Solutions for a failed Government

Lord Civius

Emperor
Below is a list of citizen posts to why our past Governments have failed. They have failed at both organizing the gameplay and the Citizenry. Following each post I have added a possible solution to the grievances. I urge my fellow citizens to voice their opinions or come up with solutions for our failed government.

I have noticed that the government, the APR, has been less and less active after every turn session. I am now noticing a pattern :cough:triad:/cough

A Citizens activity or inactivity cannot be condemned. As long as there are hungry citizens like Vandal ready for a revolt the faction in power can be ousted. However if a citizen cannot handle his duties or obligations they should resign or appoint another in their place.

As part of my newly assigned duties, I created the Land Grant program, which seemed to inspire a new inerest in our players. But this interest was quickly quelled when religious fanatics protested against the allocation of lands they felt belong to them. This brought the Land Grant Program to a halt. And of course people's interest dwindled again. The LGP could have been a real boon to the RPG section of the game, as well as the overall game. It was going to evolve into a monetary system for the RPG, but that never came about, even though Lord Civius and I PMd for about a week drumming up the details.

Yes Cyc and I have continued to work out some of the details in my spare time. The King is King and in the end should have power to use the resources and the land as he sees fit for gameplay and RP. I remember a compromise (as far as the gold) was made and we could have instituted the RP economy but due to my inactivity it never got off its feet. I would still like to see it come about after the elections.

King dutchfire believed a war would remotivate us after the loss of our great King. And this was true to some extent. But our Military advisor, the knowledgeable DaveShack, was also swamped with real life. It's hard to be at war with no Military Advisor. Again, after a brief rise in participation, our player activity dwindled again.

The King should be the Commander in Chief. Having advisors is good but when it comes to gameplay, war or otherwise it is the PF leaders responsibility.

My final "bow out" came when I asked for help getting a screenshot of our continent, so I could renumber the tiles. This never happened. I don't even own CIV. I've just been trying to help the DG

I can no longer open the save because i upgraded to the 3.17 patch. In good faith I'm sure the new PF and its leader can come up with the maps.

I'm not opposed, but I'm not completely sold either, I still believe that the APR is the best form of government I have seen this game, but the isolation is intense, I was not expecting this when I started, and I am not pleased.
I hope I stand with more then just myself when I say that the citizens of our nation need more independence from our government, especially when our entire kingdom comes to a halt when our leaders don't give us direct orders. If that is the case, we do need a new "political outlook."

I think we lack organization and just blow with the wind. IMO the PF should have a chain of command. I brought up the idea of a regent to the crown. If the PF leader is MIA or slacking the regent would take the helm and appoint a new regent. This way our leaders could more easily be held accountable. All other PF citizens can be named advisors but would not be essential to the smooth running of the game. Having to wait on orders is unnecessary in the Faction system.

Speaking just for myself:
With JoeHarker, I helped in the Domestic Affairs.
But after the last patch, I can no longer open the saves, so I'm
helplessly out, as I already posted.
Best regards

I am having this same problem and the solution so far is wait on HOF. For now the PF's running in the election should take this into account. If the PF's leader (or strong designated player) does not have access to the save then we have problems

Well, I tried to keep it a bit active by having a TC every week, but when I left for a week, no-one stepped up to play. So it was pretty silent.

Again with a regent to the crown this problem may have been avoided.

I agree with everything your saying, I believe that governments should be rethought in every aspect, really, but with inactivity being the plague of our time, perhaps maybe regents aren't the way to go.

Perhaps citizens should be given the right to organize into groups reflecting the government's performance and activity. If these groups were given the right to justify an impeachment of someone during the drawn-out and/or sudden inactivity of the king or the entire government (inactivity of the entire government was what dismantled the APR, not the inactivity of the king, we heard about that) governments would be forced to reform thus saving the DG of another rebellion and continuing it..

So thecommonnate, what you're suggesting is a citizen watchdog group. Similar to what Vandal Warload did when he became fed up with the APR's inactivity. I thought citizens already had that right. We just didn't have a group formed.

Yes Cyc and I have continued to work out some of the details in my spare time. The King is King and in the end should have power to use the resources and the land as he sees fit for gameplay and RP. I remember a compromise (as far as the gold) was made and we could have instituted the RP economy but due to my inactivity it never got off its feet. I would still like to see it come about after the elections.
I believe the foundation has been laid. :goodjob:

The King should be the Commander in Chief. Having advisors is good but when it comes to gameplay, war or otherwise it is the PF leaders responsibility.
True, but as a citizen of the Country, I needed the projections and stats about the Military that DaveShack gave to make my decisions and form my opinions.
I think we lack organization and just blow with the wind. IMO the PF should have a chain of command. I brought up the idea of a regent to the crown. If the PF leader is MIA or slacking the regent would take the helm and appoint a new regent. This way our leaders could more easily be held accountable. All other PF citizens can be named advisors but would not be essential to the smooth running of the game. Having to wait on orders is unnecessary in the Faction system.
This way our "2" Leaders could more easily be held accountable. In your faction system, there seems to be only two Leaders, and we should make that clear. In the Traditional system there were at least seven Leaders (theoretically), and they were held accountable by elections. But back to this game. With the poll showing a vast majority wanting to keep the Faction system, you may be right that a 2 Leader faction is the way to go. Both VW and civplayah have stated they are open to the Regent plan.

Thanks guys for the replies. Don't get me wrong I am not in favor of a 2 leader faction. The regent should act more like a VP. If the King is incapacitated or becoming inactive then the regent would become King and sole leader of the PF. This way it would give the citizenry a clear message that the PF is not capable of governing should both King and his heir drop the ball.

A good and tested system, IMO:
One leader,one replacement, advisers (at least three: domestic,military,research).
The advisers must create threads about their advising field. Said threads should be the
heart of the "forum game".
The leader must coordinate all strategies in a whole. Leader plays the session turns. If
another player is appointed to play, he will be the leader for that session.
And gameplay and RPG are two independent things.
Best regards,

What if the King and the Regent become inactive? It's only two people, and thats very possible.

The idea of the government should be to stay in power + whatever else it wishes to achieve; if our government allowed us to decide if our leaders have not been active enough we should be able to hold some sort of elections without rebelling and putting a different government in power.

A rule such as that would be written in the Factions (PF) Charter or main rules.

Yes thats true, and that could be were the new COA works, with its Gameplay cycles (I'm supposing it means the whole DG and not just gameplay). Perhaps we could get one of these to work, it would get quite annoying rebelling every time the government gets a little more inactive then the people want it to be.

I don't see any reason why the Cycles couldn't take us right through to Representation. The only time a rebellion is necessary is when either a PF loses favor with the citizenry or a better Government Civic becomes available. I find the rebellions a strength as much as a weakness so far.

I urge the CoA to organize both GP and RP if we want to reenergize the citizens. I would also like to see more sub-forums.

Top Bottom