Some interesting stats about Civ V players

thecrazyscot

Spiffy
Here are some interesting stats pulled from the Civ V achievements on Steam. A couple things to keep in mind:
  • All achievements except those relating to mods don't reflect modded play (although only 15.5% of players have played with a mod)
  • This is counting anyone who has Civ V on Steam
  • There are rumors of certain achievements being bugged for some people
A write-up with some pretty graphs here.

Anyways, I thought it was fun, so here we go.
76.8% of players have discovered an ancient ruin
71.7% founded a second city
50.4% eliminated another civilization

I think it's fairly safe to say that about 23.2% of people who own the game haven't even started it up (or at least haven't gotten past the first few moves).

More stats below.

Liberty is the most commonly completed policy track (46.2%) followed by Tradition (39.9%) and Honor (38.7%).

39.8% of players have founded a Pantheon, and 35.3% have founded a religion.

Only 33% of players have used nukes.

27.3% of players have fully explored the Tech Tree.

18.5% of players of downloaded a mod, while 15.5% have actually played with one.
Top 5 Most Subscribed mods
1. Ingame Editor...237,000 subscribers
2. R.E.D Modpack...218,000 subscribers
3. Infoaddict...174,000 subscribers
4. Play the World Extended (G&K)...152,000 subscribers
5. A Mod of Ice & Fire (G&K)...121,000 subscribers

Percentage of players who have beaten a game per difficulty level:
Settler 13.9%
Chieftan 22.2%
Warlord 14.3%
Prince 14.4%
King 6.5%
Emperor 3.7%
Immortal 1.9%
Deity 1.5%

Percentage of players who have won by victory type:
Domination 23%
Space 20.2%
Cultural 15.5%
Diplomatic 12.3%
All victory conditions 6.1%

Percentage of players who have won on each map (well, these four):
Continents 24.3%
Earth 12.5%
Pangaea 12%
Archipelago 7.3%

Percentage of players who have won with a particular civ (top 10, see complete list in spoiler):
America 9.8%
Rome 8.7%
Russia 8.2%
Germany 8.2%
Japan 7.7%
Egypt 7.5%
France 7.4%
Greece 6.9%
England 6.8%
India 5.3%
Spoiler :

America 9.8%
Rome 8.7%
Russia 8.2%
Germany 8.2%
Japan 7.7%
Egypt 7.5%
France 7.4%
Greece 6.9%
England 6.8%
India 5.3%
China 5.2%
Persia 4.9%
Aztecs 4.8%
Arabia 4.8%
Iroquois 4.5%
Songhai 4.2%
Mongols 4.1%
Siam 3.9%
Babylon 3.7%
Ottomans 3.3%
Korea 3.0%
Spain 2.8%
Poland 2.8%
Shoshone 2.5%
Venice 2.5%
Austria 2.4%
Huns 2.3%
Inca 2.3%
Celts 2.3%
Denmark 2.3%
Carthage 2.1%
Byzantium 2.1%
Polynesia 2.0%
Netherlands 2.0%
Brazil 1.9%
Morocco 1.9%
Mayans 1.9%
Ethiopia 1.8%
Sweden 1.6%
Assyria 1.4%
Indonesia 1.3%
Zulu 1.3%
Portugal 1.3%

Indonesia is the least popular civ, with only 1.2% of players leading them to victory. Portugal is now the least popular civ!

5.5% of players have won a multiplayer match.

Empire of the Smoky Skies is the most popular scenario, with 1.7% of players beating it.

Only 1.1% of players can into space as Poland.

The 5 hardest achievements to get appear to be these, with roughly 0.2% of players obtaining them:
5. Win the Fall of Rome scenario as the Eastern or Western Roman empire with all your original cities under your control.
4. Win the Scramble for Africa scenario as the Boers on Deity.
3. Win the Into the Renaissance scenario as the Almohads on Emperor or above.
2. Win the 1066 scenario on Deity.

And the rarest award goes to...
1. Win the Scramble for Africa scenario as the Ottomans on Deity.

So who's going to go for it? :D

Very cool, thanks for sharing.
I'd love to see the entire list of the particular Civs players have won with.
Indonesia's a tough one to use because the UU can be amazing, but can also be terrible, and since it's a total gamble, a lot of people probably don't like that. In some ways, Indonesia is the most fun civ because you never know what your UU will be.

