended?

My guess would be that this is a bug, though I can see an argument either way. The patch notes do say "- Re-enabling yield for canyon plots (2 production, not improvable", which I suppose could be interpreted as meaning that the tile yields can't be improved by satellites. That would be an odd use of terminology though, since improvements in BE are specifically something that workers build on tiles, and that they are, of course, unable to build on canyon tiles.
It would seem especially odd for "not improvable" to mean "unable to be enhanced by any means" when there is now a wonder whose sole function is to add production to canyons. I haven't yet built the reworked Tectonic Anvil, though, so I don't know whether the 5 production per canyon is added to the canyon tiles or to the city itself. Is there someone who has built it and can comment on this?

Ocean tiles are not improvable and they get the extra energy so I am going with bug for now. For a patch that took 3 months it sure has very little content and even less testing.

I think you only get the extra energy only on worked tiles regardless of it being improved or not + the bonus energy for the city (if the collector is over a city)
If you "work" a canyon tile AND you don't get the energy, then it is a bug.

I haven't yet built the reworked Tectonic Anvil, though, so I don't know whether the 5 production per canyon is added to the canyon tiles or to the city itself. Is there someone who has built it and can comment on this?
It's added to canyon tiles. And improvements that are built on canyons (by using mods or editing game files) also show their yields on these tiles.

Satellites however do not. So I guess the OrbitalUnits_PlotYieldChanges just doesn't effect Canyon tiles - which may or may not be intentional. I'd almost guess they just forget to change that, but in the end not adding that yield to canyons does make sense, if it's an "all or nothing"-thing. How would a weather controller for example produce food there?

It's added to canyon tiles. And improvements that are built on canyons (by using mods or editing game files) also show their yields on these tiles.

Satellites however do not. So I guess the OrbitalUnits_PlotYieldChanges just doesn't effect Canyon tiles - which may or may not be intentional. I'd almost guess they just forget to change that, but in the end not adding that yield to canyons does make sense, if it's an "all or nothing"-thing. How would a weather controller for example produce food there?

Floating vegetation? :)

If the canyon yields are directly increased, I would definitely say that this is a bug. Otherwise "not improvable" would have to mean something distinct both from its standard English meaning and from the specific definition of "improvement" in Civ BE.

As far a flavor is concerned, I don't know exactly how a weather controller is supposed to work, but if it can increase food yields in deserts, oceans, tundras, cities, mines, xenomass wells and floatstone quarries, I see no reason it should be unable to improve them in canyons.

Top Bottom