Some Issues

Exerior

Chieftain
I played a whole game RoM to the end - it was nice.

After this great game (two whole days). I have some suggestions:

1. Endgame Production
In endgame my cities had all around 600-800 production/turn. The most expansive unit was around 500 ... i think this is too cheap.
I like the idea to get some cheap cloning units in the game, but if you are able to spam the best units, this concept isn't working at all.

2. Mass Building Selections
It is nice to have many diffrent buildings. But i am beginning to hate the interface. If u captured a City in Lategame, you have to search in the list from over 100 diffrent buildings the right one ...
Solutions might be:
- Chaging the interface (yeah, this isnt realistic, but is has to stand here)
- More Buildings that needs others to be build first (some Production Builds need others already)
- Upgrade Buildings (e.g. Libary will get to University)
- Obsolete Buildings (the School of Scribes gets obsolete ... the forge doesnt ... ?!?)

3. Mass Unit Selections
Also the unit Selection is ... too many. I realy don't see any point in building a "Police" Unit at the end of the game ... some others seems useless as well. I suggest to remove them out of the buildable units.

4. Air Units
I had the feeling the air units leak behind the ground units at the end of the game. There are regular groundunits with strenght 60, but no air units in the area at all.
Also the helicopter ends with 36.

5. Helicopter movement
The helicopter cannot move over ocean titles. If i remember correct some other mod has changed this.

6. Promotion System
The Promotion System leaks a "good" feeling. Some promotions i never use (better fight on ice-titles, better fight in the desert, ...). Some other promotions seems to be missing (e.g. +general defence).
I worked on a promotion special Promotion System based on the unit and equipment (armor, drive, weapon). If you feel also that the promotion system might be need a little tweak, i will finish my work.

I realy don't see any point in building a "Police" Unit at the end of the game ...

I agree that the "Police" unit is a bit... weak i guess.. I like the possibility of having an internal policing type unit but the bonuses are simply confusing. For a late game unit, why does it have a bonus to melee units? There are no rioters in the game that I am aware of. :p I would suggest to make it more of a secret police unit somehow, along the lines of the Gestapo or NKVD, and as such only buildable with Police State, Martial Law etc. Perhaps some type of disadvantage to using said unit (besides what you're already suffering due to the stated suggested civic requirements?) besides combat. Start with Patrol 2 maybe? Make it a weak front line fighter but decent enough in rear areas.

1. Endgame Production
In endgame my cities had all around 600-800 production/turn. The most expansive unit was around 500 ... i think this is too cheap.
I like the idea to get some cheap cloning units in the game, but if you are able to spam the best units, this concept isn't working at all.
Would help me to adjust them if I knew on what game settings you played: difficulty, map size, game speed etc. All those affect production numbers.

2. Mass Building Selections
It is nice to have many diffrent buildings. But i am beginning to hate the interface. If u captured a City in Lategame, you have to search in the list from over 100 diffrent buildings the right one ...
Solutions might be:
- Chaging the interface (yeah, this isnt realistic, but is has to stand here)
- More Buildings that needs others to be build first (some Production Builds need others already)
- Upgrade Buildings (e.g. Libary will get to University)
- Obsolete Buildings (the School of Scribes gets obsolete ... the forge doesnt ... ?!?)
Good points there. I will add more production lines whenever that is possible. After you mentioned forge, I just had an idea and will make it upgrade to Steel Mill. With upgradeable building I can also limit production/science/culture values. :)

3. Mass Unit Selections
Also the unit Selection is ... too many. I realy don't see any point in building a "Police" Unit at the end of the game ... some others seems useless as well. I suggest to remove them out of the buildable units.
Police unit is the only unit that can prevent your cities joining enemy civ. I will check it's modifiers and make changes. It's meant to be rather passive unit with one special ability.

4. Air Units
I had the feeling the air units leak behind the ground units at the end of the game. There are regular groundunits with strenght 60, but no air units in the area at all.
Also the helicopter ends with 36.
Air units are lacking new future units mainly because there hasn't been good new unit graphics available on unit db. I tried to use units from Final Frontier as new air units but those units were always placed on water so I had to make ships from them. Same with helicopters - hopefully there will be more in future versions (or I'll just turn those floating robot units to "helicopter" type).