Done! :D

Percentage of players who have won with a particular civ:
America 9.8%
Russia 8.2%
Germany 8.2%
Japan 7.7%
Egypt 7.5%
France 7.4%
Greece 6.9%
India 5.3%
China 5.1%
Persia 4.9%
Aztecs 4.8%
Arabia 4.8%
Iroqois 4.5%
Songhai 4.2%
Mongols 4.1%
Siam 3.9%
Babylon 3.7%
Ottomans 3.3%
Korea 3%
Poland 2.8%
Spain 2.7%
Shoshone 2.5%
Venice 2.5%
Austria 2.4%
Attila 2.3%
Inca 2.3%
Celts 2.3%
Denmark 2.3%
Carthage 2.1%
Byzantium 2.1%
Netherlands 2%
Polynesia 2%
Brazil 1.9%
Maya 1.9%
Morocco 1.9%
Ethiopia 1.8%
Sweden 1.6%
Portugal 1.3%
Zulu 1.3%
Assyria 1.3%
Indonesia 1.2%

Funny that Assyria is so low considering how boss it is. At chieftain you can conquer the world with a seige ram and some guys with axes.

I'm surprised that the Civ most people have won with is America. Is this some good old American pride at work?

People tend to pick their own civ more often i imagine, hence american bias

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!

Interesting... I've never tried America but Shoshone is great. Indonesia is really boring. Wanted to try a few times to use Kris swords but never played that much to recruit a single one. :think:

I want to like Indonesia more, but i've never enjoyed a game with them.

Made my smile to see "Play the World Extended (G&K)" as top map, i love that map!

Im into legendary earth mod right now though, i know fans take up the slack but i dont know why civ doesnt ship with an official TSL earth, lots play them.

I tried the Almohads on Into the Renaissance on Deity. It was one of the most boring games of Civ I've ever played. You are effectively isolated from everyone except Izzy (who DoWs you) and maybe England. If you explore all the way across Africa, you finally meet the Ayyubids. Basically, the only way you can win this is to conquer a lot and ally Mecca. I didn't get the achievement because I couldn't do all of that, considering I realized this on turn 100, half way through the scenario. Regardless, I now see why it's a rare achievement :wallbash:

The achievement for winning 1066 on Deity is so out of place. The other 4 around it are so much harder that words can't even do it justice.

Those achievements are quite wonky at times. There's that one that goes "yoink" and it describes Austria marrying a CS with 15 units of their own. I've never played Austria and I have this achievement because an AI did it in one map and the game was like ... close enough, wrap it up

I just tried 1066 on Deity as Denmark. I kinda didn't focus, so I was left with hordes of those Norman Knights, which are the most absurd UU I've ever seen. They came in and took Oxford. Meanwhile, I tried to take Exeter but again the accursed Normans stopped me with a dozen of those little demons. I was close, but I couldn't pull it off. Well, I guess it was a learning experience: 1066 is unbalanced.

I just tried 1066 on Deity as Denmark. I kinda didn't focus, so I was left with hordes of those Norman Knights, which are the most absurd UU I've ever seen. They came in and took Oxford. Meanwhile, I tried to take Exeter but again the accursed Normans stopped me with a dozen of those little demons. I was close, but I couldn't pull it off. Well, I guess it was a learning experience: 1066 is unbalanced.

It's funny to see you come to that conclusion since my observations were that the scenario was unbalanced against Normandy. They were hands-down the hardest invader for me to win as, and when I played Denmark and even England, Normandy failed to capture a single city. It's weird how the scenarios can play out so differently for different people.

Luck-based shenanigans aside, it sounds like your main problem was bad planning (which I don't mean as an insult; it's pretty much impossible to know what to do in this scenario on your first playthrough). I've found it most effective as all of the invading civs to swing northwest toward Chester once you've grabbed London. Most of the best Shire producers are along that path, and you'll encounter little to no resistance from the other invaders. Exeter is only worth the effort if you're Normandy.

I went for Exeter because I was facing Norway to the North, so I couldn't expand against his Carpet of Doom (really?), and I had to fend off Normandy from the South. As for bad planning, I can't help but agree. I pushed up too close o Norway when I took Stamford, so I devoted roughly half of my military to protecting Stamford and making sure Norway couldn't expand. Meanwhile, Normandy was slowly taking the south, but once they did, they marched in with those knights. This effectively squeezed my forces out to Exeter.

Very interesting, thank you.

If you don't mind me saying, your full list of most played Civs has England and one other Civ missing!

Top Bottom