1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Some differences Europe/USA

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Whomp, May 29, 2008.

1. Bronx Warlord

Bronx Warlord Squad Leader

I've got a months pay that says 99% of American Citizens interned during the period were released. How about we look at the figures of the other side and really think about your point there?

Oh and a side note... it was a law enacted by an elected American president and carried out by the government of it's citizens choice. Is that not the democratic process?

Democracy can be rather cold too, a reflection of the humans who came up with the nifty little idea.

2. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

You misunderstand. I meant you can't compare the atrocities done by nazi-germany and former jugoslavia with America. Doesn't make sense

3. Bronx Warlord

As a smal side note and contrast, look at the survival rates for Americans taken into captivity by the Empire of Japan during the same period. Enlightening figures.

4. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

nobody is saying the Us govt was worse than the Japanese empire. anyway, those people interned were innocent civilians, the americans were hostile soldiers. Stop trying to say the Us did nothing wrong just because someone else did worse, its a ten year old's argument.

5. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki Anton's key

So, now you wanted someone to bring up that little bomb thing over there .. ;)

6. Bronx Warlord

It makes perfect sense when I see europenas saying the the USA is " lightyears " behind in terms of racial relations. Both the holocost and Yugoslavia were racially and religiously motivated actions taken by Europeans. Lightyears behind? I'm sorry but I have enough of a hard time dealing with stupidity from Americans that can not be bothered to read a book on there own history, let alone Europeans who will gloss over there own.

btw - the op-ed peice is garbage. I've been to Europe many times and have lived on both coasts of the USA. It's diffrent for sure, yet not as much as many of the posters here seem to think.

7. I'm Cleo!

I'm Cleo! Deity

How did this discussion of race in America turn into "We were the good guys in WWII?" Of course we were the good guys in WWII. And being the good guys established us as the pre-eminent force in the world. People loved us, looked up to us, and we worked hard to help people.

But race is still a big issue in America, bigger than the article in the OP made it out to be.

Cleo

8. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Lack of PC is a bad thing? Evil Europeans and their free speech...

Most post-communist countries are actually far less sexist than the Western European ones. Women had to work in communism which helped the process of emancipation.

Anyway, what you say is simply not true. I heard from Czech girls who've been to the US that they sometimes felt like in some Arab country.

9. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Winner is everything alright with you? Ive seen two, count em, two vaguely positive statements about communism from you today... did you get a bang on the head or something?

10. knowltok2

knowltok2 Deity

Gah! Both of you are drawing TRUTH from a few conversations you've had with other people. Seriously.

11. Bronx Warlord

It's a much bigger issue everywere. From the South Bronx to South Central LA to the not so nice places in Paris and London. Has been for hundreds of years and will be for some time, though we as humans are " lightyears " ahead of what we once were. You could even say it's " Not as bad " ;)

12. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Which is why I say that I heard, not that I know.

13. Lillefix

So you need to compare America to dictatorships in order to make your contry look good. If you say so...

14. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy CheeseBob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interracial_marriage#cite_note-census-1

The 2.2% figure for the US is 9 years older than the UK figure of 2% (so without the introduction of the 'mixed race' category in 2000, it would likely have still been increased to 3% or so).

The UK has a smaller non-white population than the US, so the fact that the UK is comparable to the US rate is good for the UK, but then again, the US stats don't count hispanics (counted them as white I think), so the US rate would be increased quite a bit.

15. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Communism was, is and always will be evil. However, it had few positive effects on the society. Very few compared to the harm it has done, but since we can't go back, we have to take them as an asset.

16. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

OH MY GOD....

That article was so wrong in so many ways, that I don't even know where to start.

17. Lillefix

Hispanic must be one of thr most doubius terms I know of.

18. Old Dog

Old Dog learning new tricks

Yeah, it's pretty horrific over here. I agree Heydrich-land would be much more preferable.

19. I'm Cleo!

I'm Cleo! Deity

To continue the inter-racial marriage discussion, there are also large numbers of inter-racial relationships that aren't marriages. Just looking at marriages might not give the clearest picture.

Cleo

20. Bronx Warlord

You make the history thread and I'll gladly discuss the merits and flaws of Operation:Downfall : )