[SOLVED] Can't create a BOTM-worthy game under BUFFY

georgjorge

Deity Wannabe
After years, I'd like to try BOTM again, which requires BUFFY to lock Modified Assets. I got the mod running (tried starting via .ini or loading manually), and I am starting the game as admin (admin account as well as right-clicking and "start as admin"). However, the game still informs me that the session won't be allowed for HOF (which I guess also means BOTM).

Under Options in the game, I get the following message in red text:

"BUFFY has to be installed in the following directory"

and then the directory right where it actually is installed (Beyond the Sword\Mods).

I'm running Windows 10 Home, and not using Steam, for what it's worth. Is there any way for me to play BOTM? Haven't found anything in older threads. Thanks!

If you don't get an answer here, try asking in the Game Of The Month forum.

Please check this page.

Are you using the STEAM version or the disk version? It matters. If it is STEAM, you have to use the unsupported STEAM beta version to get the assets to align correctly.

First of all, thanks for your replies.

@leif erikson: I checked the page, but I already did all those steps - I assigned all necessary permissions to users for this folder, and allowed users to write into those folders.

As for steam, I THINK I'm using the disc version. I had it some time ago, but it's possible I lost it a couple of years ago and re-bought the game on steam. But I don't use the steam app or anything, I start the game from the .exe itself stored on the computer. Is there any way for me to find out about possible steam-ishness of the files? What to do then? Thanks!

SOLVED!

First of all, not Steam-related.

Second, the problem were too many BUFFY installations. There was BUFFY under
1. Program Files/Firaxis Games/Civ 4/Beyond the Sword/Mods
2. User/Georg secure/Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/Mods
3. User/Georg/Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/Mods

The user under 3. is the admin user. I always loaded BTS as admin (as recommended), which apparently confused the game, as it loaded BUFFY correctly (either from 1. or from 2.) but then somehow couldn't decide between the version it loaded and the one under the admin directory? No idea. However, I deleted the BUFFY in the admin user folder, and didn't get any more error messages about not being HOF-eligible.

Top Bottom