5. Helicopter movement
The helicopter cannot move over ocean titles. If i remember correct some other mod has changed this.
This was actually intentional, I didn't want helicopters to cross oceans, just gave them access to coastal plots.

6. Promotion System
The Promotion System leaks a "good" feeling. Some promotions i never use (better fight on ice-titles, better fight in the desert, ...). Some other promotions seems to be missing (e.g. +general defence).
I worked on a promotion special Promotion System based on the unit and equipment (armor, drive, weapon). If you feel also that the promotion system might be need a little tweak, i will finish my work.
I had general defense/offense promotions in early version but since AI players used nothing but those, I removed them. If you got ideas how to improve current promotion system, I'm all ears. I have some ideas written down to my notes that might end up into the mod eventually.

Would help me to adjust them if I knew on what game settings you played: difficulty, map size, game speed etc. All those affect production numbers.

It was normal game-speed, prince difficulty and normal map size (6 civilizations on two continents). I tend to build my cities a way, they aren't overlapping much ... the core cities had a size around 30-40 (one around 50).

Good points there. I will add more production lines whenever that is possible. After you mentioned forge, I just had an idea and will make it upgrade to Steel Mill. With upgradeable building I can also limit production/science/culture values. :)

If it is possible to upgrade buildings, this would be great. Let me suggest something like this:
Forge -> Guild Hall -> Steel Mill -> Factory -> Nano-Factory
Libery -> University -> Learning Network
... and so on

Then there is another "problem" with the current buildings-System. If you want to build up a new city in modern time, you need to build most of the buildings. Even with lots of money and hurry production with tons of gold, the city takes too long to be effective in any way. And it is kind of tiring to build every round a building and hurry it up.

Police unit is the only unit that can prevent your cities joining enemy civ. I will check it's modifiers and make changes. It's meant to be rather passive unit with one special ability.

ups, i didn't know that.
But let's think about the anti-tank or gurillia ... are they realy necessary in end-game??

This was actually intentional, I didn't want helicopters to cross oceans, just gave them access to coastal plots.

I think this would be enough - maybe able to attack ships?!?

I had general defense/offense promotions in early version but since AI players used nothing but those, I removed them. If you got ideas how to improve current promotion system, I'm all ears. I have some ideas written down to my notes that might end up into the mod eventually.

Oh, sry, i don't know the problems with the AI ... i think this is some Core work ... but there i did never touch the AI right now.

Very glad to see "DYP for CivIV" here ;) I also loved DYP and RaR in civ 3.

As usual, before playing I want to make a lot of Fair Start changes :mischief:

I haven't played RoM yet, but worrying about happiness/health balance, because there are a lot of happiness/health resources and buildings in the mod, much more than in vanilla. In would be great if you (or someone who played the game until the future era) attach or send me your saved game (of future or modern era), so I could have look into it.

In particular, I want to know,
  • up to how much population cities can grow in your mod?
  • how much health and happiness you have in cities throughout the game?

Any help will be appreciated :goodjob:

The cities can be get bigger.
- More happinies
- More health
- More food (buildings with +X% food)

I think you can reach a city size of 40 at the end without a problem (without future tech and without some ressources).

If it is possible to upgrade buildings, this would be great. Let me suggest something like this:
Forge -> Guild Hall -> Steel Mill -> Factory -> Nano-Factory
Libery -> University -> Learning Network
... and so on

Then there is another "problem" with the current buildings-System. If you want to build up a new city in modern time, you need to build most of the buildings. Even with lots of money and hurry production with tons of gold, the city takes too long to be effective in any way. And it is kind of tiring to build every round a building and hurry it up.

A way to fix this issue was to make a modern setler unit - lets call it a "City planner" which created a city starting from a better point. Could be like starting with 4 in population and with some of the basic buildings. ie. Granary, Forge, Monument, and maybe a little culture from start. This way it would actualy make sense to found new citys in the late game.

ups, i didn't know that.
But let's think about the anti-tank or gurillia ... are they realy necessary in end-game??

I agree more units need to obsolve. Units that are to weak to make any sense to build.

Top Bottom