1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Some general modding questions

Discussion in 'Mod Creation Help' started by Question, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Question

Question King

-Which files contain the tile requirements to build certain districts/wonders? E.G. Aqueduct must be built next to a water source and the city center, which file contains that requirement? Im trying to change it so that Aqueducts dont need to be built next to the city center.

-How do you reduce the time needed for governors to be re-assigned? I know you can change the time itself in Expansion1_GlobalParameters.xml, but reducing it to 1 turns still causes the governor to have a 0 icon next to it and their abilities do not work.

-Where can i change the max number of cities that a luxury resource affects for amenities purposes?

2. Baradar67

Baradar67 Chieftain

Hey Q, just a noob at this myself but I found them in requirements.xml using Notepad++ to search > find in files > aqueduct. I highly recommend using that to find what you need (I'm trawling here for more info on modding myself but notepad++ makes it easier).

This is the result

Line 74: <RequirementId>REQUIRES_DISTRICT_IS_AQUEDUCT</RequirementId>
    Line 189: <RequirementId>REQUIRES_DISTRICT_IS_AQUEDUCT</RequirementId>
    Line 191: <Value>DISTRICT_AQUEDUCT</Value>

HTH

3. Question

Question King

Yes but none of that seems to be the part that says "this can only be built next to a city center" which is what i am trying to change...

4. Question

Question King

Well i found the file for wonders, its buildings.xml. That file contains the requirements for building wonders next to certain districts.

But i still cannot find the part that says aqueducts must be built next to the city center...

5. Cyphose

Cyphose y tho

First off, here's the code for the Aqueduct:
    The part that caught my eye here is what I've marked in red. I suspect that the Aqueduct column is hard-coded to do the following:
    • make the District valid only if adjacent to a City and a source of Fresh Water (River, Mountain, Oasis, Lake)
    • grant the Aqueduct Housing bonuses when constructed
    I conducted a real quick test of this by throwing the following into a mod (I picked the Lavra because it's available after one tech and is half price), just to see how it would affect building it:
    Code:
    <Update>
        <Where DistrictType="DISTRICT_LAVRA" />
        <Set Aqueduct="true" />
    </Update>
    The result was that, in a City without Fresh Water, I couldn't even place it because I didn't have any adjacent sources of Fresh Water:

It looks like this is a case of Firaxis hard-coding exactly what an Aqueduct requires and does, sorry. I don't have the time to test more extensively, but I imagine that setting the Aqueduct column to false will make it buildable everywhere, but also lose its Housing/Fresh Water-related mechanics.

6. Question

Question King

Oh, thanks. I did see the aqueduct=true line but i didnt think they would hard code it...seems pretty silly.

I will try to see if setitng it to false will still grant the housing bonuses.

7. Question

Question King

OK i tested it, setting it to false lets you build it but you get no housing bonus at all. You can set it to true then restart the game to get the housing bonus but thats a lot of work...

I think it might be possible to just replace the aqueduct with a "wonder" with no build limit so you canget the same effect without requiring it to be adjacent to the city...

8. Question

Question King

Anyone happen to know how to mod the amenities?