[GS] Some changes on War

2: Ranged units now receive a -17 malus against naval units.

This has been in the game since the patch that came with Rise and Fall. Ranged units deal less damage against naval units, while siege units do more.

1: Not only Mali UU, but Knight, are increased to 220 prod cost.
2: Ranged units now receive a -17 malus against naval units.

So does this mean that using one ranged unit inside a coastal city, for defense against ships, is likely a bad idea now? If so, I can see why.

Yeah, they're penalized now. I know this from my current game where I'm trying to scare away barbarian ships with my archers, to the tune of like -6 damage a turn. Yeah, I'm not doing too well.

So does this mean that using one ranged unit inside a coastal city, for defense against ships, is likely a bad idea now? If so, I can see why.

Still not a bad idea. A ranged land unit and a ranged naval unit in the city centre plus the city's own attack makes for a pretty solid defence.

Ranged units already have a malus against naval units, has this been increased?

Oh I checked. Seems that ranged units already receive a -17 against naval units in the Current patch. While siege units don't receive malus against navy( but -17 against land units)
(Counterwise, naval units don't receive that malus, so Frigate v. Crossbowman is actually 23 v 45 when crossbow attacks, but 55 v 30 when frigate attacks. A Frigate can easily outperform a crossbow army)

So the only change is the balance action on Knight, it increases from 180 prod cost to 220.

seems like a good change.

Surprising, too. I thought that, to date, the costs of units / buildings was inflexibly tied to the point in the tech/civics that they appeared. Either I was wrong and there was some variability, or they've changed this (or moved the tech where Knights appear?)

Surprising, too. I thought that, to date, the costs of units / buildings was inflexibly tied to the point in the tech/civics that they appeared. Either I was wrong and there was some variability, or they've changed this (or moved the tech where Knights appear?)

From a technical standpoint, unit cost is just a field in the Units table. It's not directly tied to anything, just informally based on positioning in the tech tree. Scouts and Slingers for example have different costs despite neither being tied to a tech. The Cree unique Scout costs more than the standard one. I'm not sure about other units.

upload_2019-1-18_23-19-29.png

Who cares about the cost of ANY unit if you can bring a battering ram accompanying even paratroopers to bring down defenses up to the future era? :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:

I bet you will be able to link a battering ram with a JDR ( not a typo, Jumping Death Robot)... :rolleyes: will the battering ram also jump over mountains then?

What made no sense was that pikemen were even before in the tech tree but costed more (200 vs 180). While crossbowmen were 180.

Who cares about the cost of ANY unit if you can bring a battering ram accompanying even paratroopers to bring down defenses up to the future era? :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:

I bet you will be able to link a battering ram with a JDR ( not a typo, Jumping Death Robot)... :rolleyes: will the battering ram also jump over mountains then?

I seem to recall that battering rams/seige towers are ineffective at a certain tech... and then there affects are baked into melee units thereafter...

Correct me if I am wrong.

I seem to recall that battering rams/seige towers are ineffective at a certain tech... and then there affects are baked into melee units thereafter...

Steel is the tech, but not you researching steel, the person you are attacking has to research steel. Can't be built after civil engineering I believe, so don't lose them.

GDR doesn't really need them, or artillery, or bombers since it has a pretty powerful ranged attack.

Top Bottom