1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Some Ideas

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by cobains disease, Dec 5, 2006.

1. cobains disease

cobains disease Chieftain

I thought these might be interseting concepts that could be added to Civilization:

Disease/plague, Weather, Religous persecution, Natural disasters, drought, rebellion/ revolution etc

2. Seafroggys

Seafroggys Chieftain

Disease is in Civ4, but not population reducing plagues. Weather is pointless since a turn can last 20 years at a time. Religious persecution is hard to model. I think there are natural disasters, or was that Civ3? Drought could be related to global warming. And rebellion/revolution is in the Rhye's mod.

3. cobains disease

cobains disease Chieftain

i havnt seen diseases in civ. i dont know if your talking about unhealthness, but i am suggesting adding diseases that spread and have varrying results.

as in weather it would be turn by turn (yeah i know 20 years of rain but whatever) and affect combat/visiblility.

religous persecution would requie a civic (not a new one but an existing one maybe theocracy). missionaries of the state religion could be able to remove other religions albeit with much unhappiness, and anger from other civs.

natural disaster (i.e. hurricanes, earthquakes) could just be hypercharged weather.

and could you or someone else give me a link to "rhye's mod"

4. deanjack

deanjack Ruler of the Universe

For warlords go to Civ4 file database modpacks Rhys and fall of civilization

5. Seafroggys

Seafroggys Chieftain

Weather is pointless. 20 years of rain just doesn't work. I don't see how you can think of this as a viable option.

About the disease, I was talking about unhealthiness. In Civ3 there was actually disease that removed population, but I believe that was taken out for micromanagement purposes.

Your religious persecution idea is pointless. What gameplay benefit is there from removing religion from a city? If anything, it would hurt you more, because you lose cultural output. With the current system of religion, there is no point for that.

6. happy_Alex

happy_Alex Happiness set to 11

Disease exists in CIV3 for cities near jungle and flood plains. In Civ4 I think it stops cities from growing when they're near jungles. I think disease should have a much bigger role, especially as it has had a huge impact on history, for example the plague hit the later roman empire really badly and reduced its population significaantly. In recent history we have spanish flu, which killed more than the 1st world war.

As for other missing stuff I would suggest tin instead of copper as a strategic resource as it far more rare (e.g. the egyptians imported their tin from cornwall, the only place it occurs in Europe)

7. gunkulator

gunkulator Emperor

Disease has played a major role in human history, however it could be hard to model. Sure 95% of Native Americans were wiped out by disease but I don't think anyone wants effects like that in the game. On the other hand, tropical diseases prevented large scale European colonization of Africa until well into the 19th century. Something like that might be possible.

IMO, the game shows its Eurasian bias by having jungles cause unhealthiness but not grassland and plains. There are no more tropical germs than there are temperate ones. Certainly Eurasian germs (flu, smallpox, measels, rubella, bubonic plague, etc.) have killed many more people than tropical diseases (malaria, yellow fever, etc.) have.

Almost all infectious diseases have their origins in herd animals. It is because we domesticated those animals and lived in close proximity to them that these diseases evolved to infect us. Ironically, the game gives you +1 health for cows, sheep, pigs, etc when in fact it is these animals that are the cause of most disease.