1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Some differences Europe/USA

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Whomp, May 29, 2008.

1. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Depends on the country.
    In Germany it has been discouraged for obvious reasons but France and Britain are similar to the the USA in this regard as well as some countries which have only regained independece about two decades ago (Poland and Croatia come to mind).

2. bhsup

bhsup Deity

I'm willing to apologize for Steve Guttenburg, for what it's worth.
    Indeed. Go order a biscuit and gravy breakfast from most any truckstop restaurant in the States. Your eyes will pop out of your skull at the size of the portions. And it's cheap, cheap, cheap.

3. T!ck

T!ck Chieftain

Thats true I guess, there will always be a certain amount of patriotism in any country.
    However, I meant that most, if not all European countries, do not have the same level of patriotism as the USA.
    I can't speak for the rest of Europe, but in the UK, patriots and nationalists are a political and idealogical minority whereas it seems that the opposite is true in the USA.
    The USA have no need for a special nationalist party because the government is, and always has been nationalist, along with the rest of the country.

This blind allegience to the country and ideology makes the forceful spreading of freedom and democracy elsewhere acceptable, be it through war (Vietnam), embargoes (Cuba) or other means.

4. holy king

holy king Deity

well, i remember germans always trying to pay with d-mark in austria before the euro. and always being pissed off when it didnt work, after all it was good german money... :lol:

5. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki Anton's key

I'm nationalist like that as well, once when i visited Tallinn i did pay with Finnish marks (when we still had those). The fact that i was so drunk that i thought i was in Finland might have had something to do with.. :mischief:

6. Sidhe

Sidhe Deity

Well it's a start. ;)

Food here is as cheap, but the portions less, it's definitely a US thing. Is it a bad thing, nah not necessarily, unless your a bloated warthog with no control over your eating like Homer. :D

7. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Saw the same thing here with two american girls incensed that a bagel shop here in Dublin wouldnt take dollars... there was about 40 eyes rolling in the shop, sniggers abounded etc...

8. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

why not make use of this? many swiss shops accept Euros.....at a 'special' conversion rate :mischief:

9. holy king

holy king Deity

that's the swiss approach. all the others just are outraged and continue chewing over their inferiority complexes.

10. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

This seems to be a more and more common misconception. How did Poland only regain independence only about two decades ago? They only got out of the Eastern Bloc then, they were not in the Soviet Union...

11. Julian Delphiki

I think you pretty much answered to your own question there.

12. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

Not really, what would you call Eastern Bloc countries? Regions? Doesn't work that way....

13. holy king

holy king Deity

satellites of the ussr?

14. Julian Delphiki

Of course Eastern Bloc was composed of countries which were 'independent', but real freedom and independence came later.

15. Arwon

Arwon

I think you'll find that varies from country to country, though, the level of patriotism and nationalistic stuff. Poles aren't Slovaks aren't Hungarians aren't Bulgarians.

16. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

It was not technically part of the Soviet Unio, but it wasn't independent either.
    More like a vassal state.

17. Arwon

Arwon

It was a limited sort of independence, a group of dictatorships dominated by very orthodox forces. I wouldn't quite call it vassal status because that implies things like tribute, but it was close. The Brezhnev Doctrine in general, and obviously the invasions of 56 and 68 in particular, made it so the countries' political system had to remain a one party states with very pro-Soviet foreign policies (Ceauşescu excepted), but within those heavy limitations they ran their own affairs, and there were differences between the states, but only really in the economic sphere. If I recall correctly, some countries never collectivised agriculture and others had markedly more market-oriented systems than the rest, some had consumer-goods oriented economies rather than big industry goods. Not everything was dictated from Moscow, at least not after about 1970. Just everything political.

18. lovett

lovett Deity

I thought food was a rare good point, as far as description goes.

But the problem is that it still doesn't define what 'Europe' it is actually talking about. Again, what do you mean by Europe? Geographical Europe? The EU? France and Germany?

The food culture described is really variable. The reason you never experienced it in Britain was because it doesn't exist. Its much more subdued in Scanadfanavia, and of a completely different orientation (Lunch) around the Med.

Frankly, I think drawing comparisons between 'Europe' and the US is going to be very hard, because first you've got to find aspects of culture common to all of Europe.

19. sonorakitch

sonorakitch Overseas hunter

Following to major wars on European soil started by nationalism, of course it is bad. Europeans don't like nationalism. So nationaism is bad.

However, Americans are very different. We haven't experienced the problems with nationalism to the level of Europe. So nationalism is good.

I found the portions to be pretty large in Germany though. I was actually quite surprised.

I always miss the double chicken fried steaks with 2 gallons of gravy and four potatos when I go to Europe. Thankfully I can still get relief in Deutschland. ;)

~Chris

20. Oruc

Oruc Reactionary

Seems like a great idea to me, I dislike the Euro types